Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? Aug. 10-12

lindaoh_gw
11 years ago

I probably won't do much sewing this weekend. My DH had knee replacement surgery on Tuesday and came home yesterday afternoon. He is walking with a walker and has started PT three days a week. We just came home from his first session. He is recovering very well.

Are you planning to quilt this weekend?

Linda OH

Comments (29)

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Not me, either. Hubby's dad is getting married tomorrow and hubby's sisters are turning it into a huge production. We're also keeping the MN sister Sunday. :(

I'd rather be sensing!

Donna

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Probably. I have a quiet weekend but nothing pressing on the sewing machine. I finished up all the birthday blocks and now must settle down and select what my next project will be. I have so many UFOs to choose from but also a couple of piles of new fabric that could turn into something wonderful.

But, I'm sure I'll have my hands on my Featherweight during the weekend even if only for an hour.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Hope so. Can't decide whether I'll quilt the just finished project or start cutting the pieces for a new one. Reality says finish! However, starting fresh with all that pretty fabric is soooo exciting.

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

I got a lot of housework done today, so hopefully that frees up most of my weekend to do some hand-quilting on my Grandma's quilt while watching tv with DH as he recovers from surgery. I am so ready for cooler temps this fall.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• calverttx
    11 years ago

I will be quilting this weekend and taking a FMQ class on Sunday afternoon. I wanted to make a wall hanging for Christmas. I needed 37 small pieces of Christmas fabric and not much in my stash. After buying fabric and finishing the wall hanging I had enough fabric to make a patchwork Christmas quilt. Now you see why there is very little stash.Happy Quilting...................

• karpet
    11 years ago

I hope to work on some FMQ that I've been dragging my feet on.
    Karlene

• empress
    11 years ago

Definitely working on the Spicy Spiral table runner. Just got the pattern and ruler, chose my fabrics, just need to get to sewing strata.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

No quilting for me unless I can sneak some in on Sunday evening.

I made one of those microwave potato baker pockets tonight, but thats too small to count.

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Yep, more on the pineapple quilt. All the pineapple appliques are finished and sewn together. The inner border is finished, and I'm working on the narrow second border. Then I will work on the scrappy piano key border. I cut all the pieces months ago, so it's going pretty fast now.

• calliope
    11 years ago

Well, I'm knee deep into canning and putting up for winter. Corn two days ago, and peaches today. Grapes and apples are coming on. The apple harvest goes on for a month or more, and I just leave the peeler and canner out for the interim.

However, the early morning BELONGS TO ME, an hour minimum, more if I get up early enough. My cuppa, and my quilting.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Kate, maybe I can get a little in tomorrow night, too. I hope so!

Donna

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

calliope...you make me feel very lazy! Sounds like something you must enjoy though. When I canned in the past I lived in Salinas and it was rarely very warm. Now that I live in a hot climate I can't imagine how hard it must be!

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Linda and Sandra, best wishes for a speedy recovery for hubbies.

Donna, a relative had been dating a widower for about six months and things were going well. As soon as he proposed to her his 2 adult children and sisters started raising cane. They said his wife had not been deceased long enough and he was being disrespectful. So it's great to hear of a family that wants happiness for the ones left behind!

I have a BBQ for my nephew home from Afghanistan this evening - I skipped the bday party today - too many parties in one day lol!!!

The Olympics and Little League have me crocheting an afghan more than quilting this weekend.
    Rosa

• calliope
    11 years ago

Rosa, that 'children having issue' with the remarriage after the death of a wife came up with one of my cousins who married the spouse of her deceased sister. Let's put it this way........how receptive would an adult child be to their parents meddling in their personal relationships and making judgements as to their needs and presuming to know how the dead spouse would feel? I think many married people would want their remaining spouse to feel love and companionship should they pass away first. It's like having another child would make the existing children less loved?

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

I'd planned on spending some time in the gardens and with my sewing machine Sunday and Monday, but instead I'll be doing a small renovation in the bathroom, inspired by a leaking shower and a built in cabinet behind it. ***sigh***

Dan

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Just got home from vacation late Friday night to a broken water heater...ughhh. Need to do some relocating of stuff from the cabinets in the bathroom so they can get in there and see what's going on (old house, water heater in the bathroom)
    I probably won't get any sewing done until Wed. at my guild UFO day where I plan to get the 2 birthday blocks for August made and work on my Sylvia's Bridal Sampler.

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Tuppermom~so sorry to hear about your plumbing problem-I hope your hot water heater only stopped functioning and you did not have water leak/damage. I hate plumbing issues!

I sewed alittle yesterday, but mostly I shopped online for some batik charms and some notions that I did not need - does that count?

Today I am going to move my Featherweight from in front of the TV (watching Olympics) - it was uncomfortable and not as productive as I had hoped to be, so resorted to sewing on my regular machine.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

tuppermom...how awful! Hope it quickly and not too expensively resolved.

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Thanks Ladies......I have been telling my husband that I thought it was on it's way out because it is over 40 years old. Our son was home while we were away and it wasn't working and then it was so of course the day we came home it quit for good. I have 5 brothers and sisters so often had to boil water to have a hot bath when I was younger but it has only been 2 days and it is getting pretty tiresome! And DS loaded the dishwasher up while we were away so I have to boil water to do all of those dishes...ugghhhh

I will probably have a big mess for a few days :(

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Linda - please be sure to tell your husband it gets much better after the first two weeks! Knee replacement surgery is brutal but he'll be very glad he did it.

