Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using pencils on fabric question

Posted by quiltingfox (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 21:29

I read in an Amish quilting book that they use a pencil to trace patterns on to their fabric before cutting it out. Have any of you used a regular #2 pencil with grey lead to trace out patterns on fabric? Does it wash out? Is there a certain type of lead pencil that should be used like an F or an H lead? I would just like some feedback on this subject before I mark on any of my fabric.

Best to you and many thanks,
Sandra

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using pencils on fabric question

If it's your cutting line, you shouldn't be worried if it washes out. It's in the selvedge anyway. Just a thought.

o

If hand quilting you can stay on line and No 2 pencil marks will become a shadow that isn't noticed. If machine quilting and you miss lines the least bit they are going to show. They do not wash out. As a test I tried everything in the house and scrubbed with a toothbrush and the lines remain.
Bon
:)

o

I've heard of a washable graphite pencil that is used for marking quilts. And have also heard good results can be had using a regular #2 pencil if the fabric is starched first so the lead is on the starch and not imbedded in the fabric.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Interesting info

o

That is interesting on the graphite pencil. For the cost, I might have to try one. I normally use the heat/water erase pens for my hand work. I hope to do some stencil work and would like to try something new.

Robbi

o

I use a number 2 pencil to lightly mark quilt tops and it always washes out. Never thought about it before Sharon's post, but I use a lot of starch, so maybe that's the reason lol!!!!
And I never iron over the markings before I wash the quilt.
Rosa

o

There is alot of talk about using the Frixion gel pens made by Pilot for marking quilts - Do some research before you use them - the ink never really goes away or washes out - it disappears with heat and returns with freezing temps.
I read where a lady living in the midwest tested it over the winter buy putting her finished quilts in her car & yup-the markings returned only to disappear again.
These are being promoted at quilt shows.

Here is a link that might be useful: about Frixion Pens

o

Thank you all. That is very helpful information to have. I think I may try using a regular pencil to mark on fabric that I quilt so long as I am not using it for applique or stenciling. Not in the habit of using starch, might have to get some of that.

Sandra

o

Great tips girls!! Use starch and don't iron!!! Why didn't I think of that!!!! Thank you Thank you! You just changed my world!
Bon
:)

o

I have a Frixion pen with black ink but would never use it to mark a quilting pattern. True, the ink disappears when ironed but the only thing it's good for, in my opinion, is to be able to see a cutting line easier.....and that is what I use it for when my eyes are bothering me.

SharonG/FL

o

Sandra I use a lot of starch and glue on everything lol!!!!! I even starched the denim blocks I am making. Starch makes it so easy to match seams, easier to baste, and easier to quilt. And THEN I wash it all out!
Years ago I used one of the blue pens that washes out, I marked an area and didn't finish quilting it for months (years?? lol) and some had disappeared but most of it was still noticeable. I tried everything to get it out and it always came back. Sooooooooooooo, I learned the hard way to use a light hand when marking and wash it out as soon as I can.
First I have heard of the Frixion pen!!
Rosa

o

Thank you all. Is very helpful to know about this stuff especially the starch. I will have to read up on the graphite pencil. Thank you bunches for your input. :-)

Sandra

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here