Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Americana Tavern Signs Quilt

K8Orlando
12 years ago

Although I just started on this a few weeks ago I feel like saying "it's FINALLY done!". I bought this fabric a few years ago - that's part of the reason. Then I got bogged down after I finished the tiny stippling around the signs and it took a couple idle weeks before I picked it up again to complete the quilting and binding. I still have a few of the teal diamonds to applique on, but wanted to get pictures posted. It's a gift for my DH Jim; something he can nap with or take in the RV without worry about getting it dirty of smoky from a campfire. It's meant to be a manly man quilt.

It's 60"x60" - just right for the bed on an RV. The center is an uncut print of old tavern signs. The star blocks around the edges are paper pieced. The back is flannel - in the same print as the mahogany leaf print on the front, which is not flannel. The quilting thread is variegated which looked perfect before I started but now I wish I had used a solid brown. Oh well.

{{!gwi}}

The flannel backing wasn't quite big enough so I expanded it with red batik for the star points and more of the light leaf fabric from the front. The label block in the center of the star is pieced with many tiny pieces, mostly from scraps of the tavern signs. I think this is my favorite quilt back and I'm sure I'll use this giant star pattern again.

{{!gwi}}

Center detail: I stippled around the signs but didn't quilt on them, making them stand out and look puffier.

{{!gwi}}

Label detail:

{{!gwi}}

With a fabric pen I added a quotation by Samuel Johnson from the 1700's: "There is nothing which has yet been contrived by man, by which so much happiness is produced as by a good tavern." The name of this quilt is So Much Happiness.

Kate

Comments (16)

• polardream
    12 years ago

Kate, you did a beautiful job. I am sure your husband will love it! I really like your pieced back too! I know you must be really happy to have it finished.
    Sue

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Wonderful job. You can be very proud of this one. Love your back as well.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Kate, I remember you talking about this fabric.....and now, here it is! I really like the stars on the side and how you carried it over to the backing. Good job!

SharonG/FL

• wendyfaye
    12 years ago

Wow. Very nice

• User
    12 years ago

That is one fine manly quilt! I'll bet Jim will love it. Hope you don't mind me borrowing the backing idea.
    Dianne

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

cool! and very creative!

• fran1523
    12 years ago

That is one fantastic quilt and I love the back. Great job.

• cannahavana
    12 years ago

Very neat quilt! Love the back as much as the front.

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

I love the theme of the quilt. I especially like how you did the back. It's just as nice as the front!

Robbi

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I love it!! I never look at flannel - I definitely should after seeing this! Did you use batting also?
    When I quilt using variegated thread, it is always a bit jarring in the beginning, but than it looks great after washing and blends or provides the high contrast as needed.
    Absolutely love the label-it is a good way to add to the back incorporating the label.
    I think a more artistic label adds your 'signature' and you succeeded in making a label less utilitarian looking.
    I also like the striped binding - Tavern signage detail.
    Thanks for posting the pictures.

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Kate, what a great quilt! Your hubby will love it.

Donna

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Kate, What a wonderful job. Truly my kind of quilt. Love the choices you made and glad you didn't have enough flannel or you might not have created such a stunning back for his quilt. He is lucky to be blessed by the quilt and his creative wife. TFS

• day2day
    12 years ago

What a great quilt for a man! You did a wonderful job on it.
    Your DH will love it. It's such a unique idea for a manly quilt. Like the quotation too.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did use a very thin poly batting - that's not something I typically use but since it will be used in the RV I wanted something that wouldn't be as effected by humidity and would dry quickly. The poly seemed like a good idea. It gave a nice loft to the unquilted signs too.

Those of you who liked the flannel: did you see the email ad today from Connecting Threads? It's all about a new flannel line! Pretty Fall colors too.

Kate

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Wonderful quilt, and I'm sure your DH is going to love it!

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

I love it!!! Your stippling looks perfect I am still working on mine!!!
    Rosa

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals