Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kay6271

October - November 2010 Applique/PP Lotto

kay6271
13 years ago

With the holidays coming up, I thought I'd get this posted a bit early. Again, it will be something a bit different.

This time, instead of everyone doing an applique or paper-pieced block, I'm going to post 2 blocks, one of each format for you to choose from. I believe they'll blend nicely, and you'll be able to choose which you prefer, or do some of each.

Traditional rules say that you may enter from 1 to 3 blocks. But since we're offering 2 patterns, would anyone object to setting the limit at 4 blocks for this lotto instead? For each block you send, your name will be entered once. Please put your blocks, along with a slip of paper with your real name, address, and FORUM name, inside a plastic baggie. Also, please follow common lotto and block swap rules in regards to fur free, smoke and scent free 100% quilting cotton to be used. Please include one dollar (or e-mail me for alternatives) to cover postage for sending on to the winner.

Address for mailing to moderator:

Kay Barkdoll

12026 Punch Bowl Rd

Mercersburg, PA 17236

For the applique:

You may use any SEWABLE fusible of your choice (Cathy recommends Heat and Bond Lite) to secure your pieces. Any style/type of applique will be acceptable, BUT ALL MUST INCLUDE STITCHING TO SECURELY COVER THE RAW EDGES OF YOUR PATCHES! (In other words, no fusible ONLY applique!)

You will have 3 months to work on your blocks. They must be received by the moderator by the last day of the November.

The winner will be chosen on the first of the first of December.

The applique pattern is a snowflake. Directions can be found at: http://home.arcor.de/lindatacke/pattern/foldcut.htm. This block will be done in white on a background of midnight or navy blue. Cut your base square at 12-1/2", for a 12" finished block. The white may be solid or white on white. The process to make your pattern is like going back to elementary school... fold your square of freezer paper in eighths, and start snipping to make a snowflake. These will probably be much easier to do on fusible interfacing and then sewn around the edge rather than needle-turning the twists and turns. It may be simple or complex depending on what mood you're in while you're making it. And by the way, the Better Homes and Gardens website has a fun "make a snowflake" page that uses this process when the holidays approach. Maybe it will be up while we're still working on our snowflakes. Lots of inspiration there!

Now, for the paper pieced block. It's a pattern called Star O'er Bethlehem and is on the Quilter's Cache at: http://www.quilterscache.com/S/StarO%27erBethlehemBlock.html. So that the stars will blend well with the snowflakes, please keep the colors toward the blue range, rather than the purple that is shown on the pattern.

These are both fairly simple blocks, and I hope you'll have fun with them. Even if we only get a few, they'd make an outstanding holiday wall hanging or table runner.

Comments (30)

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Here is the link to the paper piece block.
    Great idea Kay! to combine the applique & PP.

Here is a link that might be useful: Star O'er Bethlehem

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Here is the link to the snowflake

Here is a link that might be useful: Applique snowflake

• kay6271
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, it's almost October, so thought I'd bump this back up to visibility, since I posted it so early. Thanks, Magothy River Girl for posting the links in an easier to use format!

So who's game for making some snowflakes?

To get your creative juices flowing, make one on line using the link below!

Here is a link that might be useful: BH&G Snowflake Page

• kay6271
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, this lotto has been posted for almost two months now and we have no participants. I was planning on making at least one of each, but hey, am I the only one?

I could use some feedback, please. Is it the pattern choice or time constraints? Or is there no interest in applique and/or paper piece projects?

If you like the patterns, and like the option of choosing between applique and paper piece for this lotto, but are just too busy this fall, would you like to just move this to the Jan/Feb Applique/Paper Piece Lotto time period?

Please discuss, because I'm not sure what to do with this!

Thanks,
    Kay

• tdsully
    13 years ago

I will do the star of Bethlehem but I was alittle confused about the snowflake. I tried to look at the link and I didn't understand what I was suppose to do.

