Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
empress_gw

Finally finished, grandgirl's quilt

empress
11 years ago

Finally finished! This has been a UFO since before my grandgirl was born almost 8 years ago. It is not fancy, but is intended to be used. As hard as it is to believe in this heat, winter will be here again--some day--so I decided it was time to buckle down and finish her baby quilt to replace the oversized flannel blanket I did finish before she arrived. She told me she needs something a bit longer.

I used Kaye Wood's 6-hour quilt as a guideline, with my own measurements and no serger. I learned to hand quilt on this, experimented with various marking methods as well as trying out four or five different types of thimbles and methods.

My daughter and granddaughter have been cheering me on across state lines these past few months as I worked on it again, but I just had to share the finish with the people who help inspire me with all their wonderful quilts. It is washed, dried, and packed, ready to ship out. Woo Hoo!

Here is a link that might be useful: It's quilted!

Comments (17)

• nannykins
    11 years ago

That is LOVELY! I admire your handquilting.
    Theresa

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

wonderful job. You now have bragging rights amongst the best of us. I know your family will treasure this so hope you put a label on it for HER grandkids.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

It is beautiful and I'm certain it will be cherished!

Kate

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Beautiful! I love anything handquilted.

My sister started an intricate afghan when she was expecting her daughter. She gave to her on her 12th birthday lol!!!

• empress
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the kind words.

Yep, toolgranny. It is labeled. I blurred it out in the pics since it has her full name and birthdate. It is folded over showing on the upper left in one pic and hanging on the lower right in another pic. I used Micron Pigma markers and heat set it.

Too bad you can't see it, though. She was due mid month, so I went ahead and made the label with the month but not the exact date, heat set, washed it, stitched it on and started quilting. The little stinker waited to be born until just after midnight on the first of the next month. I had to cross out the month name and squeeze in the correct one. I left it that way just to let her know what trouble she was from the start! LOL.

• empress
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for posting that, rosajoe. I feel a bit better now. LOL

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Oh, so pretty. The hand quilted flowers are really beautiful.

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

It's beautiful and I love your hand-quilting.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Your hand quilting is so precise! Beautiful ~ and you must be proud! A wonderful quilt ~ look at it this way, now your grand daughter is old enough to appreciate it!
    Very funny about her birth month, and I think leaving it on the label is a nice story for her!

• loisflan
    11 years ago

What a wonderful, delicate, charming quilt! You did a fantastic job. Wow!

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

It's really beautiful...just love your workwomenship! I'm sure she'll treasure it!
    Valarie

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

YOu did a remarkable job. Your quilting is wonderful and I know your little girl will cherish her special gift.TFS

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

Beautiful quilt, beautiful hand quilting.

• loralee
    11 years ago

Very nice quilting work. I used to do hand quilt all of my Queen size quilts. The ole neck will not allow me to sit and do this any more.

The last two I had to send out to be machine quilted. I am pleased with the outcome of them. But just not the same look as a hand quilted one. Keep up the awesome work.

• fran1523
    11 years ago

Very nice. Love that label story.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Cute label story and I can appreciate the hand quilting as I used to hand quilt all of my quilts. Good job on getting it completed!

SharonG/FL-MI

• empress
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for the kind words, so nice to hear. DH says wow and beautiful, but he really has no idea.

GG has the quilt now and DD made sure she knew the label was there and why it was marked up. She says she's getting a hug from me whenever she wraps it around her. THAT is why I quilt!

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions