Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Tropical Twist? (Bonnie Hunter)

K8Orlando
12 years ago

Have any of you made this Bonnie Hunter quilt called Tropical Twist? I just saw a picture today and fell in love with it. I think I'm abandoning my Log Cabin plan in favor of this one made with my light and dark Bali Pops. I don't like the border on this one because it makes it too 'busy' for me, but I really like the twisted blocks, strip pieced to form stars. It is pretty cool that the pinwheels in the border are the bonus blocks you get "free" when making the twisted blocks!

Kate

{{!gwi}}

Comments (19)

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

I like it, very pretty. Go for it. I think the boarder would be less busy if the pinwheels were only used around a couple of corners maybe. Nice that they are "freebies". Maybe they could be incorperated into pillow cases. TFS

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Corner accents and pillow cases! Great idea! Thanks!

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Yes, that would be lovely. I agree with Jayne. Should look great.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

OK....from what I can find, this is a variation of Bonnie's Star Struck and she has given permission for this gal to post her measurements.

I agree that the border is really busy.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Starry Twist/ Tropical Twist/ Star Struck variation pattern

• grammyp
    12 years ago

OK guys, I have enough to do. Please quit adding patterns to my list of things I must make. I gotta live to be 300 as it is.

beverly

• murphy_zone7
    12 years ago

I like it too. But the border kinda distracts from the beauty of the top. A plain border would be better, IMHO. Looks too complicated for me. I like them simple.
    Maybe use those freebie stars in a bed skirt?
    Murphy

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tropical Twist was in the Jan/Feb '09 Quiltmaker magazine along with a Bonnie interview. Its on the cover but it doesn't have the distinct star Pattern this one has. Its much scrappier on the cover picture.

• bonica
    12 years ago

I love it with that border. It makes the large pattern seem higher than the border(loftier). Since you'll get the pieces anyway you could lay them out around 4 of the center blocks and just look at it for a few days and then decide. MHO!
    Bon
    :)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I'm wondering if using a very dark color for the square to sew on the light strips would enhance the light star? Just seems like the dark star is what shows up best.....or maybe it's just my eyes and how I'm seeing it.

(sorry Beverly, but isn't it fun?) lol

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    12 years ago

I like the border, too...maybe it would be less busy if you put the pinwheels in a straight line then added another solid border. Or you could use some as accents and piece the rest into the backing.

I've made 3 Bonnie H quilts (well, 2 and most of a third LOL) and find her instructions clear, she uses lots of pictures and gives great tips on matching pieces and stuff like that.

Donna

• scdeb
    12 years ago

Hey, ladies....I am Debbie at Stitchintherapy.blogspot.com and I noticed a lot of hits from here today. Here's the link to the photo of my variation to star twist. I only added some of the pinwheel blocks mixed with plain blocks to the top and bottom border for length. I was being lazy and got tired of making pinwheels! Btw, this quilt was donated to ALS and was selected for their national quilt tour.

Here is a link that might be useful: star twist photo

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Hi Debbie, Thanks for stopping in and telling us about the quilt you made. I'm always looking for easier and quicker and I think you've made a hit!

Hope there will soon be some great strides in a cure for ALS!

SharonG/FL

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

I like the border too!!!!
    Debbie your quilt is gorgeous I can see why it was selected for the tour, thank you for sharing the pic.
    Rosa

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Debbie, thanks for sharing the picture of your quilt! I love the scrappiness of it!

Kate

• scdeb
    12 years ago

Y'all are welcome. Just hope to inspire all I can. I am a big Bonnie Hunter fan and follow her blog. Right now I am working on the Florabunda blocks based on an older quilt she found while in Orlando. Her patterns are great and so easy to use and adapt. Glad you enjoyed the pix.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Kate, I just finished putting the border on this. I'm hoping it will help when you begin your quilt on what not to do. I added the 'rows' at the top and bottom to make it longer rather than square. It ended up being approx 56" X 72" and I had to add about an inch on each side of the rows to even it up.

SharonG/FL

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

The inch doesn't even show up. I think it looks just great. love your colors.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sharon - it's beautiful! Thanks for posting it! It makes a great nap size quilt.

Kate

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Sharon, I like the way it turned out. I think it makes it more interesting the being sq.. Your choices of blocks fit very nicely. Bring the hourglass block to the bottom was very effective.