Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painted Silk - DONE!

Posted by k8orlando (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 15:22

This is the painted silk (on soy milk) piece from the Juanita Yeager class I took near the end of June. I've been terrified to quilt it, afraid I would make it look terrible. But last night I got brave and I'm glad I did! I like the way it turned out!

Two picture. One shows the whole quilt - it's not very large. The second shows a detail of the free motion quilting.

Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painted Silk - DONE!

Oh Kate! That is gorgeous!
Theresa

o

Bravo...It's absolutely beautiful!!! Such a lovely peice, it brings a smile to ones eyes! What's the name?
V.

o

That's really beautiful Kate!!! And the FMQ looks great!!!
TFS.

Best to you,
Sandra

o

The name... I usually do name them so this one needs a name too. I can't just keep calling it 'the silk one', especially if I do more.

Since I've been watching the Olympics and the largest, tallest flower is so bright, I think I'll call it "Go For The Gold".

o

That's just kewl! Are you going to let it stand on its own, or incorporate it into something larger? Either way, it's fantastic looking.

o

That's gorgeous - well done. Love the quilting, too.

o

WOW Kate that is amazing!!! Your quilting adds so much to the flowers.

I can't believe you quilted it all last night - it would have taken me forever lol!!!!!
Rosa

o

Very artistic.....the painting and quilting as well. The quilting is perfect! Excellent!

SharonG/FL-IN

o

You won the Olympic Gold on this one!!!! Absolutely stunning. You should put this one in your Guild's show. The quilting looks gorgeous!
I can't tell from the pic - what color thread did you use in the flowers?

o

I love your background quilting. Really gorgeous piece.

o

Rita - i did the background earlier, but also did it in one sitting of about 3 hours. Once I find the rhythm I hate to stop! Last night I did all the flowers and put the binding on, including hand sewing it to the back. Total time last night was 4 1/2 hours. It really felt great to finish it!

MRG - I matched the thread to the flower colors. Purple, gold, red. The red is Isacord's "blossom"; it's a great light red (but not pink).

o

It's beautiful! Doesn't it feel wonderful to finish something you really love? Your quilting is fantastic!
Linda OH

o

Wonderful job, especially with the FMQ. I'd have been scared too but you rose to the top. It's a treasure.

o

That is beautiful, Kate! And your free motion quilting is fabulous!

o

Thanks, Vac! You're all making me feel really good about this project.

Marsha, as a matter of fact, I DID have sangria with dinner. When it's time to quilt Diamond Snow I think I'll get out the tequila and see what happens!

Kate

o

Nice quilt! Why would anyone want to make it larger - it seems just right and well balanced the way it is.

I found this post because I took a class from Juanita a couple years ago and was googling her. I've found her website too and will see if she has new classes scheduled. I need a refresher if you can do this after just one class.

Wine, huh? Maybe that's what's been missing from my technique.

T

o

Kate, what a work of art. It's fabulous!! I especially admire the quilting. I hope to be able to "find the rhythm" someday myself. Kudos to you for a wonderful piece. Lois

o

oh.my.goodness!!!! What a beauty!! You're amazing, Kate!!
love...

o

WOW!!! That is incredible beyond words. Not only are the flowers spectacular, but also the quilting is amazing. I'd say you went for the gold--and won!!! TFS

o

Looks like my post from last night did not show up?

Fabulous painting and quilting, Kate! Is this to be a wall hanging or a table runner? You should be very proud of yourself!

Teresa

o

Wallhanging. The paint is supposed to be ok with washing but I don't want to chance it fading so i'll put it on the wall instead of the table!

o

Kate, your quilt is absolutely stunning - and the name is perfect! Love it.
Sue

o

Well, I'm glad to see you just sat down and did it. The quiting you chose is spot on. I never had any doubts, and chuckle to think you even second guessed yourself. It's perfect.

o

i know what you mean kate. i feel the same way about my mini wholecloth quilt i'm working on. i want it safe and sound where nothing can happen to it when it's done. your piece is bound to bring a lot of smiles and happy thoughts to people.

o

Looks beautiful! Great quilting-it really adds to the hanging.

o

You are an artiste for sure. It is beautiful. I can't imagine painting something and having it look like that!

o

Wow Kate, this is fantastic! I think your quilting really is perfect.

Lola

o

What a beautiful piece. Your quilting is amazing.

o

It doesn't look as if it is continuous stitching. Did you stop and start in another spot? If so, that was a lot of strings to finish off. I can't believe you did it either way so quickly. It's stunning.

o

Continuous within each color. I improved my skills at tracking back over, like at the spirals in the flowers. The white parts are just back and forth, with some squiggles, moons, and 'pebbles' every couple rows so it wouldn't be too boring to look at. I really wish I had a stitch regulator but I'll have to wait until I get my HandiQuilter Sweet16 or APQS George for that! For now the old Elna does a pretty steady job.

o

Kate it's beautiful! I think it looks awesome!

Best to you,
Sandra

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here