Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quiltingfox

Which seam should I sew first?

quiltingfox
9 years ago

I am making a table runner made of kaleidoscope blocks. I am trying to figure out how best seams would lay. Should I sew the center triangles first and then sew on the 4 white corner triangles OR should I sew the white corner triangles on first and then sew all the center triangles together? Please help.

Thanks you bunches,
Sandra

Comments (6)

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

I have no idea of a "right way", but I'm thinking four triangles joined, then four more, then center seam, then add the white corners??? Any way you do it you'll have to twirl the seams at the joint and I'm not sure how that works either.

Sorry! no help at all
    LindaB/CA

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I get that I need to sew 4 center triangles together and then sew the other 4 center triangles together and that gives you 2 center "halves" that you then sew together making up the center circle of triangles. ........ I just have no idea when to sew the 4 white corner triangles on - either first ? or last? cause I am not sure how the seams would lay best...... that I don't want to figure out through trial and error as I would be ripping seams and I hate to rip seams. I hope someone can help me with this ....?? maybe Kate might know since she does all those medallion centers in her quilts?? Help please.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• mary_c_gw
    9 years ago

Sew the triangles in sets of two. Join 2 sets to make a half. Join the 2 halves to make the octagon.

Then mark the center of your white triangle, and mark the center of your octagon triangle. Match those, then sew. I just use a finger pressed crease.

This method will likely correct any seam "wonkiness" you may have. If any seam is off by a bit, you may have a bit more or less of your white triangle points hanging off the edge, but the block should be pretty square.

Good luck! That's one of my favorite blocks.

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Mary, I appreciate your help.

Thank you bunches,
    Sandra

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

I would sew the white triangles on last. I think the seam allowance should press towards the center.

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your help and advice. Yesterday and just now I finished sewing all the center circles together. I just finished sewing the 4 corners on the first circle and it turned out really well, well had to rip seams a couple times, but it's finished and looks good now. Fixing to work on the next 4 blocks sewing the corners on. So thank ya'll bunches for all your help!

Best to you and thanks bunches,
    Sandra

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022