Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Charity quilts

Posted by buteau3rd (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 5, 11 at 13:43

Patterns using 2 1/2" strips seems like a good idea for our group of "snow birds" this year. They can all bring the strips with them. We will be making quilts for a veterans home this year.
Does anyone have any suggestions for easy ones?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Charity quilts

Google "jelly roll quilts" and you can find some ideas for using those strips. Check out the Hugs and Kisses quilt at the link below. I think I'm going to do this one at the retreat.

Here is a link that might be useful: jelly roll patterns

o

This has to be the easier and faster quilt ever!

Here is a link that might be useful: Jelly roll quilt

o

Thank you both..........will check them out.

o

Love the 1600 Jelly Roll quilt. I have a box full of strips and think I will make one tomorrow.

beverly

o

I love the Boxed Stars block and someone posted a photo of quilt they made (see link). Free pattern at Bonnie Hunter website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scrappy Boxed Stars

o
Boxy Stars

My mistake: it's called Boxy Stars. Link to pattern

Here is a link that might be useful: Boxy Stars

o

I have been saving 2&1/2 strips to make another scrappy Irish Chain.

o

I don't know what it's called but a very fast and attractive quilt pattern is to use 2 of the jelly roll strips to make a 4 patch, then surround it by one of the other jelly roll strips. You get 8" squares that you can either use with or without sashing.

I'm making one like that right now with a Moda jelly roll I bought over the weekend; no sashing on mine. In one evening I made 20 blocks! In a couple days, with one jelly roll and a bit of fabric for a border, you could make a good sized sofa quilt or a couple baby quilts.

Here's a picture that might explain it better.

Kate

o
By the way...

BTW, at Joann's today I saw some of their jelly rolls on sale for $6.50 and matching 5-packs of FQs for $5. It's not their premium fabric, but for under $12 you've got a quilt!

Kate

o

I think you could make a nice quilt by strip piecing width of fabric strips arranged by color then cut into squares. You could make various size squares - 10 inches for example and flip them around to make a pattern.

When I have done that I have liked the quilt. Yes, I make lots of charity quilts as they are just fun to make.
Monica

o

DD donated a lot of fabric from her stash.........so I am creating my own jelly rolls. Of course, they not coordinated like a real one, so the quilts will be scrappy.
All these ideas have my brain spinning. For the time being, I will put them in my idea book and wait for return of the quilters....and keep cutting the strips over 100 so far.
I wonder how many strips it takes to make a lap quilt?

o

You can make a good sized quilt - 48"x60" or larger - with one jelly roll and that's 40 strips that are 2.5" x 44". With 100 strips you are ready to go for 2 or 3 quilts!

Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here