Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

Fabric Inheritance!

vacuumfreak
10 years ago

My grandmother died a month ago and she was a hand quilter... I'm the only other person in the family who sews so the family decided I should get her fabric. I went to visit them on Sunday and we went to her house to go through some of the stuff... and I came away with 5 trash bags full of her fabric. Wow, she had a lot of variety!

Some of it is more contemporary than I imagined... I know a lot of it came from thrift stores and yard sales, and some of it is quite old because I still have remnants in my stash that she gave me when I was a pre-teen and wanting to learn to sew.... now I've got the rest of the yardage those remnants came from!

Being such an adamant hand quilter, she'll be rolling over in her grave as I start running her fabric under the presser feet of various sewing machines, but I think she'd be happy it will be getting good use nonetheless.

It couldn't have come at a better time because my stash is running low and I needed a lot of the colors she had (solid white, red, and blue mostly... she barely had any green at all!).

Granny didn't have much money, but for a quilter, a fabric inheritance is better than cash any day of the week! Now I have to figure out what to do with it!

The cat seems to already approve! The only problem is that it still smells like her house which isn't unpleasant, but a definite reminder.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my inheritance with you and of course I'll share pictures of whatever I make with it.

Comments (9)