Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fabric shrinkage-reversible?

Posted by msmeow (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 12 at 18:26

Okay, my friends...is it possible to un-shrink fabric? (I'm pretty sure I know the answer!)

While making a modification to my quilting frame last weekend, my DH managed to poke his finger and bled on my leaders. I threw them in the wash along with the shorts he bled on, and of course they shrank.

They are made of pillow ticking and have the fuzzy side of Velcro along one edge and heavy duty plastic zippers inserted. Now the Velcro and zippers are buckling due to the shrinkage.

I tried ironing one of them, but it didn't seem to help much. Do y'all think steam pressing would help?

Donna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fabric shrinkage-reversible?

Well, I've never heard of un shrinking... Steam pressing I think is your best bet. Hope DH is healing! Good luck
V.

o

Nope, you can't "unshrink" fabric. You can maybe stretch it out a little bit with steam ironing, but I doubt it.

This is no help now, but I wouldn't have washed the leaders at all, though I might have dabbed at the blood stains with hydrogen peroxide. It's not like the blood was going to transfer to a quilt.

Yes, my leaders have some blood drops on them - quite a few, as I'm pretty clumsy. I don't worry about them.

o

I think it's worth a try to get it wet - really wet - and try to stretch it back to shape. I don't think a steam iron alone is going to do it and the heat would cause it to tighten up again anyway. Cool water, stretch, block and let dry.

o

Peroxide is a miracle blood desolv-it ~ yes too late.
I am guessing the pillow ticking shrunk alot and got terribly out of shape. I would not recommend re-using it. It is very important the leaders be close to perfectly square and straight as possible, or the quilt backing will get loaded skewed. I recommend making a new one. They also need to line up. You will love the dead bar if that's the modification you are making. It takes tweaking to get it right, but once you do - heaven! :)

o

Thanks, everyone. Marsha, I was planning to make a new set...these are really out of shape.

Helen, he's fine. He doesn't even know what he poked his finger with! It was just one of those things that bled a lot.

Whatever fabric I use I will either pre shrink it or plan to never, ever wash them! I'll remember the peroxide. :)

Donna

o

I sympathize with the "bleed a lot" syndrome - DH bleeds if you just look cross-eyed at him, LOL.

I'm glad you're going to make new leaders. It's far better than spending valuable time and energy to try to make the damaged ones work again. They will never be satisfactory again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here