Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_c_gw

OT whine--Stymied on projects!

mary_c_gw
9 years ago

Dang it! Considerable whining ahead.

For months, I have been looking forward to this time. DH will be gone for a long time, and I was looking forward to uninterrupted sewing time. Projects, both large and small, were planned, supplies purchased, patterns drawn out.

So what do I do? The night before DH was to board a container ship in Houston for a voyage to England - I FALL. Nothing broken, thank goodness, but I wrenched my knee, sprained my ankle, and bruised my hand. I can hobble, but my sewing studio is WAY across the deck in the garage, and nothing to hang onto on the way. I'm also supposed to keep the leg elevated. I should be able to get to the studio next week.

DH was ready to cancel the trip - oh, heck no! This has been a life-long dream for him, and he has business to transact in England. DS was the one taking him to Houston anyway, so me being out of action wasn't a deal breaker. He's on the ship since yesterday, and they will get underway today.

Anyway, if you're still reading, LOL, the 2 small projects are a quilted jewelry roll for future DIL, and an embroidered dice bag for DS. They both have birthdays in October, so still plenty of time for those. I also want to make a runner for our sideboard. And there's the quilt I've been working on all summer...

I guess I can continue to play around with my patterns for the jewelry roll. Sigh.

Comments (15)

• nannykins
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh, too bad. There must be a bright light in there somewhere . Keep looking.
    Meanwhile rest that leg.
    Theresa

• loisflan
    9 years ago

What a bummer, Mary. I'm so sorry. Rest for a bit, and then hopefully you'll be back in the game soon.

You have me fascinated by your husband's trip. A container ship? A life-long dream? What's he up to? Inquiring minds want to know.

I do find it funny that we wives look forward to our husband's trips as much as we do. I wonder if they feel the same about us?

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Oh Mary I'm so sorry. I understand how something like this can mess up your plans. Heal fast! Get a cane so you can hobble with security!

Kate

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lois,

My DH is a bit of an odd chap, LOL. He loves the ocean, he loves ships, but the thought of going on a commercial cruise with other passengers having fun is out of the question for him.

So he's on a container ship, the Buxcoast. It's larger than an aircraft carrier, has a deck crew of 20, and an officer crew of 15. There are 5 staterooms for passengers. His is about 8 stories up from the deck, and he's quite relieved that there's an elevator.

The itinerary is complicated, and subject to change, but the ship will stop in New Orleans, several ports on the east coast, the Bahamas, a few places in Europe, and DH will disembark in Felixstowe, England.

As to why I'm not going - 4 weeks on a container ship. Rare internet service. No point in getting off in ports - there isn't anything touristy near them, just a lot working ports with large cranes. Nope, not for me. Perfect for the DH.

DH will see his last relative in England, a niece. He also has some financial business to take care of. But his main reason is to make his "final arrangements". He wishes to be buried in the church cemetery in Commondale, close to where he was raised.

Kind of a grim trip purpose, but he's not in any danger of dying soon, LOL, so better to get it done while relatively healthy.

If you scroll down on the link, there's a photo of the ship.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buxcoast

• loisflan
    9 years ago

That is really fascinating. I had no idea that working vessels like the Buxcoast had passenger accomodations. She's quite the ship.

I'm glad he's taking care of his "final arrangements," so you won't have to. I imagine that it could be quite complicated arranging things overseas, especially in a time of grief.

Enjoy your solitute, even if you're limping around.

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Mary, I'm so sorry about your fall...take care and you will heal before you know it.
    Thanks for sharing about your DH's journey, fascinating! But like other woman, I'm happy when I have the home to myself for a day or so...with me DH works out of the house, sooo he is always here...weekend golfing is encouraged.. ;-). IJS

V.

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

You have my sympathy. Even before I read the rest, you had it. You're a real trooper to stay home alone in pain.

The trip sounds amazing for your husband. Like you, not so interesting for me just being there without a sewing machine:-)

My husband and I bought our "final resting" plots when my Mom died. She had the good thought to make all her own arrangements in advance and we really appreciated it, so we're carrying it on for our children.

Hope he's able to get lots of trip dialog back to you so you can share the trip.
    Hope too that you mend quickly or get a walker to get to your sewing room!
    LindaB/CA

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

Very cool idea for a trip!

Sorry you're gimping around. Instead of trying to get to and from your sewing room, why not bring a few things into the house? Maybe you have someone who could carry stuff into the dining room for you??

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Mary, I hope you feel better soon! And that your DH enjoys his trip - that sounds like too much of an adventure for me! I'll take a boring old cruise ship any day. :)
    Donna

• calliope
    9 years ago

I've crossed the pond four times in clunky ships, and loved it way back when ship travel was primarily 'to get you there' and not some cruise ship. I love ship travel and would ride a ship like that in a heartbeat. Just so I had a cot and a loo and grub. Heal.

