Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quilter_robbi

As if i didn't already have enough to do!

Robbi D.
12 years ago

I signed up for another BOM! This one looks like fun and a little bit of a challenge. I'm new to paper piecing, but these blocks don't look very difficult and there's a little bit of hand applique which I love. Have any of you done this quilt?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rainbow Jane BOM

Comments (25)

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Bit of a challenge?? That's a Dear Jane in brights. My goodness. You're braver than I am. I can't even get my SBS sampler done and it's only 140 blocks.

Good luck. Should we have an ambulance standing by??

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I started a Dear Jane and now I can't even find it! It's wierd because it's in a huge 3-ring binder. Have fun with your challenge. @:)

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

10 blocks a month! 225 total blocks! 2 years! That's quite a commitment!

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

I like it better than most Dear Jane quilts but...That is over $600 for an 84x84" quilt!

They don't even send the instructions for free - you either have to print them out yourself, buy a book or pay an extra fee each month to get them. And you can't drop out!

That's way to much commitment for me.

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

I have a Dear Jane that I am hand pc. from Brenda Pappadakis book. I work on it about once a mo. when some friends and I get together. It is going to end up in a garage sale or my estate sale still undone. One of the most difficult things I have tried because you have to make your own pattern for the 4" blocks. There is an artical in the new Patchwork and Quilting about this new effort. I didn't know it was PP, which sould make it easier for those who enjoy PPing.
    I am down to 13 blocks left for SBS. Wanted to finish last mo. but Kates elephants go in the way. Maybe this mo.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Robbie- the terms of the BOM are a huge financial commitment-just so you understand. People spend years completing Dear Jane quilts. Yes, they are very beautiful, but this is a huge commitment to this company who profits whether you make the first block or not.
    Not to dampen your enthusiasm, just want you to go into this with your eyes wide open. Me, personally, I do not like auto - bill & send anything! especially in this economy. Magazines subscriptions are as risky as I get.

• Robbi D.
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I know I'm crazy. The commitment financially is big, but they send 8 FQ's each month, and over 2 years, I don't mind. At my LQS, 8 FQ would be $20, so I don't see that they are making a huge profit. I also don't mind printing off the instructions (they are emailed each month). This isn't auto-billed, they said they would send an invoice month, so I'm not sure how they will "make" me pay (although I will).

I'm excited to get started and anxiously awaiting my first shipment!! I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Robbi

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Good for you, Robbi, for not letting us discourage you from something you want to do! If you are willing to take on Dear Jane, I think this bright version is the way to go because it looks like it makes a stunning quilt! Please keep posting pictures to show your progress.

Kate

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I'll be your biggest cheerleader!!! You Go Girl!
    I agree with Kate - keep us posted so we can admire your work, encourage you, and be jealous!
    This bright version is very refreshing.

• Robbi D.
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, guys!! I'll keep you posted. I have my seat belt on and I'm ready for the ride :-)

Robbi

• vicky4x4
    12 years ago

Not something I would do but I'm glad you are going ahead with it. Have fun.

Vicky

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Robbi, I found my DJ and have 12 blocks and 1 triangle done. You've inspired me to begin on this again. It won't be as gung-ho as you'll be doing, but maybe a block or two a month. Yours will look awesome in shades of the rainbow.

SharonG/FL

• fran1523
    12 years ago

Robbi, That is the only Dear Jane quilt I've seen that I liked. Its 'actually quite pretty in those colors. Have fun with it. We'll be looking for pictures of the finished product.

• Robbi D.
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I received my first batch of fabrics in the mail yesterday and they are sooo pretty! Very bright and fun. I should have the pattern CD by this weekend, so guess what I'll be doing on Sunday! (I have a college graduation on Saturday)

Sharon, Glad to have you join me! Maybe we can keep each other on track.

Robbi

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Robbi, I don't know if you're on Facebook or not, but there's a Jane Stickle Quilt Group you might be interested in. I've put my request in to join as reading how others have completed their blocks (and more than one quilt!), is an inspiration.

(I made another block yesterday) :)

SharonG/FL

• Robbi D.
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sharon,

Yes, I'm on Facebook,and I also just sent a request to join, so I'll "see" you over there!!?? that will be great to see what others are doing and a place to ask questions, too. Thanks!!

Robbi

• Robbi D.
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sharon,

I found a blog that has tutorials on all the blocks if you haven't seen it. It looks like a good place for help. She has helpful links, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Quilt Blog for Dear Jane

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

That looks like it will really be helpful, Robbi. Some of the pieces are so tiny, I might even have to foundation piece.

SharonG/FL

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Sharon, Thanks for the DJ site. Looks like a winner. Will have to spend more time there soon.

• wendyfaye
    12 years ago

8O
    HOLY SMOKES!!! I am agog!!

WOW, you go girl!!! I can't even dream of ever attempting that. I'll just be proud to know someone who does.

Cheers from here.
    Faye

• Robbi D.
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My CD with the patterns is sitting at the post office (the carrier won't deliver packages to us because of the dogs). So, hopefully tonight I can start!! I am so excited!

Robbi

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Robbi, When I first received my DJ book, I had the spine cut off, put each page into a plastic sheet protector and then into a huge 3-ring binder. So far, I'm keeping each block with the page of the pattern in the sheet protector. I only have 15 completed, so it isn't a problem.

SharonG/FL

• Robbi D.
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sharon, that's what I do with all my BA books! And the pattern pieces go in the sheet protector as well. Are you organizing by month (are you doing BOM?) or just all the A's together? This set includes fabric, so I'm not sure how to store the fabric with the instructions. Any ideas?

Robbi

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I'm not that organized and I just do whatever block I fancy. If they're sending you certain block patterns each month, then those are the ones you'll be doing, right? Maybe I should do whatever you're doing but you'll get way ahead of me. I'm machine piecing as much as I can and taking measurements from the block in the book.

SharonG/FL

• Robbi D.
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I'm doing a BOM, and they are sending me all the materials (which is really nice!!). I'd like to keep each month together, so I'm trying to figure out the best way so I don't get all confused (which can happen so easily!!).

I got my patterns yesterday and printed the first one on the computer. It's taking some getting used to to get my brain to do the mirror thing with piecing. It isn't helping that my freezer paper won't stay stuck to my fabric long enough for me to sew anything! So, that is my project for the day, find a way to keep the pattern on the fabric.

Robbi