Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

Help find a product

jennifer_in_va
10 years ago

My DD has decided to create a 'business' for her fellow girl scouts. She is going to sell her sewing services for sewing badges and patches onto vests. (She had one mom recently say she spent $42 for a tailor to sew on 7 patches!!) DD is only going to charge $1 per patch, doing this basically as a service to her fellow sisters.

So, here's my problem. She anticipates collecting vests & patches at her meetings. Each girl usually likes to decide where each patch is going to go on the vest. Pins don't work real well, and we need something to hold the patch in place while DD sews as well...she's not so proficient to do it w/o something holding it in place.

If DD had something that could hold the patch in place, and maybe dry over the course of the meeting, then she wouldn't need to worry about them falling out of place on the way home. Plus, they'd be held in place while sewing.

I first thought Elmer's glue, but I'm not sure it wouldn't soak through the vest fabric, and don't think it'd dry in time to carry home. Glue stick doesn't seem strong enough. I thought Steam A Seam, but would rather not have to take an iron & board to every meeting.

What would you suggest? Is there a miracle adhesive that would work with the stiffness of a patch? Help!

Comments (12)

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I would suggest she request each girl safety pin her badge in place in the location it is to be sewn.
    Take a pic for re-location - at home - then use a low tack glue gun sparingly to glue the badge - weight it down with a heavy book until set and flat. Sew on.
    She should take it a step further and write up a "Work Order" for the girls to sign - Sew 2 badges @ 1.00 each - etc.
    Great learning experience -

• janice__indiana5
    10 years ago

I use a product called Roxanne's glue baste it. I think this might work, or how about a stapler with real thin staples?

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

What about Stitch Witchery? Comes on a roll, easy to find, cheap. Looks like there is a "heavy duty" or super weight that might be better for your purpose than the lightweight.

Or how about Heat n' Bond Ultra Hold Iron-On Adhesive?
    "Ultrahold Iron-On adheisve is a paper backled sheet of solid heat activated adhesive. It uses a low temperature & short pressing time so it allows for a wider range of materials that can be bonded."

tee hee......the typos were not mine!

Teresa

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

How about double stick tape - and a cell phone photo to confirm placement, just in case a badge comes loose? The real sticky, heavy duty one is marketed as carpet tape.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

I like the double stick tape idea. I've also seen double stick peel away foam cushion tacks, ( sorry, I don't know the proper name). same concept as tape, but the foam has peel away paper on both sides to reveal the adhesive...similar to the 3m command strip hangers.
    Painters tape... Just tape the badge in place, when she gets home she can pin it in place and sew.
    The tape ideas may be more cost effective. Your girl scout is quite the entrepreneur, Good for her!

• janice__indiana5
    10 years ago

Another thought... using a water-soluble marker to mark the spot and the back of the patch with a number. When you get home then fuse in place with a little piece of steam a seam light, and let her stitch away! This way you wouldn't have to carry the iron with you to the meeting. Good Luck with whatever you decide to use. I think this will be a great learning experience!

• janice__indiana5
    10 years ago

Another thought... using a water-soluble marker to mark the spot and the back of the patch with a number. When you get home then fuse in place with a little piece of steam a seam light, and let her stitch away! This way you wouldn't have to carry the iron with you to the meeting. Good Luck with whatever you decide to use. I think this will be a great learning experience!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I, personally, think the badges are too thick for safety pins, or it might be I'm not strong enough to push the pin through it and the vest, too. Could try painters tape (or any tape that wouldn't leave a residue) to hold it in place til you get home, then stitchwitchery it on to keep it in place for sewing. I'd think to stay away from the heavy-duty fusibles unless it's only a dot or two as they can be really stiff. I like the staple idea, too....OR, remember those plastic tag things like what its used for price tags? How easy would that be!!?? then just snip the plastic thing away. :-)

SharonG/FL

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like the carpet tape idea, and marking the location with a pencil/marker 'just in case' too!

The stapler won't work because some badges are so far in from the edge that the stapler won't reach.

Those plastic tag things are a great idea for holding patches in place temporarily. I have one of those that I don't use anymore. We'll have to try it out and see if it can go through the patch. Then we can use something like the stitch witchery when at home for the sewing step.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!!!

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

If all the vests are the same she could add a diagram to her invoice and write the name of the badge in it's appropriate location. Then label a baggie with the patches inside and clip it to the vest or sash. Then use whatever adhesive works for stitching it on. Night high tech, but maybe easier?
    LindaB/CA

• calliope
    10 years ago

A stapler doesn't have to 'reach'. Just open it up like you were stapling to a wall, lay the vest down on a hard surface and whap it. It should hold the patch on fine until sewing time.

• kiendu
    10 years ago

I would use a spray adhesive... I actually sew on patches for my granddaughters troup and that's what I use. Flip them over and lay them on a piece of newspaper, spray and place on the vest, apply pressure and sew when I get to them. Usually, I'll just stop by a meeting with a box and we'll "place" all the badges and I gently fold them over and lay each vest in my box.

I use 505, it doesn't gum up my sewing needle. I actually use it as basting spray also when I'm quilting a project together. Works great!