Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grammyp_gw

Retreat Tree update

grammyp
12 years ago

I cut out some leaves of various sizes and just pinned them on the quilt. The brown on the left is 6 inches, the red in the middle is 3.5 inches, and the green on the right is 4 inches. I am afraid the 6 inch one will just be too big and overwhelming. I'm leaning more toward the 3.5 inch one myself. Of course, leaves are not all the same size, so some variation would be good. I may really need to get the trunk blown up and placed on before deciding.

Of course, we do have the option of putting the pine tree in, like in the picture.

beverly

Comments (12)

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Wow! Looks great! I vote Pine Tree that looks like the picture, if you are willing to make it. (I stated why in the other thread.) Then you could scatter leaves everywhere, like blowing in the wind. They could be different colors, types and sizes within scale. Easy to add in future years.

I think the tree would have more significance to other visitors, if it resembled the actual landscape / view out the window.

• grammyp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm kinda leaning toward pine tree, too. Gonna have to think about this one.

beverly

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Looks great. I don't have strong feelings either way, just tell me what, when and where and I'll do whatever you say. I'd salute, Bev, but you wouldn't see it anyway.

• polardream
    12 years ago

Ditto what Linda said!
    Sue

• sunnycentralfl
    12 years ago

You Gals are terrific...so creative.

Thanks for including us "Alumni" in this wonderful quilt!

I was pretty bummed out that I couldn't attend this year, but I know how blessed I am to have two "good" things to choose from...quilt retreat and and nephew's graduation from FL Fire Fighting College.

Gwen

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

Marsha makes a good point about others being able to appreciate the theme of the quilt, especially if we get them to hang it in Sloan Center where you can actually see the tree!

There are always plenty of leaves on the ground, so I vote for the pine tree, 3 1/2" leaves of whatever deciduous tree of your choosing, placed on the ground.

Great job, Bev!!!

• grammyp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I cut out a paper tree and pinned it on the wall hanging just to see how it would look. The final tree will have a few more branches and be a bit larger. It has the same 3 leaves on it. I will come to camp prepared for either pine or oak tree and we can decide there which to do.

beverly

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

Pine tree? Oh, well, I'll catch on eventually. LOL
    I like the idea of the leaves. I'll check to see what everyone decides.
    Jeanne

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

Beverly,

Can you let us know what we should bring for our leaves? Size/color suggestions? Should they have fusible on them?

thx

• grammyp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The leaves will look best about 3 1/2 inches. I think for this year we will use shades of red. I will have fabrics and pigma pens available if anyone forgets.

beverly

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Beverly - you want us to bring a leaf 3 1/2" in redish leafy fabric?

• grammyp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, we will each be adding an oak leaf, about 3 1/2 inches in a reddish color. The fabric does not have to leafy, just a reddish cololor. Next year we will use a different color. I will have patterns at camp if you want to wait and make it there. It isn't a big thing, and we will have to finish the wall hanging before we add the leaves.

beverly