Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

Sunshine Pineapple quilt top is done!

loisflan
11 years ago

It was rainy here today, so I got to work on my quilt top. It's done!! Yay!! I'm going to quilt this one myself, so there's still a lot to do, but I thought I'd show you my progress. Thanks for looking. Lois

Comments (38)

• susan_on
    11 years ago

Oh, that's nice! Very striking!

• nannykins
    11 years ago

That is a stunner!!!
    I am looking at the colours and thinking that they are exactly what I am looking for. Second grandson will be marrying soon and bride-to-be is from the Caribbean. So my plan (at this point) is to do something in Carib. colours. These fit the bill.
    Are they from a particular line?
    Theresa

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Lois, it's so pretty! I love the border. Can't wait to see it quilted!

Donna

• dee42
    11 years ago

Would you mind sharing the pattern you used for this SUnshine Pineapple quilt top. I would be interested in making this quilt if I can get a pattern. Thank you.

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

I love your choice of colors. It is just stunning. I'm also anxious to see it quilted.

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Very pretty! Reminds me of a happy summer day!

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Beautiful!!! Thank Goodness for Rainy Days!

I am amazed at how precise & exact each of your pineapples are using Batiks. You did a very nice job!
    The color placement in the border is stunning!!

What color / kind of backing are you planning?

I am also anxious to see this completed.

Thanks for showing your progress.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Fantastic! I'll bet it was fun working with all those gorgeous batiks. I love how you graded the rainbow colors too. If that's an original you need to teach a class. Again...fantastic!

• empress
    11 years ago

Wow! I love the colors, it truly is sunny! Great quilt. TFS.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Oh that border is perfect! You did a great job! The results are stunning!

• bev2009
    11 years ago

It's gorgeous! The colors are wonderful,it just makes me smile.

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Lois, the first thing I said when I saw your quilt was "WOW!". Talk about show-stoppers! I'd say you need to be patting yourself on the back for quite a while with this one!
    I'm with Dee, can you point us towards the pattern? I want one! Lol!
    Dan

• wanda_va
    11 years ago

Incredibly beautiful! Your colors and placement were brilliant. Can't wait to see the finished quilt. TFS

• loisflan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your generous responses. I wish I could take credit for the pattern, but Sunshine Pineapple is a creation of Vicki Stratton and can be ordered by contacting her at her website. The fabrics were purchased in Hawaii, but I've seen them on the mainland too. They were not from a collection.

The backing is the orange/blue green floral in this photo. The binding is the dark batik with orange leaves. The colors don't show up very well in this photo.

Thanks again for all your kind comments. I will post a photo when the quilting is complete - which may be a while from now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vicki's website

• Kristene Smith
    11 years ago

Wow again! So bright and cheerful. The graded colours around the border really catch your eye. Well done
    Kristene

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Very pretty. Makes me wish summer were year around. The bright colors are perfect for the pattern and work so well together. Lovily job and you will have fun quiting it.TFS

• murphy_zone7
    11 years ago

Fantastic. I remember when you posted a picture from the quilt shop in Maui (I think) and have wondered about it since. It is lovely and the piano key border is just the right finishing touch.
    Love it! Gonna search out the pattern myself.

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

Love all those gorgeous batiks, stunning, keep us up on the progress.

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

I love batiks, probably because of the bright colors! Love it!! Those open places will enhance the beaut when quilted, too.

Robbi

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Lois, That is absolutely gorgeous and I love it! You have a great eye for color placement!

I bought the Welcome Pineapple pattern but haven't done anything with it yet.

SharonG/FL-MI

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropical Patterns

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Sharon, thanks for the link! I ordered 2 patterns just now, Sunshine Pineapple, and Fantasy Fish! They've got a lot of great-looking stuff, and I'm thinking this might be the first of many orders, we'll see!
    Isn't it fun to discover a new fabric store, especially one that delivers to your door?

-Dan

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Lois love your color choices and how you blended them together in this quilt. It's really beautiful!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Lois, Your Pineapple quilt is stunning...Bravo!!! Looking forward to seeing it quilted.
    V.

• jaceysgranny
    11 years ago

Very fetching! The brightness will cheer you as soon as your eyes open!

• cms9323
    8 years ago

My mom is currently making the same pineapple quilt. She is at the point of appliqueing the pineapples. What stitch did you use? Also what thread did you use for the leaves? If you still have the quilt, can you take a picture of one pineapple up close?

• loisflan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi, CMS9323. I was so surprised to see this post pop up again. I used Mettler 50 weight cotton thread - a multi-colored for the pineapple body (color #9824) and a variegated green for the leaves (color #9818). I used a double blanket stitch to appliqué. Here are the close-ups.

I love this quilt. It hangs on the wall directly behind my sewing machine.

• cms9323
    8 years ago

Thank you so much for posting the photos. Your work is beautiful! My mom and I were in Hawaii almost 2 years ago and saw the quilt hanging in a quilt shop in Hilo. I loved it so much I asked her if she would make me one. So we picked out all of the fabric in Hawaii. We are going back to Hawaii in October and the goal is to have it done by then. The challenge for my mom has been the color choices and putting them all together. When she finishes (hopefully before October), I'll post a photo.

• ibquiltn4fun LindaH
    8 years ago

So colorful and eye-catching.

• trouzernc
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Lois, what is a Double Blanket stitch, and how is it different from the regular blanket stitch? Love the way your Pineapple quilt turned out! It's just fabulous!

• loisflan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, trouzernc. I just made up that name for the stitch. My machine has an option where the straight stitches are gone over twice by the machine and the perpendicular stitch is single. It makes a little more defined line around the appliqué. The icon on my Janome 6600 is a picture of the blanket stitch with the straight line thicker than the perpendicular lines.

• cms9323
    8 years ago

Lois, my mom finally finished the quilt top and we are trying to decide how to do the quilting. I like the way that you did the lines from point to point. Did you freehand the leaves in the border? I attached a photo of our top. Sorry it isn't the best photo.

• beth7happy
    8 years ago

Fantastic!!!! That is just beautiful!

• nannykins
    8 years ago

Beautiful!

Theresa

• ibquiltn4fun LindaH
    8 years ago

Love the beautiful batiks and the way the colors lead into each other. Beautiful work!

• loisflan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

cms9323, your mom's quilt top is just beautiful. She did a great job with the color gradation in the border. And it's not October yet. Still time to get it finished before you return to the islands. I think I may have chalked the lines for the leaves in the border before I quilted them, but the drawing was freehand. They are not very good, but it was one of my first attempts at FMQ. Now that I think of it, I should have cut out a template and drawn around that.

• carolnv
    8 years ago

Both pineapple quilts are gorgeous! If I ever get back to Hawaii I'm going to a quilt shop and buying the pattern and fabric! It would be my souvenir from the trip!

• HU-41656699
    last month

I have this pattern and I’m going to start it. any tips?

• loisflan
    Original Author
    last month

Wow, this is an old post! HU, it’s been so long since I made it, I can’t think of anything in particular that might help you. I know I had to be careful to place the pineapple on the background block in exactly the same position on each block. If I think of anything else, I’ll post it.

Funny that this post popped up now. This quilt has been hanging above my sewing machine for 12 years. I thought it was time for a change. My dear friend has a sister in Honolulu, so I sent the quilt to her. I thought it was time to send it back home to the islands. The FMQ was embarrassingly amateurish, but she loves it.