Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quiltingfox

My Deer Leaf Motif Baby Quilt

quiltingfox
11 years ago

This is the Deer Leaf Motif baby quilt that I designed, drew free-handed based on a photo of a Leaf Quilt that my great-grandmother made before I was born. The leaves are machine appliqued and in the border are small leaves stitch in by hand, and my M-I-L (baby's great-grandmother) and I hand quilted this quilt in January 2012. This baby quilt was made for my great-nephew as his dad likes hunting, thus the deer scenes in each leaf.

Best to you,

Sandra

{{!gwi}}

Comments (18)

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well let's see if the quilt photo posts this time.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Sandra, what a great job! This quilt will be cherished.

Kate

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

I'm impressed...hand quilting...agree w/ Kate, it will be cherished.
    V.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Lucky baby! Fabulous quilt and a history too.

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all glad you like this quilt. :-) I am wanting to do a queen-size version of this quilt with woodland animal scenes in the large leaves for my younger brother - hoping to start that quilt in 2013, been slowly buying fabric for it as I can find it in stores. Hope everyone has a good night.

Best to you and many thanks,
    Sandra

• calliope
    11 years ago

I am such a fan of non-juvenile themed baby quilts. They transition so nicely into blankies older kids will use. Most kids are fascinated by animals, so that's a natural. This one is special.

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

what a lovely keepsake. You did a great job.

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Sandra, that's a wonderful quilt. You are very talented. And what a wonderful history to go along with it. And a dad who loves hunting. Great job!

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Calliope, Linda, and Lois. I usually try to make baby quilts big enough for a 3 year old to use during naptime, so I guess they are more like toddler quilts than baby quilts. Including this quilt,2 of the last 3 baby quilts I have made have not had juvenile prints. One that I made in 2010 the I emailed pics of typical/traditonal baby fabric and then on a whim emailed her the apple fabric as I know she loves read and she chose the apple fabric and I made her a Card Tricks baby/toddler quilt. I'll attach a pic of it.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a close up of the apple fabric Card Tricks block from my friend's 2010 baby/toddler quilt that I made. I can't remember if I posted this quilt on the GW, but in June my computer crashed and I lost all my internet bookmarks, so I don't have links anymore to my old GW posts.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Gorgeous quilts Sandra!!!

My family likes me to make a birth quilt with the date, time, weight etc. and then they put it in the closet lol!!!

I think a queen size in woodland animal scenes is going to be beautiful!!!
    Rosa

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Rosa! :-) I am excited about my brothers quilt and have purchased deer, bear, wolf, and hawk fabric so far. Hopefully will start his in 2013.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Sandra, that deer leaf quilt is kewl! And, here's a thought, you could "grow" that quilt as your great-nephew grows by adding borders to it and turning the original quilt into a central medallion. Lol, as if you needed another idea for another project to add to the pile, right? As my mother keeps saying to me..."just trying to be a blessing!" It's a great quilt, and he's going to love it.
    Dan

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Dan! I don't think I will be "growing" this quilt. Here is my current quilting to do list:

---Grandma's queen-size quilt (hand-quilting now 2012)
    ---Parents' queen-size quilt (hand-sewing blocks now 2009 -2013)
    ---Brother's queen-size quilt (still buying fabric - may start in 2013)
    ---Husband's queen-size lighthouse quilt (he says he wants it to be a 5 year quilting project - I have got to learn how to paper-piece before doing this project and I have got to draw a bunch of lighthouse blocks and design the whole thing - have bought some of the fabric - may start in 2013 or 2014)
    --- Wanting to make a Lily Pond crazy scrap quilt and a Jewel Box scrap quilt both queen-size for me to keep - have started the crazy quilt blocks this summer - have only made plastic template for the Jewel Box quilt

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, and I want to make a spring florals print log cabin (cheater quilt) with minky backing for the RV.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Lol, your list makes me tired just reading it!

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It overwhelms me to just think about it. So today instead of quilting I finished reading 1 book and then started a 2nd. :-)

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Sandra, I am a reader - it is hard to sew and read at the same time! Love your quilts! Very thoughtful keepsakes.