Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redpenny_gw

Re doing sewing room poll on color

redpenny
15 years ago

I have to redo this sewing room...I have run out of space and it looks like a hurricane hit it LOL....I can't find anything.......and I mean anything.........it is driving me crazy......Since my Mother is now in a Nursing home I think I am going to take that room and redo it to my sewing room...I have been cleaning it out.....DGS left today and he called me already........so I really couldn't do to much when he was here for the past 2 months.....and then with her in the hospital and running back and forth and placing her in a home..........

I was thinking of painting the room a very lite purple shade...what do you all think of a lilac or lite very lite purple sewing room......

My son in new york keeps saying he is coming back then he isn't so all I can say is he isn't getting the room...LOL

Red

Comments (21)

• vicky4x4
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Red,

My sewing room is a light shade of purple! I couldn't believe that was your choice. My sewing room is now being used as my sons room while his room is being redone ( we have mildew problems) and then we have to move into it while our room is redone than it will finally get to be MY room!

I chose this color because I made a heart wall hanging YEARS ago and I have never used it. When it becomes my sewing room for good I'm hanging that wall hanging over my sewing machine. I guess I'll have to sandwich that thing soon, my hubby is almost done with my sons room.

My vote is go ahead with the light purple.

Vicky

• calliope
    15 years ago

I am very influenced by my surroundings. My sewing room now is the traditional 'girls' bedroom of this house. Is light and airy but has this horrible paisley wallpaper. I put it on, what was I thinking? It clashes with the horrible blue carpet, what was my husband thinking? I know I'm going to strip the walls and paint and remove the carpeting in the naer future. I want something light, cheerful and energetic. I think I'm going with a creamy butter yellow, and I think I'll expose the plank floors. If they're too decrepit (200 year old house), I may paint them and throw a braided rug down. But, I'm with you gal.............workrooms usually look like bombs hit them. I do neaten it up occasionally, but when I am looking for material and supplies, I rip through it and don't put them back.

• redpenny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Vicky show pics,,,,,,,,,,calliope I had to laugh I do the same thing.....I like the butter yellow idea.....
    I bought some curtains from the thrift store they are very uunusal that I really liked they are pink and purple and a blue patchwork...so I wanted to pick something in that color range...I hung them in my Mother room right before she had to go to the hospital.....I also bought her a pretty blue and pineapple rug which I am going to keep in the room.....
    Red

• User
    15 years ago

Here's a Color Meaning essay I saved from a marketing site. It's long but interesting. I refer to it every once in awhile. Seems like orange or yellow would be good choices for an active and creative sewing room.

Color Meaning

Red
    Red is the color of fire and blood, so it is associated with energy, war, danger, strength, power, determination as well as passion, desire, and love.

Red is a very emotionally intense color. It enhances human metabolism, increases respiration rate, and raises blood pressure. It has very high visibility, which is why stop signs, stoplights, and fire equipment are usually painted red. In heraldry, red is used to indicate courage. It is a color found in many national flags.

Red brings text and images to the foreground. Use it as an accent color to stimulate people to make quick decisions; it is a perfect color for 'Buy Now' or 'Click Here' buttons on Internet banners and websites. In advertising, red is often used to evoke erotic feelings (red lips, red nails, red-light districts, 'Lady in Red', etc). Red is widely used to indicate danger (high voltage signs, traffic lights). This color is also commonly associated with energy, so you can use it when promoting energy drinks, games, cars, items related to sports and high physical activity.

Light red represents joy, sexuality, passion, sensitivity, and love.
    Pink signifies romance, love, and friendship. It denotes feminine qualities and passiveness.
    Dark red is associated with vigor, willpower, rage, anger, leadership, courage, longing, malice, and wrath.
    Brown suggests stability and denotes masculine qualities.
    Reddish-brown is associated with harvest and fall.

Orange
    Orange combines the energy of red and the happiness of yellow. It is associated with joy, sunshine, and the tropics. Orange represents enthusiasm, fascination, happiness, creativity, determination, attraction, success, encouragement, and stimulation.

