Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two questions

Posted by nannykins (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 14:38

I just finished a place mat that was octagonal, ( the corners lopped off).
I did my binding as a regular quilt binding. Problem comes when trying to miter those odd corners. Any suggestions?
Second question. Instead of trying to quilt the centre of the mat which is a pig pattern, I opted to use a single stitch design in each snout. I kind of like it but am wondering if you have ever used this technique and do the stitches stay there. The manual says it does a lock stitch but I wonder.
Thanks
Theresa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two questions

I can hardly wait to see your pig placemats!

I've used a locking stitch on my machine in place of using cord to tie a quilt. It was a cat's quilt and I didn't want any string they could chew on and swallow. It worked and has held through many washings.

Kate

o

Hope this link helps. Lois

Here is a link that might be useful: Binding odd angles

o

Thanks Lois! That is pretty much what I did (without the pins and red dots).
I just found it difficult to get a nice mitre on the back. I will bookmark that site and refer to it again.
One of our Church workers collects all things pig. When I saw this fabric and there was only a FQ left, I had to get it. Since she is a single lady, one mat will do it for her.
And here is the finished mat.
Theresa

o

Teresa, she will love it and it will bring a smile to her face each time she uses it. It makes me smile!

o

Those Piggies are adorable!! The design of the place mat is perfect to showcase the fabric - she is sure to love it!
I'm no help on the binding-it looks good to me!
Cute-cute-cute!!!!

o

Adorable. A very thoughtful gift.

o

It's very cute, Theresa, and your corners look great. She will love it.

o

No help on the binding from me either....but the placemat is adorable. My sister was once commissioned to make big adult bibs for a little BBQ place once, she used that same fabric and they were a hit!

o

Your friend will be thrilled! Great job and nice miters.
I like that pattern for the placemat, will have to try and remember it. TFS.

o

That is just Too Cute...,she will love it!
V.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here