Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buteau3rd

Charity quilts

buteau3rd
12 years ago

Patterns using 2 1/2" strips seems like a good idea for our group of "snow birds" this year. They can all bring the strips with them. We will be making quilts for a veterans home this year.

Does anyone have any suggestions for easy ones?

Comments (12)

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Google "jelly roll quilts" and you can find some ideas for using those strips. Check out the Hugs and Kisses quilt at the link below. I think I'm going to do this one at the retreat.

Here is a link that might be useful: jelly roll patterns

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

This has to be the easier and faster quilt ever!

Here is a link that might be useful: Jelly roll quilt

• buteau3rd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you both..........will check them out.

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Love the 1600 Jelly Roll quilt. I have a box full of strips and think I will make one tomorrow.

beverly

• gininmn
    12 years ago

I love the Boxed Stars block and someone posted a photo of quilt they made (see link). Free pattern at Bonnie Hunter website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scrappy Boxed Stars

• gininmn
    12 years ago

My mistake: it's called Boxy Stars. Link to pattern

Here is a link that might be useful: Boxy Stars

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

I have been saving 2&1/2 strips to make another scrappy Irish Chain.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I don't know what it's called but a very fast and attractive quilt pattern is to use 2 of the jelly roll strips to make a 4 patch, then surround it by one of the other jelly roll strips. You get 8" squares that you can either use with or without sashing.

I'm making one like that right now with a Moda jelly roll I bought over the weekend; no sashing on mine. In one evening I made 20 blocks! In a couple days, with one jelly roll and a bit of fabric for a border, you could make a good sized sofa quilt or a couple baby quilts.

Here's a picture that might explain it better.

{{!gwi}}

Kate

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

BTW, at Joann's today I saw some of their jelly rolls on sale for $6.50 and matching 5-packs of FQs for $5. It's not their premium fabric, but for under $12 you've got a quilt!

Kate

• User
    12 years ago

I think you could make a nice quilt by strip piecing width of fabric strips arranged by color then cut into squares. You could make various size squares - 10 inches for example and flip them around to make a pattern.

When I have done that I have liked the quilt. Yes, I make lots of charity quilts as they are just fun to make.
    Monica

• buteau3rd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

DD donated a lot of fabric from her stash.........so I am creating my own jelly rolls. Of course, they not coordinated like a real one, so the quilts will be scrappy.
    All these ideas have my brain spinning. For the time being, I will put them in my idea book and wait for return of the quilters....and keep cutting the strips over 100 so far.
    I wonder how many strips it takes to make a lap quilt?

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

You can make a good sized quilt - 48"x60" or larger - with one jelly roll and that's 40 strips that are 2.5" x 44". With 100 strips you are ready to go for 2 or 3 quilts!

Kate