Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmeow

Anyone quilting this weekend? 8/24-8/25

msmeow
10 years ago

Or is it still too hot? :)

I plan to make 2 more of my tiny tree blocks then put it away for a while. It's getting a bit tedious and boring. Two more blocks will finish the last long row of 6 blocks.

A couple of weeks ago I got a new book that was published by the lady who does InkLingo, and I downloaded their sample shapes to try. That's my plan for Sunday. I also need to get my hand applique project organized to take on our vacation. We leave Sept. 13 - only 3 more weeks! I can't wait!

What's everyone else doing this weekend?

Donna

Comments (14)

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Not quilting but x-stitching. Many years ago, I did a lot of that work and that was the focus of baby gifts. Then along came quilting and baby gifts became quilts. The new GGD due in Sept., already has three quilts and a dozen burp cloths, so I realized she wouldn't have a x-stitch birth announcement unless I got out the thread and needles. I am well on the way with that project. Nice change of pace.
    Has anyone heard from Lindaoh about her tests??
    Theresa

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Theresa, I was actually wondering for a moment or two what "ex-stitching" was. Duh!

Just got home from Ketchikan, Alaska, where we had a great time fishing and catching tons of halibut and coho salmon. Also visited a great quilt shop there.

I hope to get some time on Saturday to work on my daughter's quilt. The fabric is all washed and I have some pieces cut. We have company coming Sunday, so I won't be getting a lot done though.

Have a nice weekend, everyone.

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

I will have my guild challenge quilt ready to bind by tomorrow as I sit at my desk job. I am preparing for a surgery next week so I'm trying to wrap up a few obligations and clear the deck. I will show you all the quilt later on. It turned out well and just as I designed it.

I enjoyed having my daughter here for a week, also a quilter, so had some input and another mind keeping me in check over this project. She kept saying "Get back to work. You need to have that done by next week."

I'll miss retreat this year but Bev will post lots of pictures for me to see. I'll be there in spirit.

• calliope
    10 years ago

We have fruit in every nook and cranny. I've done two canners of peaches this morning, starting working on it before four a.m. Hubby helped doing the second load, bless his heart. When peaches need done, they need done and you can't make them wait. One more load to do and then I must pick grapes tomorrow. Tomatoes waiting for more salsa. Been working on apples off and on for a week. My cup runneth over. Howsomever............I did finish the third border for my Chinese lantern quilt this morning. Need to press it out. Suppose I'll get to the last border at least by Sunday. Next week, I'll be starting to watch my g'grand daughter a couple days a week as her mama starts back to school. I'm looking forward to that. She is a precious little seven month old towhead and granny can't wait to pick her up and spoil her rotten.

• Robbi D.
    10 years ago

Definitely!! I'm working on my feathered star quilt blocks tonight because I have a class for more squares tomorrow. Behind again....

I'm also working on my gifts for the quilt retreat and plan to quilt my challenge wall hanging.

I have to shop most of the day tomorrow, so no sewing except for the class.

Robbi

• lindaoh_gw
    10 years ago

I probably won't quilt this weekend. I am not allowed to do much for a couple more days. I had a heart cath this week. Good news, no blockage or heart damage. It was a long day at the hospital, we didn't get home until 11:30 PM.
    Earlier this week I started putting the blocks together for the quilt I started last weekend. The seams are not abutting so next week I may do some repressing to make them match.
    Linda OH

• jackier123
    10 years ago

I didn't think that I was going to get much done as my husband decided that he wanted to spend the day with me tomorrow...haha I finally convinced him that he did need to go play golf with his friends! So I get all day tomorrow just to play in my sewing room! Besides, we spent all evening this evening together and he will probably be in the house all day Sunday since it is supposed to rain. I appreciate that he worries that I do not get out enough on weekends, but after working my full time day job and teaching 3 nights per week, I just want a day to myself!

Jackie

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

Not over the weekend, but I did go to Sit and Sew tonight... Picked up the Bernina from the shop on the way and looked at fabric... 80 bucks to fix the thread cutter, but it is working like a champ now.

There were only 9 people at Sit and Sew tonight... I worked on an Irish Chain using my grandmother's fabric. The food was awesome (homemade pulled pork, pigs in a blanket made with honey and nuts, homemade peach cobbler... and I didn't even cook tonight, I just bought a glazed marble cake from Publix) and I was able to sign up for the quilt retreat day in October... we're going to make a Window Pane 9 Patch. It should be fun and 25 people have already signed up for it.

Linda I'm glad there's good news about your heart!

Jackie, what a sweet husband to want to spend the day with you and to be concerned about you not getting out enough... so considerate! I can totally relate... after working a full week, I just want to sit down in front of my machine and relax and not deal with anyone!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Linda, Glad to read good news on your procedure. One day like that takes its toll...rest up.
    Jackie, what a sweetheart of a hubby, but i so get what you mean. After a full week, just chilling out sewing is a delight.
    Bobby, your sit and sew sounds like a delight; what a nice avenue for you to share and explore.
    I urged my dh to escape to the golf course and saturday i will have my home and sewing room all to me! ( Except for my bostons who will periodically demand attention). My intent is too finish a small top for 100 quilts for kids and prep fabric to assemble a quilt top while at the retreat.
    I've been challenged with sleeping lately so a surfing on the web i go... Its impressive and intimidating all of the web blogs on quilting and the enormous amount of talent and creativity you can find. So many ideas ....spark more ideas...it can be overwhelming, but I love sneaking a peak at all the sites. Found many new ones tonite...now have more ideas....it never ends and I love it!

• msmeow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linda, I'm glad to hear your good news! I know you'll feel all better soon.

Back when my DH worked at the store (thank goodness that's finally done!) he was the same way...I'd want to go do things on the weekend and he just wanted to stay home and veg. Now that he has weekends off he's doing a pretty good job of having stuff to do so I can still get time in my sewing room.

Donna

• sunnycentralfl
    10 years ago

Linda glad to hear your procedure is over and the good news that went with it...take it easy. I
    just finished layering a binding 2 scrap quilts and now just piddling in the sewing room to pick up and put away. So now on to the little Redwork patterns until my left shoulder and neck recover from the 2 large quilts.
    Gwen

• day2day
    10 years ago

Great news Linda. I'm sure it was a big relief.

Trying to sew. Just gave up because I was getting frustrated. The tension is kablooey! I'll have to wait for another day to try. If I go back there now, I'll just make things worse.
    Sometimes you just got to walk away.

~Geraldine

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Linda glad you got good news. Donna hope you enjoy your upcoming vacation. I am making pet quilts for a friend this weekend. Hope everyone enjoys their weekend.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• homesoul
    10 years ago

Unusual quilting designs have increasingly become popular as decorative textiles. Industrial sewing technology has become more precise and flexible, and quilting using exotic fabrics and embroidery began to appear.