Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendywillow_gw

Newbie question: Can you identify this quilt block?

WendyWillow
11 years ago

Hello: I have been lurking for a while but this is my first time posting. I am trying to identify a quilt block. I have tried some of those sites that show pictures and lists of names of blocks, but no luck. I know that a lot of blocks have multiple names depending on the area of the country you are in.

Take a look and let me know if you have an idea ! It's a really simple block that is a square with borders and fourpatches in the corners.

Now I'll try to upload a photo !

Thanks for any assistance,

Wendy

Comments (18)

• lola99
    11 years ago

Welcome Wendy! I looked through the pictures in quilterscache.com and the closest pattern that I found is the Antique Tile. Not exactly the same, but pretty close...

Maybe someone else will recognize the pattern.

Good luck.

Lola

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Tile

• WendyWillow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Lola ! Well, I just found another quilt image (see below) using the same block but the block wasn't identified here, either. Still searching for the name of this block.

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

OK, I'm curious - why do you need the name?

It's a simple to graph out block, and it looks fairly modern. It may not have an old history, and therefore, no name to discover.

• bee0hio
    11 years ago

Billie Lauder has a technique for making this block (it actually makes 2 blocks at a time) and she calls the quilt.... "Battlefield". I don't know whether, or not, that is also the name of the block. The actual design of the block probably isn't hers, but likely is an old one?

Here's a link to Billie's book on making a Battlefield quilt.... scroll down the page a bit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Battlefield Quilt by Billie Lauder

• WendyWillow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mary -- I can understand why you might ask why I need the name!

I am looking for a "name" so I can scour the Internet and --hopefully -- find instruction on making the block !

So often there are talented people out there who have already figured out all the cutting steps, measurements, various sizes and the easiest way to put blocks together. I have only been quilting for a year or so, so I can use all the help I can get !
    Cheers --
    Wendy

PS Thanks BeeOhio -- I am going to take a look at your links !

• bee0hio
    11 years ago

My guild had a workshop making this quilt a couple of years ago. I did a quick look to see if I could find a photo to post. No luck... might be on a different computer.

The technique wasn't difficult, but did require close attention & concentration so that you cut correctly. Ask me why I had 4 extra blocks that were a bit different than planned. LOL! (I used them for part of the backing.)

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Wendy, let us know what size you want the block to be and we'll tell you what size to cut the pieces.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

It looks to be a variation of Hole in the Barn Door. The variation being a 4-patch in the corners instead of a HST.

SharonG/FL-IN

Here is a link that might be useful: Hole in the Barn Door

• WendyWillow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

K-8-orlando: Thanks for offering to help! I would like to make a pretty large block, say 12 inches.

Still looking for the name of the original block, if anyone else wants to weigh in.

Sharon -- thanks for the Hole in the Barn Door info. Looks like it's getting close in style/shape to the block i'm looking for.

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Wendy, if you post a link to the pictures of the quilts, it is possible we can help you get some directions or ID the name. Where did you get/find the pictures?
    Pretty quilts.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

12" block:
    - Cut a bunch of square 6.5"x6.5". Those are your centers.
    - Cut a bunch of strips 2" wide by as long as you want. Sew contrasting colors of the strips together, press and cut some of them 6.5" long to make rectangles 6.5"x3.5". Those are your sides.
    - Cut other sections of the strips you've sewn together at 2". Sew two of the 2"x3.5" pieces together to make 3.5"x3.5" four-patches. Those are your corners.
    - Sew two sides to opposite sides of the center block.
    - Sew four-patch corners to either end of two more side pieces and then sew those to the other sides of the center.
    - Done!

How many of each thing you'll need depends on how scrappy you want to make it and how large it will be. If you put plain blocks in between, like in the first picture, you won't need many. Two contrasting fat quarters should give you enough of two colors to do two complete blocks (maybe 3) with some left over for border work, so if you want to make it scrappy I would purchase one FQ for every block, then mix and match the prints using two different ones for each block.

Does any of that make sense?

If anyone has easier directions or if I miscalculated, please post!

Kate

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Good job, Kate. Sounds perfect to me.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Wow! Asked the right person. There it is again, more stimulation for yet another quilt. This forum rocks!

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

It's because of this forum that I have a ToDo quilting list longer than my arm! I'm just trying to be as much of an enabler as you all have been to me. :~))

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Wendy, this is a Sandy Klop pattern called Sun and Sea. It is available thru her website linked below. I took a workshop from her. She is a delightful person, Moda fabric designer and a pattern designer. You should order her pattern for all the directions, yardages and fabric recommendations.
    Scroll way down the page (#50) to see the pattern for the exact blue and yellow quilt you posted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sandy Klop /Americain Jane Patterns

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

I'm with Magothyrivergirl - order the pattern.

Kate was also wonderful to tell you how to make it.

But honestly, this is a simple pattern. If you're too cheap to order it, just get some graph paper and colored pencils and just draft it yourself. It's not rocket science!

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

For me, part of the fun of quilting is figuring out the pattern. Every time I look at a quilt, once I get past the "Oh look at the pretty colors" reaction, I think about how I would construct it. The geometry and the math make sense to me so it's usually pretty easy to work out the pattern.

In my earlier days of quilting I thought buying a pattern was kind of like cheating and I would NEVER have considered purchasing a kit. But as I've gained experience I've also come to realize that the people who originate patterns deserve to be compensated for their design skills.

• WendyWillow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All of you are wonderful -- thank you for all the help and advice. I am very impressed with the friendly people in the community.

BIG THANKS to magomyrivergirl for identifying the blue and white quilt pattern as from Sandy Klop of American Jane.

ANOTHER BIG THANKS AND HUGS to Kate for taking the time to puzzle out the block and write out some instructions.

SO --HERE'S MY PLAN
    I'm going to make a trial block using Kate's instructions -- I think I will learn a lot from this.

AND ALSO:
    EXPERIMENT: I am going to order the pattern from Sandy Klop. She is so talented -- I have seen her at her booth at quilt shows but haven't been brave enough to speak to her yet. You guys are right -- the people who design patterns and put it all together with the fabric ideas etc. do deserve to get credit for their work. I am truly a do-it-yourselfer but I also respect the pattern designers who give us so many wonderful ideas.

Great community, great comments, great quilting folks here!

Wendy