Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calverttx

Applique

calverttx
11 years ago

I made a wall hanging that is ready to be quilted, almost.... I used Wonder Under and in about 4 spots there is a feather (Christmas Rooster)that is not attached. What is the best and easiest way to correct this. I would never wash this so that is not a problem.

As always, thank you for your help. Nancy

Comments (23)

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Sounds like an interesting project!

Can you just hand stitch it on, using kind of a satin stitch around the shaft of the feather? Maybe add some beads if you need to cover up part of the bottom?

Or maybe you could use a large eye needle and narrow ribbon; that would be pretty and would make the base of the feather 3 dimensional. You could use regular thread along the rest of the shaft of the feather to secure it better.

Any chance you can post a picture?

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

I am confused what the issue is. Are the feathers supposed to be adhered w/ the Wonder Under and they didn't completely adhere? If so, using a pressing cloth I would repress - not iron - the applique using the tip of the iron to the area/spots that didn't fuse. Set it the recommended time. Let it cool completely before you move the block / wall hanging. Then proceed with your method of applique.
    Picture would be great.

• calverttx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will attemp a picture in the morning.

• calverttx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hope this works. Nancy

• calverttx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will try again. Last time did not work.

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

He is a very pretty roaster! It appears that the feathers are to be appliqued down and if that is the case I would do as Marsha suggested or if that didn't work I would us a little glue and then machine applique around each feather etc. using your favorite stitch. This would be a good place for invisable thread so the colors would stay true but I can also see it down with matching colors. MHO

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Gorgeous Rooster Nancy!!! If I had seen the fabrics first I would have said no way lol!!!

I would love to have a wall hanging like that, hope you're keeping it, or is it a gift?
    Rosa

• calverttx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What a great idea to use invisible thread, Matching thread may take more patience than I have. Thank you so much for your great ideas. Nancy

• calverttx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rosa, I am keeping it unless my sister-in-law steals it. She will be here in October and I may lose it. I thought I would make her one and may yet. I have to finish this first. I am just beginning to learn FMQ. We shall see what develops.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Oh he's wonderful! I totally misunderstood your original post and thought you had real feathers that weren't sticking to the wall hanging. Sorry for the confusion; my recommendations don't make any sense for fabric!

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Yep - I would do what I said in my first post to try to fuse the loose spots. You might try cutting teeney pieces of the Wonder Under, and slide them under the edges if it is an edge that isn't fusing. Since you will not be washing it, or handling it very much, after you stitch all the raw edges it should be fine.
    That Rooster is adorable ~ and I would have to steal it if I was your SIL!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

I would steal it, too! Love your rooster! I would never have thought to put those fabrics together, but they sure look good!

SharonG/FL-IN

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Cheery fellow. Be sure to post the one for you SIL too!

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

Very cute!! I wouldn't blame your sister-in-law for stealing it :-)

Robbi

• calverttx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your nice remarks and encourgement. Whatever I need you wonderful ladies come though with great ideas. God bless all of you. Nancy

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Omg... Love your Rooster!!!! I have a rooster thing in my kitchen / great room... I may need to have him join my collection!
    Very nice,
    V.

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

That's a very pretty rooster!! :-) TFS.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• calverttx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If you search Quiltbug and then Radical Rooster you will find 12 quilting patterns. This one is Rubert. I think it cost $8.50. The pattern comes with two patterns, an easy and more difficult. This one is the difficult.I hope this helps anyone who wants to make one. Nancy

• new2quilting
    11 years ago

So will you be quilting and appliqueing at the same time since you've already basted? On this one or the next you might want to try the McKenna Ryan raw edge technique of doing FMQ with invisible thread. Then you are appliqueing and quilting at the same time. I did a small wallhanging with lots of little fused pieces this way and it was a lot of fun. With invisible thread if it's not perfect is doesn't matter and with a wallhanging you're not worried about lots of washing or wear and tear.

• calverttx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

new2quilting when you used the invisible thread did you sew every little piece or did you just outline the center piece? The plan (at this point) is to just zig-zag the outside of the rooster, use painters tape to put diamonds on the remainder of the background. I have no idea what I will do with the border. I have a black spangle and a fake diamond to glue on which will be his eye.
    All ideas are appreciated. I have never attempted anything this intricate before. Nancy

• new2quilting
    11 years ago

The one I did was Christmas cookies, so a lot of small shapes and I used a straight stitch to catch all the edges of the applique down and then moved from piece to piece and quilted as I went then added beads. It was a small piece and went pretty fast, and as I said the clear thread is very forgiving. A zigzag would have held it all down better, but for all the small pieces in this one it would have driven me crazy.

You could carry the diamonds into the border as well if you get stumped on what to do for the border.

• calverttx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How pretty. I love it. Lots of cookies. Great idea about the border, I may do that.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

The detail is incredible on those cookies and so well done! I visited the quilt bug...dangerous place...there could be a Robert Rooster in my future :)
    V.