Kate

• nannykins
    11 years ago

For Mary:
    Several years ago we were redoing the kitchen, so of course we had no sink or dishwasher. Teenage daughter having to wash dishes in a tub on the table was heard to complain "what is this, pioneer times?" Little did she know that her mother used to do them like that a lot and she is no pioneer. Kids!!
    Theresa
    PS Also meant to ask Mary, did you drive to Illinois by way of Buffalo or Detroit?

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Yes, everyone's happy about dad's marriage. He married his sister's best friend from junior high school. They've known each other for 70 years! The kids all grew up calling her "aunt" Bobbie. Bobbie's husband died 20 years ago and Mark's mom died 3-1/2 years ago.

Donna

PS - no sewing for me today. :(

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Theresa,
    We went through Sarnia/Port Huron. It is faster than Detroit and although we are only an hour and a half from Buffalo, going to Illinois that way is very long. We take the 401 to London then the 402 to Sarnia. Then it is I69 to I94,below Chicago and down I57. Takes about 11 hours or so but is always longer for us because we stop at quilt shops, antique shops and do other shopping.

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Linda~my best to your hubby for a speed recovery!

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! He is doing better today. He seems to be walking a little better and the pain is under control. They stressed taking the meds to stay ahead of the pain.
    Linda OH

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Tuppermom, good luck with the water heater! It's a pain to go through right now, but you'll make it, you really will!

Marsha, shopping for fabric and notions counts! It's part of the fun!

After a good number of mishaps, back aches, and even rescuing a cat from out of the wall, I'm happy to announce that my plumbing/construction project is over! I'd do a dance, but I'm too sore...lol! There is now a small open space above the cabinets, so I've decided to store my unused towels there and hang curtains to enclose it, so I'll get to sew some new curtains tomorrow! I'd call that a silver lining, wouldn't you? Lol, good night!
    Dan

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

Wow, two people had husbands with surgery and two had plumbing issues! What a busy weekend!

Marsha, I also did not like it when I tried the sewing machine in front of the TV.... it was so incredibly uncomfortable that I moved it back to the desk within 5 minutes!

I did a lot of sewing on my skull quilt this weekend.... It was going kind of slow to start with, but then I decided to chain piece and had it over halfway done in 2 hours! The time just flew by!

Not even close to done, but the process is fun.

I must be the only one who doesn't watch or care about the Olympics.... I was going to sew more tonight but went to visit friends for a True Blood party instead.... it was time to get out from behind the sewing machine and do something social beside work!

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

Linda and Sandra, hope your hubbies are well on the way to recovery. Donna, back in the mid-nineties, FIL announced he would remarry after quite a few years of MIL's death. Although we wanted happiness and companionship for him, we knew his choice was a huge mistake. But rather than butting in we kept our peace and never let on, not wanting to be a part of the classic interfering children scenario. We did all we could to keep our peace and make his choice and her whole family feel welcome. It only lasted about 3 years and turned out to be a nasty, dragged-out, expensive divorce. Sometimes I wonder if it would have been better to open our mouths. This seems to be the year of everything breaking down for us, too. Earlier we had to replace our air conditioner, then shortly after that the riding lawnmower, this past week our washing machine bit the dust. Only a little over 5 years old. (Just 4 months after the extended warranty wore out.) I will never again get one of those high-end front-loaders, when they break down the cost of repair is more than a regular new washer. We watched quite a lot of the Olympics, but I did get sick of all the Volleyball, I can't remember in the past that this was such a huge event. I was pleased that the US won so many medals, though. At least it was a break from the usual surfing of over 500 stations and still nothing to watch. And last of all, did some work on the mini, only a small amount to go on the quilting. It's all hand work, piecing and quilting. I have no idea what I'll do with it when done, though.

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Calliope your talking about canning brings warm thoughts of my mom. She canned veggies from our garden and fruit from our small orchard every year I have been living. Earlier this month she was canning pears. My favorite things she canned were the apple/pears for fried pies - so yummy makes my mouth water just thinking about them. They were our favorite snacks as children.

Linda hope your hubby has a speedy recovery. Rosa and Ritaweeda thank you for the get well wishes for my hubby. He is recovering from major back surgery, so hoping that if all goes well and smoothly that at the latest he should be well and healed by Christmas. He goes for a dr. follow-up in another month and a half and we will find out more then. So please do keep him in your prayers, I appreciate that. And Rosa in between quilting I am also trying to finish a crocheted Ripple afgan to give my son for Christmas. He is still in elementary school, but am trying to make it large enough so that he can use it now through college. I started it last Christmas and have gotten it about 2/3 completed. Well I am off to get some more quilting done on my Grandma's quilt - I have a little over 40 hours of hand-quilting done on it. I am trying to keep up with the hours it takes me to hand-quilt her queen-size quilt just for curiosity's sake and for future reference for my next queen-size quilts that I make. Well off to quilt.

Best to you and many thanks,
    Sandra