Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

For Abbi's Boys

Used a few orphan blocks, the Snowball novelty blocks received from a 2011 BD Swap here on the forum and a couple strips to 'make' them fit. A little patriotic and a little fun. The other quilt will be the same layout but where the large blue stars are in this one, the next one will have gold stars so the boys can tell them apart. Size is approx 57"X59" at this point.

SharonG/FL

Comments (18)

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Thrifty and fun! I'll bet the boys love them. So many fun fabrics to tease the senses. Love the border choice.
    LindaB/CA

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LindaB, I'm hoping the boys will love them. I think they will. Right now, this is just the top and I plan to put the other one together this week. I looked at fun fleece fabric for backing today, but nothing struck my fancy. Might have to pull out some larger pieces of novelty fabric I have and see what I can come up with. :-)

Using blocks that are on hand is a challenge for me, but also very fulfilling in that they can be used in a project that is close to my heart.....that of giving comfort.

SharonG/FL

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

How very clever of you! I'm sure they'll have fun with them!

And how very accomplished you are for being 'blind'!! hmmm, maybe you just don't want to see us at retreat?!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, well, I didn't make the Snowballs, and the granny squares were made before the second surgery.....besides, how difficult is it to feel those squares nestle together and the same thing for the stars. I do admit to sewing on pinheads, getting a bit close to fingers while sewing and rotary cutting and using the rip-it tool more than I normally would, though. I must give DH some credit too in giving his opinion to some of the 'auditions' I've put out. LOL

Not want to see you? I wouldn't be able to 'see' you (or tell who you were), if I were there unless you were smack dab within 8 - 10 feet of me. Besides, I have a plan to have my laptop going full time and be at my sewing machine working on my 'retreat' project while y'all are there. I even have a project in mind. Maybe some of the rest of the gals that cannot attend will be able to do the same thing. :-)

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Very cute!
    Funny... I had the same thought as Jen...your quilting does not appear to have been hampered due to your surgeries...you are doing great.

Btw: Your July lotto blocks were mailed on Monday, you should have them this week.
    V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Small glitch but it's ok. Abbi has requested that, if possible, the gold star color be changed as gold stars usually represent someone has died in combat. Even though the boys wouldn't know that, I sure don't want to do anything that would make her feel uneasy, so I'm glad I shared my intentions with her. The quilts won't be as much alike as I had planned, but, that's ok. Hopefully, I'll have the 2nd top completed tomorrow.

SharonG/FL

• calliope
    10 years ago

That's awfully cute and an inspiration. My youngest grandson is a very precocious three and past the point of 'baby' designs and this strikes me as something a little boy would enjoy with all those interesting geometric figures.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Calliope. One of the boys is probably just beyond the baby stage and the other one will be shortly. There are enough animals, cars, trucks, etc in the novelty fabrics to carry it past being baby.....I did think of that and the reason I opted for the Cars fabric for the border.

For the backing, I'm hoping to pull from my stash and sew some pieces together. I 'accidently' have been buying fabric when I'm supposed to be using up what I have, so will have to rectify that action. LOL

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

How cute! Good thing you made the blue stars quilt first.
    If Abbi is still here, maybe she can write each little guy's name and draw a picture or write something on a block on each individual quilt - help them know who's quilt is who and feel closer to Mommy.
    This is very sweet of you and a great use of the blocks.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marsha, Abbi hasn't been in the states for a few weeks now, but I'm in touch with her through FB. I hope to have these quilts done by the time she has her next leave. I plan to let her decide which one should go to which boy. She can't really see what's on the novelty fabric in the pictures, but I don't know if that would make a difference or not. We'll see how that goes. :-)

SharonG/FL

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

Love 'em Sharon!!!! The Cars fabric for the border is really cute, all of the boys in my fam love them, some girls too. I never knew that gold stars were symbolic.

I'll be running around while everyone is having a ball at retreat, but, it'll be fun to be working on a project at the same time. Lately, I'm crocheting an afghan for a gift and embroidering my bluework snowmen. Maybe I'll be far enough along to start on the quilt blocks.

Glad your eye site is good enough to enjoy quilting!
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, got the next top completed. I don't remember what I had in mind with the red, white and blue blocks that are in the top corners. There were 3 of them and it looks like they might have started out as a D9P but I couldn't find a 4th one. Anyway, made them into what you see...and they sort of resemble a heart, you think? Glad it's done as I'm running out of spunk.

Yeaaaa for me....more orphan blocks out of my containers! Did you notice the 2 centers are granny squares? I had five made, ran out of fabric to make a 6th and couldn't figure out a design for five that I liked, so the boys get 4 of them.

SharonG/FL

• grammyp
    10 years ago

What great boys quilts. I'm sure they will love them.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The boys quilts are all done and thanks to Beverly and her friend, they are backed with blue camo (we're saying the blue represents Abbi's Air Force) flannel, quilted and pillowcases made using the backing, with the cuff like the borders and the trim matching the binding of the quilt. The timing is perfect as the boys are here in town for Thanksgiving (even though mom isn't) and gramma is having Parker's birthday on Sunday so we'll do the presenting then. I cannot thank Beverly enough for all she's done. May she be blessed abundantly.

• grammyp
    10 years ago

You are so very welcome, and I am blessed beyond measure. I know the boys will love them.

beverly

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

The timing is perfect! The quilts are perfect! And your friendship, warmth , and generosity beyond perfect!
    Love the blue camo fabric - the little guys will love it.
    Now, let's get Abbi home safe!!!

• polardream
    10 years ago

Sharon, The quilts are just wonderful! I am sure the boys will love them and they are great!

Sue

• fran1523
    10 years ago

What an awesome way to use orphan blocks. They are great quilts ready for the rough and tumble those boys may give them. Kudos.