Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

What would you do with a duvet?

TxMarti
12 years ago

I just pulled off the cover because it was such a pain to keep the duvet from bunching up. I will admit it was a cheap cover that I bought last Christmas when company was due in and I didn't have a quilt for my new guest bed.

So, I can make a better quality duvet cover, or what?

Comments (12)

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Make a quilt top for one side (or both!) and use great backing fabric for the bottom side. Just like a quilt but not quilted; actually, more like a giant pillowcase. Sew some ties onto the duvet and corresponding ties into the inside seams of the cover so you can secure the duvet to the cover. That prevents bunching.

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Sorry to be so dumb, but specifically, what is a duvet?

SharonG/FL

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

It's a cover for a featherbed/comforter, Sharon.

I've been dying to make a king size duvet that's a quilt. I think I'd line the quilted top to protect the seams and maybe even quilt the top to a flannel lining or something so it looks like a quilt. But, turning it into a giant pillowcase is exactly what I'd do. You can close the end with velcro or buttons/snaps.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Someone in a class I took had made one for a teenager. She used a thin poly batting and a light backing, quilted it, then proceeded to make it a Duvet Cover pillowcase style with a coordinated backing. It was very girly pink and black and looked wonderful.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I should say, the class had nothing to do with making the Duvet cover :). In fact, I can't remember what we did in the class, but I remember the Duvet cover!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Well, I know very well what a featherbed is and I would never have it on top of me like a comforter. So, a duvet is something to slide the featherbed into? And then you cover it with a sheet when making the bed?

Sorry to sound so dense.....

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My duvet is just like a big fluffy comforter. It's like a pillow only that it needs a cover to keep it clean.

• calliope
    12 years ago

Duvets are the norm in much of Europe. I love them and they make life easy because nine times out of ten one can just wash the duvet cover and air out the duvet on a sunny clothesline occasionally! A duvet is just a fluffy comforter with a giant pillowcase over it. Washing the cover is like washing the pillowslip. It removes the body oils and one just slips the duvet (comforter) back inside the cover.

• wendyfaye
    12 years ago

Yah...*sigh*... up here I have a duvet on my bed 8-10 months of the year. I sleep UNDER it and love it to death. They kinda go hand-in-hand with 6 feet of snow ;)

Faye

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Sharon, a duvet is a fluffy comforter so you sleep under it, not on it. Reading back through the posts I can see how that was a little confusing. I had a down comforter/duvet and used a duvet cover to keep it clean because washing a down comforter is not fun or easy. That was before my quilting days so my covers were just sheets sewn together into a big pillowcase; I used pretty ribbon at the open end to tie it closed.

• lola99
    12 years ago

Great ideas on this thread. We have duvets in all of our bedrooms, but I've never made a cover. One of our covers is so old that I was thinking about buying a new one. Now I think I'll measure the old one and piece a top, and turn it into a duvet cover! I've never had trouble with them bunching. Every now and then I flip it so the "bottom" is at the "top" to keep the feathers from all ending up at the bottom, but Kate's suggestion of putting ties inside may help that...

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Guess I'll just stick with quilts on the beds.

Thanks for putting up with me. @:)

SharonG/FL