Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan_on

I am ridiculously happy!!

susan_on
11 years ago

My grandmother used to make quilts all the time, that's what she was known for. When I went to her home city in 2001 (she died in 1986), I approached her sister to ask if she knew of a quilt of hers that might be available for sale, but she said she couldn't help me. Anyway, my brother was here last week, and he was raised by my grandmother. My brother was cleaning out his attic and he found 29 finished dresden circles completed by my grandmother and 2 that were finished except for the centers. He discussed the situation with his wife, and they agreed that he would give them to me!! I was so excited, I couldn't sleep the night he gave them to me! I'm still amazed that I got them, and they are in perfect condition. I can hardly wait to put them together (although I have to figure out to do it).

Comments (18)

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Lucky you!
    Theresa

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

What a find. This is truly a rare opportunity to finish something within your family. I did the same for a cousin who found the wedding ring pieces. It's worth doing.

If you need help as you go along, don't forget we are here for you. Good luck.

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

I know the feeling of getting something your Grandmother worked on. I have over 50 Grandmother's Flower Garden flowers, all handpieced by my Grandma. I have to sew the white hexagons on some of them then sew them all together.
    I bet your brother got a great big hug from his very grateful sister!

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

What a wonderful story. Enjoy!

• empress
    11 years ago

Oh, Susan, I'm so happy for you, too. Have a wonderful time planning your project and remembering your grandmother.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

It's a treasure! She would be thrilled to know these blocks made it into the hands of a relative who would cherish them and use them!

• bev2009
    11 years ago

That's fantastic! The quilt will mean so much to you. The older we get, the more we appreciate these things.

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Susan, kudoes to your brother for making your wishes come true! I'm excited for you! I know how excited you're feeling. A couple years ago I was talking with my mother about quilting, and she gave me some blocks made by both of my grandmothers, and some unfinished pieces also. Right now they are in one of my sewing drawers, waiting for me to put them into a wall-hanging. I want to put them together with some blocks my mother made, and make it a 3-generation hanging.
    Enjoy those dresden circles, for they are indeed treasures!
    Dan

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

What a great story. You are so lucky to wind up with a family treasure like that.

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

Awesome!! You are so lucky! I wouldn't have been able to sleep either. Have fun :-)

Robbi

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

How special for you! I look forward to seeing your touch to your grandmothers blocks!
    V.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

How special for you! I look forward to seeing your touch to your grandmothers blocks!
    V.

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Susan, It makes my heart glad that you have the treasure that you appreciate. It brings tear to my eyes thinking about it.
    I am making sure that all my family has a "piece" of me and I can only hope they will have the same fond memories that you are feeling. God Bless.

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Susan, what a wonderful gift! I have some crochet work by my grandmother and I treasure it too. But this is so wonderful, because you will be able to finish your grandmother's work for her. It's very special.

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Susan that is wonderful that your brother gave you your grandma's quilt blocks. And once you make a quilt from them that will be even more family history in the quilting to pass on to future generations.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Susan~that gift would keep me from sleeping also! Please be sure to label the quilt recording the history and timeline for future generations. This is a wonderful story and you have a very sweet brother and SIL.

• susan_on
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone, I knew the people here would understand! I have a couple of cake projects to do this month before I can start on it. I should be able to start by the end of August or the beginning of September. I don't move fast because I'm a little bit of a nervous quilter, but I will probably be asking a lot of questions!

• polardream
    11 years ago

That is so awesome for you! When my grandmother died, my mom found a stack of grandmother's flower garden blocks she had hand pieced in a box in her storage shed. Mom is a quilter, too. She laid them out, made a few more to make it large enough, then finished it and gave it to me. I LOVE THIS QUILT! It is really special since it was made by both Mom and Grandma.

I am sure that you will do a great job and treasure it for years to come.
    Sue