Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

Finally finished (almost!)

jennifer_in_va
10 years ago

Well, finished enough for pictures anyway!

Here's the quilt I've done for my niece's high school graduation.

My sister asked me to do something, like I'd done for my nephew after graduating high school. She had collected motivational quotes that she somehow wanted to include, and my niece was into white-black-grey-and purple (not a primary purple, though) The rest was up to me.

I originally chose this pattern because I thought I could embroider the quotes in the large squares. But when I got the printed version, I knew I wouldn't be able to do that with my machine.

Back story: Back when I got pregnant with my oldest, I was working at a screen printing & embroidery company. Since then I've continued to do some sewing for them, and help them out some. So when this project came along, I asked if they'd be able to screen print the sayings on my backing fabric. So this is how it came about.

I gave them the two backing panels marked with a printing area. They placed the sayings randomly, using different fonts. A few got messed up (1 has a double image) but what could we do...I couldn't get more fabric, and they were doing it for free, so I couldn't really complain too much.

I then had to piece it all into a backing big enough. My main issue is that when I set it up on the quilt frame, no matter how careful I was, I placed the top in the wrong place and the sayings on one edge went beyond the top!! So, I had to add the purple border (& batting on one edge). That was okay, but then on one edge, the quilting went beyond the edge, and since I had to add the border and not cut it off like normal, the rough quilting on the edge now shows on the back. This is what I have to remove tonight before washing.

Because I had to add the border, I then didn't have enough of the purple fabric for the binding. There was no way I could get back to the Charlottesville shop (2hrs away), so looked locally. I was able to get more of the same black for the piping, and could only find this solid purple ('eggplant') for the binding. I wasn't too sure about it, but now that it's on, I love it! I think it's a perfect frame, actually.

Soooo, long story short! lol I'm happy with the front. I would probably give the back an "A" for design and a "C" for execution. And I'm glad it's finished (almost). (overall size: 94" x 109")

May my next project be smaller!!

Comments (22)

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the back

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the corner detail of piping

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the label: finally one I didn't have to hand sew to the back!!

• msmeow
    10 years ago

WOW, Jen! What a lot of challenges you had! It's beautiful!

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I can see why you're so relieved this is as close to being finished that it is, and you have every right to be proud of it!! I think your binding and piping is a perfect frame, but the 'C' is a bit harsh since you weren't the one actually doing the printing. But, as usual, you handled it with the expertise that seems to come natural to you. :-)

It's a beautiful quilt, Jen.

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Your quilt, front and back, is absolutely awesome...love the colors, love the fabric, love the design, love the quilting! She will surely treasure this for many years! Bravo aunt jen!

V.

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

You met the challenge and climbed the mountain, so to speak. Terrific job and I agree that a "C" isn't deserving.
    I think the eggplant was meant to be. Just the right touch. Your sister and daughter will be thrilled. Great Job. TFS

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My sister kindly pointed out that the finish date on the label is wrong :0 Guess it'll get a marker fix!

• wanda_va
    10 years ago

You did an amazing job!! It is truly a masterpiece, and I hope she appreciates all the work and love that went into making it.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I thought you were 1 year behind in finishing the quilt for her --
    normal for quilters!
    The colors are very pretty - love the binding & the color - the quilting design is just the right amt -- what do you think?
    The unique backing is so special. She will love it.
    I am sure you are ready to move on to the next project and let this one become a distant memory.
    Big special quilts are stress-filled for us! The recipients love them and we stress over the specific imperfect parts that 'we' see. Life as a quilter is hard :)
    When is the big presentation?

• Vanislegirl88
    10 years ago

She will love it especially because you made it for her. I love it and I think you did an amazing job. I wouldn't have thought of putting the quotes on the back. That was a great idea and I think it worked out perfectly. Love the pattern and your choice of colours.

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Jen, your quilt is fantastic! I love the pattern. May I ask what it is called? And your mitered corners are perfection! What a great job for a lucky niece.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I think it's a lovely quilt! And your binding turned out great. Adding the quotes on the back is a really neat touch. I am sure it will be loved. Congrats on finishing it. TFS!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• mary_c_gw
    10 years ago

Jen,

I love this quilt! The quotes on the back are a marvelous touch. I think the whole quilt is wonderful - congratulations!

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

I agree, both are an A+! The quotes are a very good idea and printing is much faster than embroidery.

I'm sure it will be treasured.
    Rosa

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lois,
    It's called "BQ2" by Maple Island Quilts

Here is a link that might be useful: Maple Island Quilts

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Jen, thanks for the link...lots of interesting and unique designs to ponder.
    V.

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Love it, and I'm sure she will too. Just tell her the date is for the completed top, not the quilt. That is a great idea for the backing, wish I had a screen printer friend.

beverly

• bee0hio
    10 years ago

WoW! Outstanding! I love this quilt! Everything about it.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Fantastic, and the writing made me cry. How very wonderful a gift it is.
    LindaB/CA

• Joan Dupuis
    10 years ago

What a treasure piece that will be. Beautiful and meaningful.

• calliope
    10 years ago

Oh my...............it just leaves you at a loss for words. What an amazing idea with the quotes. I'm sure you're glad to be wrapping it up. It's really unique.