Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toolgranny

Classroom UFO completed (pic)

toolgranny
14 years ago

This is the product of Annie Smith's class on Value. All nine blocks are same pattern only you stack up the fabric and cut pieces and shuffle to place different values in different places on each. It makes a nice study, doesn't it. Who'd have thought that block could look so different just by moving the values around. Not my best work but good to practice on.

Comments (20)

• lynndianne
    14 years ago

That is absolutely wonderful.... Lynn

• maggie_sue
    14 years ago

Ooohhhhh, that is beautiful!!! Love the colors!!!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    14 years ago

Linda, That's a good way to emphasize the value of knowing the value of our fabric choices. Love your fabric!

SharonG/FL

• nanajayne
    14 years ago

Love different challenges. How many fabrics did you start with? It looks like a fun thing to do and you did it so well. Would be interested in learning more of the technique. TFS. Jayne

• itsmesuzq
    14 years ago

What a beautiful piece. At first I thought "Those blocks aren't the same". Then I really started looking at it and I'm amazed that they are (just like you said) all the same. How interesting indeed!! I love the colors and I'm thinking there may be only 4 colors, plus white...right?

I love this quilt. And I'm sure you learned so much from making it.

Susan

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

There were ten different fabrics and you were allowed to throw out one set of leftovers. If you look, all the center squares is a different fabric. So, you basically set up nine different sets. I think I had more white pieces left when done. Colors varied in value from light to very dark, no two alike by value. (picture doesn't show detail well)

It was an interesting class. She started with about 50 fabrics of all colors and you had to sort them into order by value, not color. It sure makes you more aware.

• polardream
    14 years ago

Linda - that is an awesome quilt! I like the accent blocks in your border also. Wish my LQS offered a class like that.
    Sue/polardream

• imrainey
    14 years ago

I think it's lovely!

I bet it was also a learning experience. Who would have known you could have 10 different values! I know I've never thought much beyond light/medium/dark. But this gives me a peek at why those older quilts that have such low contrast could be so interesting.

Was it hard to work with such a broad gradient of values? You certainly did it well!

• love2sew
    14 years ago

What a beautiful quilt. A great class and I bet you had lots of fun working with different values. This would be a great guild project. TFS
    Jean

• biwako_of_abi
    14 years ago

It is not only very interesting, it is very pretty!

• imrainey
    14 years ago

Is it possible to share that block? Or does it have a name so we might find it on Quiltville or Quilters Cache?

I'd like to try that experiment too. Was using solids one of the parameters of the challenge or did some people do it with prints? Using all solids has given it an interesting dimension somewhere between the striking but sober Amish style and a really energized modern style.

• User
    14 years ago

What an interesting process! Like Susan, I had to study the blocks to see that they were all the same pattern. My first thought was that they were different from each other.

Is there a link to a tutorial or a book the instructor worked from?

Thanks for sharing this lovely quilt.

Dianne

• damascusannie
    14 years ago

Oh boy, now you've got me thinking hard about a "Traditional Values" quilt--got the title, now I just need to figure out which fabrics to use!

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Lucious fabrics! And a great exercise, too. Your quilt turned out to be beautiful. Were the rest of the people in the class so successful or were some of the quilts not-so-wonderful?

Kate

• imrainey
    14 years ago

Was selecting 8 different values (B&W must have been pretty slam dunk) difficult? How did you identify that a value was stronger or weaker without getting distracted by color? Did you use something like a Ruby Beholder?

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is the block she uses. She gave us six paper copies. She listed which value went in each place, different with each page. You cut fabric in pieces and paste on with a glue stick onto the paper. Try it on paper that way till you get an arrangement you like. It's fun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Squares and Stars block

• itsmesuzq
    14 years ago

Wow! I love quilting and I love that there's always something to learn. I paint using watercolor so I know what value means, but I've been so busy with the basics of learning to quilt I haven't even thought about "values" yet. I've put fabrics together that inspire and please me, but I would like to learn more about the many values of the same colors and how they can change everything when you them together in a quilt.

Another "too do" for my list. ~LOL~

Thanks so much for sharing and responding to the posts.

Susan

• bozogardener
    14 years ago

This is a really pretty quilt! I like the shifting colors-it almost looks transparent in places.

• fran1523
    14 years ago

What a fascinating project and a gorgeous quilt.

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

That's GR8,love the color choices.
    Kathi