To the human eye, orange is a very hot color, so it gives the sensation of heat. Nevertheless, orange is not as aggressive as red. Orange increases oxygen supply to the brain, produces an invigorating effect, and stimulates mental activity. It is highly accepted among young people. As a citrus color, orange is associated with healthy food and stimulates appetite. Orange is the color of fall and harvest. In heraldry, orange is symbolic of strength and endurance.

Orange has very high visibility, so you can use it to catch attention and highlight the most important elements of your design. Orange is very effective for promoting food products and toys.

Dark orange can mean deceit and distrust.
    Red-orange corresponds to desire, sexual passion, pleasure, domination, aggression, and thirst for action.
    Gold evokes the feeling of prestige. The meaning of gold is illumination, wisdom, and wealth. Gold often symbolizes high quality.

Yellow
    Yellow is the color of sunshine. It's associated with joy, happiness, intellect, and energy.

Yellow produces a warming effect, arouses cheerfulness, stimulates mental activity, and generates muscle energy. Yellow is often associated with food. Bright, pure yellow is an attention getter, which is the reason taxicabs are painted this color. When overused, yellow may have a disturbing effect; it is known that babies cry more in yellow rooms. Yellow is seen before other colors when placed against black; this combination is often used to issue a warning. In heraldry, yellow indicates honor and loyalty. Later the meaning of yellow was connected with cowardice.

Use yellow to evoke pleasant, cheerful feelings. You can choose yellow to promote children's products and items related to leisure. Yellow is very effective for attracting attention, so use it to highlight the most important elements of your design. Men usually perceive yellow as a very lighthearted, 'childish' color, so it is not recommended to use yellow when selling prestigious, expensive products to men nobody will buy a yellow business suit or a yellow Mercedes. Yellow is an unstable and spontaneous color, so avoid using yellow if you want to suggest stability and safety. Light yellow tends to disappear into white, so it usually needs a dark color to highlight it. Shades of yellow are visually unappealing because they loose cheerfulness and become dingy.

Dull (dingy) yellow represents caution, decay, sickness, and jealousy.
    Light yellow is associated with intellect, freshness, and joy.

Green
    Green is the color of nature. It symbolizes growth, harmony, freshness, and fertility. Green has strong emotional correspondence with safety. Dark green is also commonly associated with money.

Green has great healing power. It is the most restful color for the human eye; it can improve vision. Green suggests stability and endurance. Sometimes green denotes lack of experience; for example, a 'greenhorn' is a novice. In heraldry, green indicates growth and hope. Green, as opposed to red, means safety; it is the color of free passage in road traffic.

Use green to indicate safety when advertising drugs and medical products. Green is directly related to nature, so you can use it to promote 'green' products. Dull, darker green is commonly associated with money, the financial world, banking, and Wall Street.

Dark green is associated with ambition, greed, and jealousy.
    Yellow-green can indicate sickness, cowardice, discord, and jealousy.
    Aqua is associated with emotional healing and protection.
    Olive green is the traditional color of peace.

Blue
    Blue is the color of the sky and sea. It is often associated with depth and stability. It symbolizes trust, loyalty, wisdom, confidence, intelligence, faith, truth, and heaven.

Blue is considered beneficial to the mind and body. It slows human metabolism and produces a calming effect. Blue is strongly associated with tranquility and calmness. In heraldry, blue is used to symbolize piety and sincerity.

You can use blue to promote products and services related to cleanliness (water purification filters, cleaning liquids, vodka), air and sky (airlines, airports, air conditioners), water and sea (sea voyages, mineral water). As opposed to emotionally warm colors like red, orange, and yellow; blue is linked to consciousness and intellect. Use blue to suggest precision when promoting high-tech products.

Blue is a masculine color; according to studies, it is highly accepted among males. Dark blue is associated with depth, expertise, and stability; it is a preferred color for corporate America.

