Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
quilting holes ?

Posted by littlehelen (littlehelen@comcast.net) on
Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 17:26

I quilted a small project and after one section was complete...I hated it...so I ripped out the quilting. Now I'm left w/ itsy bitsy needle holes in the fabric. (My error, in I didn't check my stitch size...dumb I know) Anyway, I pressed the fabric, but it's still apparent the area was quilted. Not sure if I should just proceed with quilting the area, or just what to do. I'm concerned when I quilt the area again the marks will still show...Suggestions...thoughts?
V.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: quilting holes ?

My experience is that those holes will disappear when the quilt is washed.

If you don't intend to wash it, then rubbing a fingernail across the hole may convince it to go away.

hth

o

Yes, what Jennifer said. :-)

SharonG/FL

o

Mist it very slightly with water, and rub with a soft brush - clean toothbrush.
This will close up the weave where the needle and thread went thru. If the stitches were too close (too small) it may take a few gentle times.
You said you pressed the fabric-did you press it as a sandwich with the batting in the middle? Misting will help soften and relax the weave/fibers. Be gentle so not to distort the piece.
Don't press the holes open into place.

o

I use a lot of safety pins when hand-quilting the layers together which leaves noticeable holes, so I usually use my fingernail to rub them out and then after I complete the quilt I wash it before giving it away and after that the holes are gone.

Best to you,
Sandra

o

thank you all for the ideas...I did mist the fabric (it was sandwiched) and then pressed, but did not think of the gentle brushing...good idea, will give it a try.
I did not intend to wash this piece; however, I think that may take care of the issue.
V.

o

you should a lot of safety pins when hand-quilting the layers together which leaves noticeable holes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here