Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magothyrivergirl

Pat Speth - Nickle Quilt Blog

magothyrivergirl
11 years ago

I know there are Pat Speth fans here -- Teresa!!!!

She now has a blog. I am struggling to find what to do with the charms I bought!

I finally decided on a block to try with the Batik charms I bought from connecting Threads and now I need to buy more!

Take a look at her website and her blog. Lots of nice tips and hints, as well as free patterns on her website. Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Nickle Quilt Blog

Comments (16)

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Thanks, Marsha! I made her Ozark Maple Leaf quilt several years ago using all batiks. I loved how it turned out!

I like the idea of 365 blocks made with nickel squares!

Teresa

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

She visited our guild and was a lovely person. I've always wanted to try one of her patterns. Thanks for the link, Marsha.

• mnbobbi
    11 years ago

Teresa, that is a beautiful quilt! I am going to check out the blog.

• magothyrivergirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The link to Pat's free patterns on her website is posted below, which is different than her blog.

Teresa-did you notice your Gentleman's quilt pattern hanging on the wall in the first classroom picture? Wasn't that from one of her Nickle Quilt books?

Here is a link that might be useful: Free patterns

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Marsha, Thanks for the link...you are a wealth of links, tips and tricks, love it, but need more hours in my day to keep up! when will I quilt??? lol. I've picked up so many pointers with the information from everyone on the forum...everyone is so helpful, it's wonderful. I've been trying to convince antoher friend of mine to join the forum, but I think she may be a lurker for now.
    Teresa...the quilt is just lovely, love those batiks.

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Yes, the Flying Home from Bali Bali is the pattern I made for my Gentleman's quilt.

I counted today and I have made 5 quilts from Pat's books:

Sunny Lanes
    Flying Home from Bali Bali
    Morning Star
    Ozark Maple Leaf
    and Sea Breeze.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Nice quilt, Teresa!
    I have a large charm pack of Jinny Beyer's graduated colors and still can't decide what to do with them. I really like many of Speth's patterns but can't decide which one to use! Maybe Tillie's Treasures? Or the one that's on the cover of her original Nickel Quilts book; I think it's called Texas Two Step.

Kate

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Kate, I think both those quilts would look wonderful in your Jinny Beyer fabrics. It will depend on whether you want to keep the charm square as the focus of the block or cut it up to have smaller pieces of each charm in the blocks.

Here is a link to the Workshop page showing many of the quilts that can be made from 5" squares using Pat's books.

Here is a link that might be useful: a bevy of Nickel Quilts

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

I just noticed the little camera that lets us know there are pics on the thread - cute!

• magothyrivergirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm guessing the little camera icon is displayed when you post a pic using GW's new pic loading feature. Teresa-is that how you posted your pic? Thanks for the list of quilts you've made from her books and patterns. Sharing your quilts is what made me look at her patterns and books a few years ago!

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

I still use the old method: go to my PictureTrail account, get the URL address for the picture I want, copy & paste into the message. Haven't had time to try out the new method from GW.

Teresa

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Last night I finally ordered her Nickel Quilts book. (Thank you Amazon.com!) I've picked it up so many times over the past few years but always put it back on the shelf. It was time to make it mine!

I also ordered Free Motion Quilting with Angela Walters. My local quilting friend has it and I think I have more finger prints on it than she has so decided it was time to get that too.

BTW, I like the old picture method best too because you can delete pictures if you decide you don't want them posted anymore. With the GW system, once it's there, it's there forever.

Kate

• magothyrivergirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That kills that theory! :)
    I hope / want the icon to appear for all methods of posting pics!! yay
    I'm not sold on the GW method - you have no control to remove the picture if you want to delete it for any reason.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Thanks for bringing this up, Marsha, and for the link to free patterns. I think I've found what I want to do with some plaids (besides Maverick Stars) and since the thrift shops usually have a good selection of plaid shirts, I should be ok for fabric.

SharonG/FL-IN

• magothyrivergirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I saw a quilt where maverick stars were used as the sashing,
    creating the secondary design!!! It was quite striking.

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Teresa made me a fan when she posted her Sunny Lanes from the retreat.

I have both of her 'Nickels' and I have been looking at the lastest with the borders.

Thanks Marsha I didn't know she had a blog!!!
    Rosa