Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imrainey

Free bag pattern

14 years ago

I've made enough bags for a little while but I ran across this link this morning for this adorable and useful bag.

And here's the pic that got me excited about it.

Comments (8)

• 14 years ago

Tutorials for making the bag also start here and continue on that site.

OK. Maybe I could use one more bag... ;>

• 14 years ago

I don't want to stir anything up but I was quite surprised to see this link and the pattern that's copyrighted too. I bought a very similar pattern for a schlep bag this fall and I know it's been around for quite a few years. I wonder how much different this one needed to be. I tried to find mine but it's buried...
    I haven't made one yet but my friend gave me one from the directions I bought and said there is a tricky part. Maybe I'll compare the two.
    These are very popular around here.
    Kelly - lots2do

• 14 years ago

Hmmm. Tricky?

I've used that technique of creating the X and then sewing the sides together before for small containers. I didn't find it tricky in the least. I had to hand sew the seams on the tiny bags but on a large one I'm sure doing it by machine is not a problem. Here are my thread catchers formed from strips instead of squares and here's the link to the tutorial I used to make them. Not sure if it was here or some other place that I first found that one.

Haven't decided whether I'll do the big bags all in recycled denim or just use sturdy denim for the 4 squares that form the bottom.

As for which came first -- the free download or the copyrighted pattern -- I don't know and, altho I wouldn't violate a copyright I don't feel uncomfortable about sharing what's already on the web. I've found several times that people are selling patterns for what I've already discovered for free or known how to do since Girl Scouts. And sometimes I pay for the pattern -- like the snap open/closed bags I recently shared -- and someone else has the free instructions to share. I pay happily when I need to and use what comes along when it's available. ::shrug::

• 14 years ago

I think many of us are willing to pay for something we want at the moment or for something where the math & work hhas been done for us already. You can figure many patterns out for your self just by studying it but do you want to?
    If the patterns exact then I guess that's a no no to put it on the web, but that's for them to work out :)

ANYWAY, does anyone know of a pattern for a more sling type of bag, more rounded on the bottom. I looked at the quilt shop & went thru the regular pattern co. books & can't find what I want. Maybe because it's too simple or would take a lot of fabric? These seem to be what the girls carry. Seems like the strap could be part of the body of the bag. They are shaped a little like those wine things we used to take to concerts on the 60's....remember those, LOL!
    I think they would be so cute out of wild Kaffe Fasset fabric or the like. Jill

• 14 years ago

I was most certain I had found this link from the quilting forum, but can't find it now.
    Anyway, here's more bag patterns than you can shake a stick at! LOL
    Hope it helps and have some fun! ;)
    Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY bag lover tutorials and patterns

• 14 years ago

This is my schlep bag, it is large and roomy. I added the drawstring and lotus buds! I may try a smaller one from this tutorial which is much better than what I used. My squares are 6".
    JEAN

• 14 years ago

Love your bag Jean!!
    Thanks Cathy, wow I should be able to find something there!

• 14 years ago

Love how vibrant your bag is!