Avoid using blue when promoting food and cooking, because blue suppresses appetite. When used together with warm colors like yellow or red, blue can create high-impact, vibrant designs; for example, blue-yellow-red is a perfect color scheme for a superhero.

Light blue is associated with health, healing, tranquility, understanding, and softness.
    Dark blue represents knowledge, power, integrity, and seriousness.

Purple
    Purple combines the stability of blue and the energy of red. Purple is associated with royalty. It symbolizes power, nobility, luxury, and ambition. It conveys wealth and extravagance. Purple is associated with wisdom, dignity, independence, creativity, mystery, and magic.

According to surveys, almost 75 percent of pre-adolescent children prefer purple to all other colors. Purple is a very rare color in nature; some people consider it to be artificial.

Light purple is a good choice for a feminine design. You can use bright purple when promoting children's products.

Light purple evokes romantic and nostalgic feelings.
    Dark purple evokes gloom and sad feelings. It can cause frustration.

White
    White is associated with light, goodness, innocence, purity, and virginity. It is considered to be the color of perfection.

White means safety, purity, and cleanliness. As opposed to black, white usually has a positive connotation. White can represent a successful beginning. In heraldry, white depicts faith and purity.

In advertising, white is associated with coolness and cleanliness because it's the color of snow. You can use white to suggest simplicity in high-tech products. White is an appropriate color for charitable organizations; angels are usually imagined wearing white clothes. White is associated with hospitals, doctors, and sterility, so you can use white to suggest safety when promoting medical products. White is often associated with low weight, low-fat food, and dairy products.

Black
    Black is associated with power, elegance, formality, death, evil, and mystery.

Black is a mysterious color associated with fear and the unknown (black holes). It usually has a negative connotation (blacklist, black humor, 'black death'). Black denotes strength and authority; it is considered to be a very formal, elegant, and prestigious color (black tie, black Mercedes). In heraldry, black is the symbol of grief.

Black gives the feeling of perspective and depth, but a black background diminishes readability. A black suit or dress can make you look thinner. When designing for a gallery of art or photography, you can use a black or gray background to make the other colors stand out. Black contrasts well with bright colors. Combined with red or orange  other very powerful colors  black gives a very aggressive color scheme.

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Probably because I have some formal art training, I see my sewing room as a studio and I approached the lighting and color from that perspective. To me, the fabrics I'm working with provide MORE than enough color and I don't want anything in the room to distract me or to distort the colors, plus I want clear, bright light so I'm all for white or ivory. The house we are living in now is log construction downstairs and all natural poplar planking upstairs with pine ceilings, so my walls started out as a nearly cream colored wood, but are aging to a warm golden color. I like this very much--it's warm and inviting, but not distracting. The room is oriented to the northwest, with two skylights to provide good natural lighting all day long. I always try to pull fabrics during the day, so that I get the most accurate color matching.

Annie

• athomesewing
    15 years ago

Sounds lovely! ( :
    Choose whatever colors make YOU feel happy!

I LOVE color. It is one of the things that initially drew my to quilting -- all those gorgeous fabrics! I recently finished my sewing room, using a lot of color. Now, every time I go in there, it makes me feel happy!

Connie

• susan_on
    15 years ago

I feel the same way Annie does. I like my sewing room wall colour to be subtle, and then my project fabrics don't have to compete.

Susan

• biwako_of_abi
    15 years ago

You keep that room, Red!! I think lilac would be very nice on the walls; I love it. For myself, should I ever get my hands on a room for just my sewing, I would probably choose a buttery yellow. (I'm kind of into yellow and shades of purple right now!)

• redpenny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone........now how to decide to arange it!
    Also I am hoping I can get my frame made into queen size.LOL...I have had it crib size since the day I got it!

Red

• carolek
    15 years ago

Whatever color makes you feel like you want to feel when you work on your quilts is what it should be.

