Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
QOTD 8-30 Mug Rugs

Posted by rosajoe (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 29, 11 at 17:05

Sorry to post this so early but tomorrow is a busy day for me.
I have seen the mug rug craze every where. Do you make them and would you actually use them???
I set my cup and iced drinks on a paper towel so I can throw it away. Wouldn't these have to be washed a LOT and coffee stains are hard to get out. I think they are cute but I don't know if I would actually use it.
Rosa

Here is a link that might be useful: MugRugs

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: QOTD 8-30 Mug Rugs

I had something like these that was given to me (way back when), and I found that they just soak up the sweat like a sponge and wet the table in no time... I never used them again after that.

o

I can't imagine putting that kind of effort into a coaster. I have been given some, but I never use them. Coffee drips, tea drips, iced drinks sweat, and the table gets wet anyway.

Cute? Eh, maybe. I prefer functional.

o

No..........one more thing in a drawer, but I'd certainly use something similar if it were placemat size.

o

I think they're really cute but not sure if I would use it. I've been using the quilt DD2 made for a mug rug...it ended up potholder size, but she finished it and I keep it handy by the sewing machine. @:)

SharonG/FL

o

I don't have any but think the idea is clever. I might use them for a drop in guest but probably not practical for everyday use. I have ceramic tiles that I used under drinks that I have had for ever.

o

Not my thing at all. I prefer function over form in this case.

o

Another vote for no. I put my cup on a soapstone coaster. When I give the grands a snack, I use a coffee filter.

They are cute, though. Reminds me of a time I went through a Christmas ornament phase. Each time I finished a gift quilt, I'd make some kind of ornament out of the fabrics.

o

Several years ago, I took a class to learn paper piecing and we made mug rugs/mug mats in a log cabin pattern. It was a good way to learn the techniques of paper piecing. I use one of the rugs next to my computer and gave a few away. As with most of the other things I learn to make, it gets moved down on my list of to-dos, below those new things I want to make/learn.
I have a couple of sets of criss cross coasters I use for drinks. A lot less work than the piecing of those mug rugs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here