• kay6271
    Original Author
    13 years ago

On the snowflake, it's basically cutting out a snowflake like we did in elementary school. I used freezer paper to play with until I came up with a snowflake I liked that I felt was simple enough to use as an applique pattern.

Basically you take a square of freezer paper or other paper and fold it in quarters. Then fold on the diagonal to bring it to an eighth, that's shaped like a triangle.

Cut notches & shapes to suit your tastes along the edges of the folded paper. Open the paper out and see what you came up with. If you like it, then that's your pattern for your applique snowflake. If not, practice on paper again until you get one you like. My first turned out to be WAYYYY more complex than I wanted to deal with, but the second I liked very much, and will be using it as my pattern.

Because it's symmetrical, you don't have to worry about whether you're trying to transfer the pattern in reverse or not, as you do with some appliques.

If you like to turn under the edge and then either hand or machine stitch, the freezer paper pattern is your final pattern. Just cut your snowflake larger to allow for the seam allowance you'll be turning under.

I like using sew on fusible backing for applique. So I'll trace my freezer paper snowflake onto the paper side of the fusible backing and then fuse it to the white fabric I'll use as my snowflake. Then cut it out and fuse to the blue background square. Machine stitch around the edge (satin or other decorative stitching holds well) to keep the edge from fraying.

Voila, you're done. The complexity of your project depends on how complicated you cut your pattern.

• tdsully
    13 years ago

Okay, now I understand. I did print out a pattern, but I like your explaination better. If no one else signs up I'll make a table runner for myself.

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

I found my patterns for this last night and was wondering the status of this. Anyone participating?

• kay6271
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We haven't had much interest, but I'm still planning on making at least one of each. Even 3 blocks total would make a nice table runner, so I don't plan to cancel the lotto.

Kay

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

I'm going to try one of each of these. I don't know or haven't tried much machine applique, so I will hand applique the snowflake. Are there any suggestions on the blue background? Light, dark, batiks?

On the Star of Bethlehem, the star is blue and gold on a white background, right?

Sorry for all the questions, I have so many different blocks and projects going, I trying to sort out all the fabrics and I'm getting so confused!

Thanks,
    Robbi

• kay6271
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm going through the same thing! I just finally had to make a chart of all the projects so I can keep track of where I am on each and when each is due!

As for the snowflake, I can't imagine hand applique-ing it, you're braver than I!! I was envisioning the background of that block being about the same tone as the dark blue in the star. That way they can be used in the same wall hanging or table runner or whatever.

As for the star, I'm thinking darker than medium for the blue, and yes, gold with a white background. I printed out the foundations yesterday and took a closer look at the star and it looks like it has 2 dark blues in it. On my monitor, one of them almost looks purple. I had thought that we should stay away from the purple, but on second thought, as long as it's dark, even that should be okay.

The main thing, I think, is to make the blue dark so that it will blend with a dark blue snowflake background to tie the blocks together.

Hope my rambling didn't just fuzz up the answer. But simply, let's keep the snowflake background and blue in the star pretty dark, and the other color in the star could be a dark blue or purple, along with the gold star points and white background.

As for the fabric for the dark blue, solid or tone-on-tone would work as long as there's not too much lighter tone in it... same with batik, but I think you'd have more of a problem finding a batik without a fairly wide range of darks to lights in it.

Kay

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

Thank you Kay! Now, off to the fabric store. I should be good for one of each block. I like the idea of using these together. I think they'll play good with each other.

Robbi

• kay6271
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Time for an update.

Did anybody have time to try these blocks? I made one snowflake and spent yesterday working on the star. What a mistake!! I promise I will NEVER list a paper pieced pattern again without making it first! That one is such a bear I gave up.

But I do have a snowflake available if anyone else has worked on this lotto.

Please let me know.

