Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quiltingfox

Using pencils on fabric question

quiltingfox
12 years ago

I read in an Amish quilting book that they use a pencil to trace patterns on to their fabric before cutting it out. Have any of you used a regular #2 pencil with grey lead to trace out patterns on fabric? Does it wash out? Is there a certain type of lead pencil that should be used like an F or an H lead? I would just like some feedback on this subject before I mark on any of my fabric.

Best to you and many thanks,

Sandra

Comments (15)

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

If it's your cutting line, you shouldn't be worried if it washes out. It's in the selvedge anyway. Just a thought.

• bonica
    12 years ago

If hand quilting you can stay on line and No 2 pencil marks will become a shadow that isn't noticed. If machine quilting and you miss lines the least bit they are going to show. They do not wash out. As a test I tried everything in the house and scrubbed with a toothbrush and the lines remain.
    Bon
    :)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I've heard of a washable graphite pencil that is used for marking quilts. And have also heard good results can be had using a regular #2 pencil if the fabric is starched first so the lead is on the starch and not imbedded in the fabric.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Interesting info

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

That is interesting on the graphite pencil. For the cost, I might have to try one. I normally use the heat/water erase pens for my hand work. I hope to do some stencil work and would like to try something new.

Robbi

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

I use a number 2 pencil to lightly mark quilt tops and it always washes out. Never thought about it before Sharon's post, but I use a lot of starch, so maybe that's the reason lol!!!!
    And I never iron over the markings before I wash the quilt.
    Rosa

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

There is alot of talk about using the Frixion gel pens made by Pilot for marking quilts - Do some research before you use them - the ink never really goes away or washes out - it disappears with heat and returns with freezing temps.
    I read where a lady living in the midwest tested it over the winter buy putting her finished quilts in her car & yup-the markings returned only to disappear again.
    These are being promoted at quilt shows.

Here is a link that might be useful: about Frixion Pens

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all. That is very helpful information to have. I think I may try using a regular pencil to mark on fabric that I quilt so long as I am not using it for applique or stenciling. Not in the habit of using starch, might have to get some of that.

Sandra

• bonica
    12 years ago

Great tips girls!! Use starch and don't iron!!! Why didn't I think of that!!!! Thank you Thank you! You just changed my world!
    Bon
    :)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I have a Frixion pen with black ink but would never use it to mark a quilting pattern. True, the ink disappears when ironed but the only thing it's good for, in my opinion, is to be able to see a cutting line easier.....and that is what I use it for when my eyes are bothering me.

SharonG/FL

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Sandra I use a lot of starch and glue on everything lol!!!!! I even starched the denim blocks I am making. Starch makes it so easy to match seams, easier to baste, and easier to quilt. And THEN I wash it all out!
    Years ago I used one of the blue pens that washes out, I marked an area and didn't finish quilting it for months (years?? lol) and some had disappeared but most of it was still noticeable. I tried everything to get it out and it always came back. Sooooooooooooo, I learned the hard way to use a light hand when marking and wash it out as soon as I can.
    First I have heard of the Frixion pen!!
    Rosa

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all. Is very helpful to know about this stuff especially the starch. I will have to read up on the graphite pencil. Thank you bunches for your input. :-)

Sandra

• rtripl
    3 years ago

Thank you for that info about the starch

• trouzernc
    3 years ago

I don’t starch and I use a mechanical marking pencil for my embroidery designs on 100% cotton. I mark as faintly as I can and if I make a mistake or need to get rid of any markings, I use a “Fabric Eraser” to softly erase the marks. Yep, it says “Fabric Eraser” on it! Can’t read the brand on my mechanical pencils (2 of the same) but I’m pretty sure I got it at a quilt show or quilting online shop. It can store leads and has a little click piece down near the bottom that automatically advances a lead when the other is used up.

• grammyp
    3 years ago

I have only used a pencil to mark things that will be in the seam allowance. I may have to give Sharon's suggestion a try. I did try the Frixion pen on some scrap fabric, and it does reappear if it gets cold.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    3 years ago

One thing I did like the Frixion pens for was redwork with a red pen. I used it lightly but was able to see the lines better and should it get cold and come back, it's red! I see they have various colors now, but I just used it for some redwork I was playing with.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH