Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20014168

September 2010 Block Lotto

User
13 years ago

Here's how the monthly lotto works...

By the first of each month, the block lotto is posted on the forum.

You may enter from 1 to 3 blocks. For each block you send, your name will be entered once.

Please put your blocks, along with a slip of paper with your real name, address, and FORUM name, inside a plastic baggie. (A return address label inside or on the outside of baggie works well too.)

Please include one dollar to cover postage for sending on to the winner.

We ask that everyone only send their best efforts! We are not looking for perfection, but please take your time, have fun, and send only the quality that you would like to receive.

Please note the following guidelines:

Use 100% QUILTING cotton and please - no fur, smoke or fragrances.

Selvage edges should be trimmed off before cutting for blocks and all seams should be 1/4 inch.

Your finished block should be squared up to be no less than 1/4 inch smaller nor 1/4 inch larger than the stated (unfinished) size for the month.

Blocks need to reach the lotto coordinator no later than the last day of the month. The coordinator's address is:

Kay Barkdoll

12026 Punch Bowl Rd

Mercersburg, PA 17236

The winner will be drawn on the first day of the following month and posted on the forum.

The winner is to choose a block and/or colors for a future lotto that will be added to the list.

Our block this month is The Queen's X, chosen by lafonda_ranch.

Lafonda_ranch requests that it be done in yellows for colors 1 and 2 and white for color 3. Yellows sound so refreshing after this hot, hot summer!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Queen's X

Comments (30)

• woodenzoo
    13 years ago

I'm in for at least two.
    I really like this block. And Lafonda's choice of yellow and white has inspired me to do a yellow and white lap quilt.
    It's definitely out of my normal color range, but will be nice and bright to work on during the dreary days of winter.
    Cathy

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Welcome back, Cathy! Good to see you!

• polardream
    13 years ago

I will do at least 2 (maybe 3 depending on my yellow stash)

Sue/polardream

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

I was actually going to skip this month because I'm buried! But I can't pass up this block! Love it:) Sign me up for one, but will likely be 3 (I tend to work lotto blocks in 3's!)

~Cindy

• polardream
    13 years ago

Okay, change me to 3 ... my stash had more yellow than I thought. EASY block to do - finished them tonight & will mail tomorrow.

Sue/polardream

• mary_c_gw
    13 years ago

I'm in for two!

Mary

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Time for an update!

woodenzoo: at least 2
    quiltpartner: 3
    polardream: 3, arrived on Saturday & they look wonderful!
    mary c: 2

I'll be doing at least one, hope to have time to do more!

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

I'm glad everyone is enjoying this block. I have a such a hard time choosing things, it was a really hard choice. I almost have 2 blocks put together, so sign me up for 2.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's our latest tally:

woodenzoo: 2, arrived on Thursday, lovely!
    quiltpartner: 3
    polardream: 3, arrived on Saturday & they look wonderful!
    mary c: 2
    lafonda_ranch: 2
    kay_in_pa: 2, done

That's going to be 14 blocks for some lucky winner!

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

You may have a couple more blocks to add to the list! I found several nice yellows when cleaning up my sewing room yesterday so now I'm inspired to give this one a try. If I can get a couple done today they would easily get to you by the end of the month.

Kate

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

I finished 2 blocks last night and put them in the mail today. Please let me know when they arrive.

Kate

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'll do that.

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

I finished the 3rd block & will get them in the mail tomorrow. I really do like this block - & I'm sure to use it again:) Thanks Lafonda_ranch for selecting it:)

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mary, your pretty blocks arrived today.

We live in a rather rural area, so mail often takes a day or more extra to reach here than in nearby cities.

So, Kate, I expect yours will probably arrive tomorrow.

• calliope
    13 years ago

Kay, I didn't want to commit myself on this block, since I haven't had time to hit the sewing room, but I finished one this morning and I'll post it this afternoon when I go in to town. It still has a week to get there.

Love that this one is done in yellows. Refreshing change. Like the block too, but know what my strengths and weaknesses are and lots of small squares and triangles aren't my strength, so it took me an extraordinarily long time to get this one done and accurately sized. I redid more seams in one block than I have done in a whole quilt. LOL. This would make a wonderful center pattern surrounded by vivid black and yellow sunflower tiles and I have just the fabric to do it. rofl. So, keeping my fingers crossed.

Count me in for one.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kate, your blocks arrived today!

I don't know what the postal delay is. My son lives an hour and a half away, and the birthday card he sent me took 4 days to get here!!!

So, just a heads up everyone who's sending in blocks close to the month end deadline!

Kay

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kate, your blocks arrived today!

I don't know what the postal delay is. My son lives an hour and a half away, and the birthday card he sent me took 4 days to get here!!!

So, just a heads up everyone who's sending in blocks close to the month end deadline!

Kay

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Calliope and Quiltpartner, your blocks arrived today!

So here's where we stand:
    woodenzoo: 2, arrived
    quiltpartner: 3 arrived
    polardream: 3, arrived
    mary c: 2, arrived
    lafonda_ranch: 2
    kay_in_pa: 2, done & here
    Calliope: 1, arrived

13 blocks received & 2 to come!

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

I'm sorry I'm holding up everything! I don't know where this month went. I can't believe October is on Friday! I have finished the blocks and they will be in the mail tomorrow. I sure hope they get there in time.

Robbi

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

You forgot my name on the list so that will be 17 for the lucky winner. I think this is going to be a pretty quilt and very cheerful!

Kate

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

Mine went in the mail yesterday. I sure hope there are no delays in the snail mail!!

Robbi

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Robbi, they haven't arrived yet, but the drawing isn't until tomorrow, so they should arrive in tomorrow's mail.

I have appointments during the day, so will be drawing the lucky winner's name after I get home!

There are a couple of generous quilters who have contributed, but declined to be entered in the drawing, so everyone else... the tension builds as your chances go up!

Back again tomorrow!

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

I really apologize again for getting those in the mail so late! The really sad part is, I had most of the blocks done at the fist of the month. I only had to assemble them!

Thanks,
    Robbi

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Robbi, I know exactly where you're coming from! I had the bulk of the year done way ahead, then would let the month slip almost by & not get them mailed!! :( I presently have 4 envies on the counter waiting to hit the PO - but w/kids (& sick ones some days) I can't seem to get there before they close! My goal is today as soon as the last one leaves, hopefully by 3:30. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

~Cindy

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, time for the big drawing. I have 17 blocks received and ready to go to a new home.

Because of some folks who have declined to have their name drawn, there are actually just 13 in the hat.

So, who's on line? I'll need one person to pick the number and one person to identify the name associated with that number (let me know you're here and I'll email a list key to you).

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The winner is:::::::::::::::::

I had my hubby pick the number out of the list, and he picked his old race car number....

So, the blocks go to................
    !!!!!!!! QUILTPARTNER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!

• polardream
    13 years ago

Congrats! That will make one beautiful quilt!
    Sue/polardream

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

This is way cool! The quilt will no doubt be a favorite w/all those lovely yellows & bright whites. Such a happy sunny quilt! And a pefect project for the dreary winter days ahead. (It's already feeling a little nippy out there!)
    Thanks Kay's DH! Your race car number worked lucky for me, too!! And thanks to all who participated!

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

Congratulations. I'm sure it will make a wonderful quilt.

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

Congrats!!! I'm glad I was able to pick a pattern and colors that everyone enjoyed :-) (That is one thing that I seem to have a lot of problems with.) I'd love to see this all put together, so send up some pictures.

Robbi