Thanks, Kay

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

Well, I spent most of the day working on this ONE paper piece block. Boy, is this pattern really messed up! Being it was only my second pp attempt, it really made it more difficult. I don't like how it came out. It seems puckered and didn't line up well at all. But I'm sending it anyhow. Maybe someone can make some sense out of it?

I also did one of the snow flake applique. I did mine by hand and really enjoyed doing that block.

Anyhow, they are both on their way to the post office. I hope they arrive in time!

Robbi

• tdsully
    13 years ago

Kay,
    I ended up doing one of each. I agree that the paper piece was difficult. I didn't get to line up exactly straight. The snowflake was easier,but I don't applique very well. anyway I mailed mine last week hope they got to you. Tara

• kay6271
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, Tara, they're here! And you did a much better job than I did on that star! I can't get mine to line up enough to even try to finish it! But, I'm having cataract surgeries next Tuesday and the following.. so that might have influenced how difficult I found it. I just can't see!!!

I, too, really enjoyed doing the snowflake, Robbi. Believe me, there will NEVER be that difficult a paper piece pattern again on here, at least while I'm moderating!

Feedback would be welcome, though, on how you feel about having the combination of paper piece and applique in the same month, with the choice to do either or both.

• kay6271
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Robbi, your blocks arrived today, and I have Tara's. As noted above, I had too much trouble with the paper pieced block, so I'll only be sending the appliqued one. And because of that, I won't be leaving my name in the pot. So it's between the 2 of you.

I'll be back online at about 7 this evening to do the monthly lotto drawing, so I'll have someone pick a number for your blocks at that time as well.

Good luck! And I promise, the next applique & paper piece lotto WILL be easier! I've already picked out some patterns and will be trying them out before posting!

Kay

• kay6271
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Please see the Volunteer Requested thread for details of the drawing.

The winner is........

tdsully! Congratulations, Tara!

I'll try to get them in the mail to you tomorrow.

Kay

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Kay - Good luck tomorrow! Are you having your surgery at Wilmer?

• kay6271
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, at the Green Spring Branch, so at least I don't have to worry about downtown rush hour. Still it's probably at least 2-1/2 hours from here. And follow-up appts day after each surgery. I'll be so tired of I-70 and the Beltway in a couple of weeks!

Thanks for the good wishes.

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

You are going to the BEST! It will be worth it. I had no idea you were that close to Baltimore - it won't feel that close when you do all that driving :) Please try not to worry.

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

I hope all goes well today, Kay!

Congrats, Tara!! I'm sorry the pp block wasn't any better. I hope you can straighten it out.

Robbi

• tdsully
    13 years ago

Here is a picture of the tablerunner I made with the blocks. I think everyone did a great job. I used insulated batting, the kind you can use in pot holders. So hot stuff can set on this. It is alittle long, but I have a long table.

• kay6271
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! What a great job, these blocks look wonderful set like that!

Kay

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

It's b-eautiful. You didn't have many blocks to work with but you certainly made the best use of them!

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Wow! It looks great! What a perfect thing to make with the blocks - Thanks for posting the pic.
    (Didn't you win the chicken Applique Lotto during the previous year?)

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

That's a great table runner. Wonderful use of your blocks. Your family will get to enjoy them with you now. Happy holidays.

• tdsully
    13 years ago

Yes I won the chicken applique lotto, I made reusable shopping bags with those and gave them for Christmas presents last year. They turned out very nice. I'll try and get a picture of those.

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

You are a very lucky applique lotto player! (Congrats)and even better that you make something wonderful with your winnings.
    The chickens were my first machine appliques, and was amazed at how much fun they were to make - very good use for them - I remember the discussion.

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

I can't believe you have that together already!! And it's beautiful!! I also can't believe you made sense of that PP block I did. I really fought with that pattern. I will remember about using the insulated batting, too. I bought some extra when I did my bottle holders and that will be a great use for them. I enjoyed doing that snowflake pattern, I'm thinking I will do more of them.

Robbi

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!