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

"... a cot and a loo and grub." Sounds perfect! Jim and I have toyed with the idea of container ship travel to New Zealand. Takes a long time so we'll wait til we're retired, but I think it will happen someday!

Kate

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, he does have "a cot, a loo, and grub", LOL. The stateroom, although small, is quite comfy, with a head, and he eats with the officers. He's evidently made friends with the head cook.

He called today to tell me the wonders of piloting that enormous ship up the Mississippi River in New Orleans. Unloading, loading, and they'll be on the way to Mobile, Alabama sometime tonight.

They actually let him on the bridge at 3:00 am this morning to watch the river pilot come aboard and get the ship miles up the river and into the dock. He said at the end the ship was moving only sideways towards the dock at a speed of less than two inches per minute. In one of his childhood sayings - "No wrecks, nobody drownded, nothing to laugh at a'tall".

As for me - much less stiff today, although I'm walking very carefully. I remember limping badly in the past, and it's so easy to cause pain in other joints when that happens.

I'm going out to the studio tomorrow, at least for a little while!

• bev2009
    9 years ago

Mary, please run to the health food store and get some Arnica. It is a homeopathic remedy. You take the pellets under your tongue and there is both a spray and a rub on for the sore spots. YOu will not believe how in a couple of days you will be sooooo much better. I always travel with it and could write a book with all my falls, sprains, breaks while traveling. Arnica keeps me going and the vacation is not ruined! Here's a little story i had sent to relatives about my recent vacation to our local state park. Hopefully, it will encourage you to get the Arnica....

Episode 1

Bruce and I went to Potato Creek State Park for a week. We were there just 1 1/2 hours, I had everything unpacked and was ready to relax when I stumbled over the threshold that was between the living room and bedroom. I grabbed hold of a roll away bed and knocked it into the twin bed...stumbled for another six feet and finally fell on my left side...but not before tucking in my arms so I wouldn't break my arm again. Bruised on the right leg, left knee swollen, left elbow bright red for a few days and general pain from below the shoulder to the tips of the toes on the left side. Fortunately, I always bring my arnica. I had trouble walking in the middle of the night and was concerned, but by morning and several doses of arnica, I was limping just fine. I had planned on a quiet vacation with lots of reading, so I wasn't upset. The arnica worked so well, I decided to join Bruce and Melissa (who arrived at the cabin on Wednesday) to a bike ride on Thursday. Just a little twinge in the left knee from the fall remained (besides the bruising).

Episode 2
    I haven't ridden a bike in about 30 years, so I was wobbling a little each time I had to start it up again. And the rental bikes did not have hand breaks and back peddling took about 20 feet to slow down each time. The trail was hilly and curvy but we were having a great time. We had done 5 of the six miles when Melissa and I had to walk the bikes up another hill. When we got to the top, she was on my right instead of in front of me when we started up. I started wobbling and didn't want to wobble into her so I aimed to the left side of the path. As I am wobbling trying to get going, I kept veering left to the edge of the cliff (ravine? don't know what to call it). Melissa starts yelling "What are you doing?" I just don't multi-task well anymore. I'm looking at the 6" of grass at the edge of the asphalt thinking, I don't want to hit that grass, but I didn't want to turn into Melissa. By this time, I am ahead of her anyway, but I didn't think about that. Never dawned on me to try and brake or just hop down and put my feet on the ground, I just kept trying to stop the wobbling and get going. Needless to say, I hit the grass and started down the 6' drop....saw the log and trees in front of me and wondered what would happen when I hit the log....would I fly over the handlebars. I fortunately turned the wheel a little to the right just before I hit the log. I don't remember the fall. My bike did not go over the log...but somehow I did. I missed all the trees and the bolder partly imbedded in the forest floor. I was on my left side (again). Bruce and Melissa came running, of course, to help me up. I said I was OK and Bruce said he was going to take a picture....I said, go ahead, but he felt bad and didn't. He was going to help me up, but since I have a hard time getting up from the floor I had to get to my knees first. So I rolled over in the dirt and leaves onto my stomach, but my foot was lodged in between some small trees so I had to do the army crawl for about a foot to clear the trees. Got on my knees and Bruce helped me up. I was able to finish the last mile....drop the bikes off....walk back to the cabin and start on the ice and arnica again. We laughed all evening, but the laughing really hurt my side. It was still slightly sore for a few days, but I am so thankful that I didn't get hurt much worse.

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Beverly, I've not heard of Arnica, but after reading your adventures, shall we say, I plan to investigate to keep in my travel bag.

Mary...do be careful and if you are in an area where you can get the neighborhood kids to do some of your errands...that's the way to go. If not...hobble very carefully!
    V.

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Oh Mary! I hope you are getting better every day.

We dodge those container ships in the Bay, making their way to or from the Port ...... and they are BIG! They move slow, but OMG are they HUGE! I am sure your hubby is having the time of his life! So happy he is fulfilling his dream. Not many of us can say that.

What are you working on these days?

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company