I'm like Annie, I like my walls to be shades of off white or cream. For me it is about the paintings and rugs in a room that supply the vibrant colors--all things that can be changed easily. I'm not talking about a sewing room as I don't have one, but as Annie and Susan said, the fabrics are full of vibrant colors by themselves.

• fatquarters
    15 years ago

ha ha dian"s post say light purple evokes romantic feelings. What do "YOU" do in your sewing room???

• redpenny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I went to the paint store and picked out my purple paint today I took one of my curtains with me LOL,,,it is a very light color with just a hint of purple!I also picked up a cute wallpaper border for area I want to do in the room........
    Red

• biwako_of_abi
    15 years ago

Be sure to show us pictures!

• nana24
    15 years ago

We will look forward to the pictures!

My walls are an egg shell white but that is throughout my whole house. I guess I'm kinda plain but like Carole said I let other things in the room supply the color. I guess I do like rather plain things. I will enjoy the bold in others homes.

Sally

• FlamingO in AR
    15 years ago

I think if it's YOUR room, you should paint it whatever color makes YOU happy!

I just recently redid my craft room. I was tired of the pale yellow walls and olive green/black/red thing I had going on up there and since lime green is my newest favorite color, I went a little crazy. I painted it lime green. I'm not positive that I really like it, though, and may repaint it soon a paler shade of lime green. One of these days I'll remember, go 2 shades lighter than the color on the chip that you think you want. I've repainted more rooms!

It is not quite as neon green as the flash on my camera makes it, but it is wild. Everyone who sees it in person likes it, but I'm still in the "I just don't what the heck I was thinking" phase. lol It's only paint though, so I won't worry about it. Only took 4 days and 2 coats. This only shows half the room.

Before (but I had already painted the hibiscus red fridge black)

{{gwi:2052042}}

{{gwi:2052043}}

{{gwi:2052044}}

{{gwi:2052046}}

I'm sorry if your eyes are bleeding now. ;)

• redpenny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I like it it bold and makes everything in the room standout!
    Red

• Vique_Pa
    15 years ago

I love your sewing room, flamingo! Mine is painted green right now but it isn't a really pretty green. Maybe that is because I painted it when my daughter left for the Air Force over 20 years ago. I am sure the color has changed since then, I would be ashamed for anyone to judge my taste on the current color. vique.

• easystitches
    15 years ago

I love your room! Plus it's so neat!
    The color talk is inspirational!
    I'm thinking of tackling my dining room this weekend.
    Time to grow up, believe it or not the room is full of Snoopy collectables.
    I'm kind of thinking green, but without kermit :)
    Jill

Red, your choices sound great, can't wait to see

• FlamingO in AR
    15 years ago

Thanks very much, ladies. I appreciate you not screaming! lol The bright color does make everything stand out nicely. And it was only that clean when I first put everything back in place and got some of those nice photo boxes to stash stuff in, love those, $4 at Hobby Lobby, and on sale for $2 quite often. It's back to its usual mess/works in progress now.

I love seeing photos of others' craft rooms. I like to steal ideas and find new projects.

• anitastitch
    15 years ago

I like that green--It's nice and lively looking. My someday sewing room (now DD's BR) is at this time is painted bright ocean blue (that's what the paint chip calls it) on 3 walls, and "sand" on the other wall, with forest green wood work. And it will most likely always have 1 twin bed in it, but no matter what color it is, it will work out better than sewing in my dining room. Having a sewing room will be the one thing that will make my empty nest feel less empty.

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

All this talk about re-vamping sewing rooms has me inspired. My husband and son are going to be gone for ten days in the middle of the month and I'm definitely going to tackle a re-do while they are gone. I've been trying to work out a way to make just a bit more room around my big quilting table and I think I've got it figured out and it won't really involve major remodeling or anything, just some judicious relocation of things.

There's something about late summer/early autumn that triggers this kind of project--it's our nesting instincts kicking in and telling us to get ready for all the winter sewing, I think!

Annie