Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quiltingfox

I finished Christy's Grandbaby Quilt

quiltingfox
10 years ago

I just completed Christy Allen's grandbaby quilt. It measures about 40" x 40". It is all hand-pieced, hand-quilted with 1 row of echo quilting inside each piece and the crocheted lace was handmade using a pattern I had written for bookmarks and modified to use on her quilt and I hand-sewed it on the quilt. And it washes well on gentle cycle and dries well on medium heat. Really happy with how well her quilt turned out! I am going to show it off to few close friends and family and then get it in the mail to her. Now off to work on another project.

Best to you,
Sandra

Comments (19)

• msmeow
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sandra, that is so bright and pretty! I know it will be well-loved. Thanks for sharing!

Donna

• nannykins
    10 years ago

That is just lovely.
    Theresa

• lindaoh_gw
    10 years ago

Sandra, that is such a happy quilt. Beautiful!
    Linda OH

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

You did a remarkable job. It will become a wonderful treasure and a reminder of all the love that went into it. The lace makes it extra special and quite unusual. Great job. TFS

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all. And thanks Nanajayne about the lace. This is my first quilt to ever make crocheted lace for and it took me about 4 to 5 days to make the lace, I think I will be doing this on some of my future quilts. I have been working on this quilt since March, so about 5 months, it was a joy to work on, but am glad it is finished, it just feels so good to finish a quilt!

Best to you and thanks bunches,
    Sandra

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Bright and lovely! Truly a treasure...love the lace
    V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Sandra, You have persevered and conquered! What a beauty!!! When the baby is old enough to hear and understand the story, they will cherish it. I think this is the type of quilt that should have an envelope label with the steps of the quilt's existence written inside. :-)

Now, what's next? You've been thinking about it, right? So, come on, give. :-)

SharonG/FL

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Sandra, your quilt is beautiful. I just can't imagine doing that all by hand. What a precious keepsake!

• fran1523
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh, that is so pretty. It's a real treasure.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

This is so beautiful and each detail carefully thought out. I agree with Sharon, you need to document the process to pass onto the baby's family and keep with/on the quilt.
    The lace is exquisite. Your handwork is perfect - so much practice and attention!
    Your lace would be very pretty on a pillowcase!
    I especially like the flower in the center.
    Bravo!!

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all bunches! Sharon and Marsha I guess I can write down the quilt's making history in a nice card and send that with the quilt to Christy. She will be keeping this quilt at her house to use with this grandbaby and future grandbabies. I know she and her daughters will treasure it and keep it in family for future generations. I am going to show it to one of my friends at church and then my elderly hair-dresser wants to see it too before I mail it. I showed it to my Mom last weekend before I had the lace sewed on and she loved it. So hopefully by the end of next week will get it mailed to Christy.

Hmmm future projects, well I have several, first priority is to spend the next 6 weeks finishing embroidering the 2nd pillowcase for my Grandma's Christmas present. During this time I will also be making three 12" quilt blocks and framing them - one of our close family friends his grandparents passed during the past year and his mom gave me fabric that belonged to his grandma and great-grandma - the fabric is really old and I am not going to wash it for fear it might fall apart in the wash - I am not sure yet if I am going to machine sew or hand-sew the blocks, but would like to get them done by the end of September - I am still searching online for just the right block (s) patterns to use on these 3 blocks. And for our friend's mom I thought I would take a large piece of fabric as background inside a large frame and frame some of her mom's vintage 50 cent clothing patterns as a nice momento as a keepsake for his mom. Then I need to hand-sew all 100 of my parents' Card Tricks quilt blocks together to make their quilt top which I hope to quilt in 2014 - I just don't think I am going to be able to get it hand-quilted in 2013. My Mom is cleaning out her house and reclaiming her space. 20 years ago when we kids went to college Mom's dream was to turn one of our bedrooms in to her own sewing room - so for Christmas I am giving her a new sewing box & notions and my sister will be helping me buy things to go in her sewing box - and this will all be done in hopes to keep her motivated to create her own sewing room. I just bought her sewing box today. And when my Mom visited last Saturday she brought me some old quilt blocks that grandma (my dad's mom) made before she died - the fabric is quite old so am going to frame some of these for me and my sister - I am not sure what the pattern is called it's like a 4 quadrant block made of the half circle fan blocks. My husband wants a "5-year" lighthouse quilt queensize so I got the largest drawing pad I could get at Hobby Lobby today - I am going to draw and hand piece a large lighthouse landscape in the center of the quilt - and am still deciding on the rest of the quilt design. Then my son wants a Lego quilt twin-size for his bed - that will be a 2014 project. In between all these projects I want to work on some queen-size quilts for me to keep - a scrappy autumn colors Scattered Leaves quilt ( I have the pattern templates made and I have the fabric just have not gotten around to starting it yet), a Granny Square and Flower Applique quilt, a Lily Pond Crazy quilt with lots of embellishment, a future quilt down the road maybe attempt a Grandma's Flower Garden quilt (I am still debating this as I don't want it to become a UFO), And I would like to make a lighthouse landscape quilted wall-hanging or 3 12" x 12" lighthouse landscape framed quilt blocks to go above our bed to match the quilt he wants. These are things I would like to do, but it will take me many years to accomplish it all. That's my short-term list.

Sandra

• nannykins
    10 years ago

You are very ambitious and I admire your zeal. Good luck with all your plans.
    Theresa

• chrizty
    10 years ago

I Love it Sandra! Thank you so much!!
    This quilt will be treasured! Its not just a Grandbaby quilt. Its a friendship quilt! I love the flower in the middle cause we became friends through gardening. right here in GW :)

• calliope
    10 years ago

Some quilts are just special. This is one of them and I believe you just made an heirloom. It's beautiful.

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Theresa and Calliope and Christy! I know you will treasure it Christy and that's why I made it as best I could. You were the first person I ever traded plants with on GW, the years have flown by, what a great friend you are! I treasure our friendship.

Sandra

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

It is a masterpiece Sandra!! Everything from the fabric choices to the gorgeous lace work together perfectly.

As much as I love handwork I have never hand pieced a quilt. I may try it one day.

You sure do stay busy lady!
    Rosa

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you bunches Rosa. Handwork just relaxes me and that's why I continue to do it. It did take me about a year to get good enough at hand-sewing so that I could just eyeball a 1/4" seam and not have to measure it as I sewed. You should try it at least once Rosa.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

So glad someone mentioned it again! I missed seeing it the first time. It's beautiful!
    LindaB/CA

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Linda.

Best to you,
    Sandra