Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Painted Silk - DONE!

K8Orlando
11 years ago

This is the painted silk (on soy milk) piece from the Juanita Yeager class I took near the end of June. I've been terrified to quilt it, afraid I would make it look terrible. But last night I got brave and I'm glad I did! I like the way it turned out!

Two picture. One shows the whole quilt - it's not very large. The second shows a detail of the free motion quilting.

Kate

Comments (31)

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Oh Kate! That is gorgeous!
    Theresa

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Bravo...It's absolutely beautiful!!! Such a lovely peice, it brings a smile to ones eyes! What's the name?
    V.

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

That's really beautiful Kate!!! And the FMQ looks great!!!
    TFS.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The name... I usually do name them so this one needs a name too. I can't just keep calling it 'the silk one', especially if I do more.

Since I've been watching the Olympics and the largest, tallest flower is so bright, I think I'll call it "Go For The Gold".

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

That's just kewl! Are you going to let it stand on its own, or incorporate it into something larger? Either way, it's fantastic looking.

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

That's gorgeous - well done. Love the quilting, too.

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

WOW Kate that is amazing!!! Your quilting adds so much to the flowers.

I can't believe you quilted it all last night - it would have taken me forever lol!!!!!
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Very artistic.....the painting and quilting as well. The quilting is perfect! Excellent!

SharonG/FL-IN

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

You won the Olympic Gold on this one!!!! Absolutely stunning. You should put this one in your Guild's show. The quilting looks gorgeous!
    I can't tell from the pic - what color thread did you use in the flowers?

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

I love your background quilting. Really gorgeous piece.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rita - i did the background earlier, but also did it in one sitting of about 3 hours. Once I find the rhythm I hate to stop! Last night I did all the flowers and put the binding on, including hand sewing it to the back. Total time last night was 4 1/2 hours. It really felt great to finish it!

MRG - I matched the thread to the flower colors. Purple, gold, red. The red is Isacord's "blossom"; it's a great light red (but not pink).

• lindaoh_gw
    11 years ago

It's beautiful! Doesn't it feel wonderful to finish something you really love? Your quilting is fantastic!
    Linda OH

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Wonderful job, especially with the FMQ. I'd have been scared too but you rose to the top. It's a treasure.

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

That is beautiful, Kate! And your free motion quilting is fabulous!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Vac! You're all making me feel really good about this project.

Marsha, as a matter of fact, I DID have sangria with dinner. When it's time to quilt Diamond Snow I think I'll get out the tequila and see what happens!

Kate

• triffid
    11 years ago

Nice quilt! Why would anyone want to make it larger - it seems just right and well balanced the way it is.

I found this post because I took a class from Juanita a couple years ago and was googling her. I've found her website too and will see if she has new classes scheduled. I need a refresher if you can do this after just one class.

Wine, huh? Maybe that's what's been missing from my technique.

T

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Kate, what a work of art. It's fabulous!! I especially admire the quilting. I hope to be able to "find the rhythm" someday myself. Kudos to you for a wonderful piece. Lois

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

oh.my.goodness!!!! What a beauty!! You're amazing, Kate!!
    love...

• wanda_va
    11 years ago

WOW!!! That is incredible beyond words. Not only are the flowers spectacular, but also the quilting is amazing. I'd say you went for the gold--and won!!! TFS

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Looks like my post from last night did not show up?

Fabulous painting and quilting, Kate! Is this to be a wall hanging or a table runner? You should be very proud of yourself!

Teresa

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wallhanging. The paint is supposed to be ok with washing but I don't want to chance it fading so i'll put it on the wall instead of the table!

• polardream
    11 years ago

Kate, your quilt is absolutely stunning - and the name is perfect! Love it.
    Sue

• calliope
    11 years ago

Well, I'm glad to see you just sat down and did it. The quiting you chose is spot on. I never had any doubts, and chuckle to think you even second guessed yourself. It's perfect.

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

i know what you mean kate. i feel the same way about my mini wholecloth quilt i'm working on. i want it safe and sound where nothing can happen to it when it's done. your piece is bound to bring a lot of smiles and happy thoughts to people.

• bozogardener
    11 years ago

Looks beautiful! Great quilting-it really adds to the hanging.

• bev2009
    11 years ago

You are an artiste for sure. It is beautiful. I can't imagine painting something and having it look like that!

• lola99
    11 years ago

Wow Kate, this is fantastic! I think your quilting really is perfect.

Lola

• Joan Dupuis
    11 years ago

What a beautiful piece. Your quilting is amazing.

• bev2009
    11 years ago

It doesn't look as if it is continuous stitching. Did you stop and start in another spot? If so, that was a lot of strings to finish off. I can't believe you did it either way so quickly. It's stunning.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Continuous within each color. I improved my skills at tracking back over, like at the spirals in the flowers. The white parts are just back and forth, with some squiggles, moons, and 'pebbles' every couple rows so it wouldn't be too boring to look at. I really wish I had a stitch regulator but I'll have to wait until I get my HandiQuilter Sweet16 or APQS George for that! For now the old Elna does a pretty steady job.

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Kate it's beautiful! I think it looks awesome!

Best to you,
    Sandra

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals