Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tuppermom

I was adopted by a "new" machine today!

tuppermom
11 years ago

I was driving in a nearby town today and the main street was blocked because of an accident so I turned right and went down a sidestreet. There on the front yard was a Singer 15 in a nice maple table with a free sign on her. Of course I stopped! As I was struggling to get her into the van a gentleman came out of his house and offered his help. The machine belonged to his wife who had recently gone into a nursing home. He hoped the machine would go to someone who would appreciate it and I said I would. His wife's name is Mary and I found the machine on Fairview Dr. near Mary St. I was so meant to go down that street today! And I have named her .......Mary!

Just checked the serial number and it was allotted on March 27th 1950.....exactly 2 years before I was born!

I will take pictures tomorrow in the sun .....she is pretty!

Mary

Comments (21)

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Congratulations. Serendipity...bet you'll make something beautiful on it.

• loisflan
    11 years ago

What a sweet story. I'm so glad "Mary" found a home with you.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

I think you found each other. It was meant to be!

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Congratulations. Somewhere in a nursing home is a little old lady smiling because you will love her dear machine. It was just meant to be.

• tuppermom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We are currently in the middle of a bathroom remodel but after that it may be time for a bedroom remodel. I have an L shaped counter in one corner that I had DH build for me about 15 years ago. I intended to sew in the bedroom but I like to sew late at night so that never worked out. It has become a catchall and never seems to be cleaned off. Time to pull it out, put "Mary" in there and maybe a small table to put "Laverne" my FW in there too. With those great "girls" there I will make an effort to put away or giveaway!
    What I really need to do is re-do my daughter's room as my sewing room but DH thinks it is too soon.....she is not really settled away from home and may be back.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

So glad for you!
    Enjoy her.
    Good luck with the bathroom remodel. They can be a royal pain.
    Theresa

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

Sometimes karma is awesome!!

Have fun :-) (and not with the bathroom remodel! BTDT)

Robbi

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Congrats! Definitely a perfect match! I'm sure the gentleman feels better knowing you will take good care of his wife's sewing machine. Let us know how she sews.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

What a nice story! He'd probably been watching out the window to see who would pick up the machine. Enjoy!

Donna

• buteau3rd
    11 years ago

Y'know I learned a long time ago that there is no such thing as a coincidence...!! I also do love the "old" Singers. Enjoy!
    Marge

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

How nice that you are giving this machine a new home! I'll bet the gentleman felt good giving his wife's machine to a person who actually does sew.

You might want to get the wiring and cord checked out and get them replaced. When I got my mom's 1951 Singer 15, the first thing I did was get a new cord and get "Vera" tuned up (Vera is my mom's first name).

Just recently I finally found a name for my Swedish Husqvarna Viking - "Frejya" - it is Nordic and means lady or mistress. "Gracie" is my Singer Featherweight, "Sissie" is my Brother serger, and I honestly can't remember if I named my Singer Fashion Mate 1969 model.

Teresa

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

That's awesome how you found that machine, giving it a good home, definitely sounds like it was meant to be. Hope you enjoy it and get lots of use out of it.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Congratulations! it was meant to be and I'm so happy you found each other. It sounds like the one my mom had when I was growing up, my niece is now in possession of that treasure. Your new machine was born on my birth month and date, but not year.... odd
    Please do post a picture! I need to see if it's the same as the one I learned how to sew on under my moms guidance.
    V.

• tuppermom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Mary" is still in my van. DH and DS have been busy with the bathroom renovation so haven't taken her out yet. :(

littlehelen March 27th is my birthday too!

I can hardly wait to try her out but I also want the bathroom done. Priorities!!

Mary

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Sometimes a detour leads to a treasure that is met to be found. Enjoy your find and as you sew on Mary think of of all the pleasure it must have given the little old lady who gave her to you. I hope she knows how much it is loved. TFS.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Mary...I'm sure you will love your birthday machine... perhaps our b-date has a special spell over it! It was born just 5 years before me.
    After the remodel...I look forward to seeing Mary!
    Valarie

• tuppermom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here she is.....sorry not a great picture but the house is topsey turvey at the moment.
    In the drawer was a singer oil can, a tube of motor lubricant in the box, a box of attachments, the old screwdriver and the manual.

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

She is beautiful! Sew exciting - the machine, not the remodel :)
    She adopted a nice friend for an owner.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

She's fabulous! Very similar to the one I learned to sew on, but a model or two older. What a great find for Birthday partner... Happy sewing!
    Valarie

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Love how beautiful they made machines back then. I learned on a Singer treadle that my Mom had and it was great.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

THis looks like the one my mother traded her treadle in on. A wonderful machine which had lots of use including making my wedding dress and those of the bridesmaids.
    Theresa

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022