Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

the 'Official' Retreat 2012 sign-up

jennifer_in_va
11 years ago

Here is the "Official" Retreat sign-up.

Retreat 2012 will be held Oct. 4-7 at Camp Cheerio in North Carolina.

The cost of retreat will be approximately $225 and includes all meals (Thurs dinner through Sun lunch), a place to rest your head when you're not sewing, and our quilting space. You also have opportunity to use the camp's activities like rock climbing, walking trails, etc. if you see fit to do so.

The deadline for sign-ups will be August 15th. A deposit of $40 per person is due to me no later than August 30th. If you need my mailing information, please email me. Final payment will be made in the form of cash or check to me on Sunday at camp. (I don't like to collect it earlier because I don't want to admit that camp is over any earlier than it has to be!)

Additional posts/emails will be put out to cover all the plans, activities, packing lists, etc.

If anyone doesn't see their name on the list, or would like to sign up, please post here!

Here's the current list...

1 Jennifer /Jennifer_in_va

2 Beverly/grammyp & Tim

3 Linda/toolgranny

4 Trish/mrs.santaclaus

5 Sharon/geezerfolks

6 Kate/k8orlando

7 Kristene/tinyteena

8 Cindy/quiltpartner & Jim

9 Teresa /Teresa_nc

10 Marsha/magothyrivergirl

11 Rosa/rosajoe

12 Faye/faytay

13 Jackie/jackier123

14 Jeanne/sandlapper rose

15 Carol/tulipserenity

16 Sue/polardream

17 Robbi/lafonda_ranch

18 Marge/buteau3rd & Rip

19 Valarie/littlehelen

Comments (112)

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Oh I wish I could sew anytime at home! I feel like I steal my time in an hour here and an hour there. The thought of having a whole weekend to sew... without dogs to walk, cats to feed, house to clean, laundry to do... well, its almost hard to imagine!!!

I bought this owl batik at the quilt show this weekend! I added the text for us Sewing Night Owls!

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's a Hoot!!! lol

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

I'm not as late an owl as I used to be. I have been known to get a second wind when it comes to sewing, though!!

BTW, I was just looking at the 10 day forecast for Glade Valley, NC and we are 1 day from being in the range!! The temperatures leading up to our weekend are pretty chilly as of now. Highs in the low to mid 60's and lows in the upper 40's. Great sewing weather!!

Robbi

• grammyp
    11 years ago

I am usually an owl, but when Tim comes with me I don't work as late as I do when I come alone. Midnight is about it for me.

beverly

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    11 years ago

In case ya'll didn't realize it...

ONLY 7 MORE DAYS 'TIL CAMP!!!!!!!!!!

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

I have a countdown clock on my computer desktop!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Clay is helping to get my 'secret' together....heh heh heh
    I bought new slippers so nobody would be saying, "EWWWWW"
    I'm getting more realistic about sewing projects to take.
    Need to find/buy Diet Cheerwine.....no sodium, no carbs, no aspartame.

And the countdown continues.......

SharonG/FL

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OOOOhhh, just remembered I need ingredients for my food treat! Have a new recipe I want to try on you guys!

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Good thing I froze a bunch of the bananas from the last harvest because I don't have any ready on the stalks right now. Jim says I have to make enough banana bread to leave a couple loaves at home for him too.

He's interested to hear about the nearby camping because he's already talking about making it a camping/quilting/golfing weekend next year. (Val, we can leave the guys at the campground while we do our night owl quilting in the comfort of the lodge!)

Kate

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

I am so looking forward to the retreat!!!

I have fininshed the blood drive and newspaper 'thanks for coming' articles so now I can focus on ME and the retreat!!!!!
    Rosa

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

I'm so jealous... you ladies are going to have so much fun. I can't wait to see pictures and hear stories!

• polardream
    11 years ago

This weekend is Women of Faith in Denver - just got home from book club so I need to pack for that since I work Bingo for Lions club until 3pm, then leave at 3:30. DS is moving back to town tomorrow & he & his DGF are coming for dinner Sunday. Monday night we are starting a new quilting group at church & I am teaching the first class... Tuesday pack for camp, 4:30 a.m. shuttle to the airport Wednesday ... I will be lucky to get to the store to pick up red licorice to pack for treats!!! I do have most of my sewing stuff lined up. Think I will sleep on the plane! Six more days ...

• sunnycentralfl
    11 years ago

You ALL have a wonderful time...I know you will!

I'll be missing all the fun and remembering the past ones!

I will be following the antics...and there will be antics!...lol

It will all be in good fun!

Sew till your hearts are content!
    Gwen

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Toolgranny...you and I may be the early to bed, early to rise, cause by 10ish at night, I'm not to spry!

Kate: I just bought the SAME OWL fabric...also got it in a darker shade as well... great taste!:) Like the camping idea and drop the boys off at the links..there's a plan!

Reading through everyone's post...feel like I must be missing something...I better re-read instructions/ directions..etc.

Looking forward to it!!
    V.

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

I am getting so excited!! So many things to pack up and get ready :-) I'm glad there will be plenty there because I know I will forget something; I always do.

Robbi

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

You have the same owl fabric!?! Amazing!!! What are we going to make with it? I'm thinking of covering a small cigar box and keeping sewing notions in it. It's so pretty I want it on display. Oops, I think I just added another project to my never ending list! Now I need some Modge Podge (is that the name of it?).

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Well, I'm getting projects together and trying to make it all fit. I may have to buy a bigger carry on. I already bought a bigger "purse".

We are taking a side tour Thursday morning on the way to camp, and shopping. So, I must plan for expansion. Or, maybe just packing materials to have it sent home ahead of me. Hmmmm.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

It will be fun to see what you all buy on the way to camp! I don't think we're going to get there early enough to shop so we'll just have to enjoy your purchases with you.

Kate

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Some of my owl fabric is going in a window pane design for a wall hanging. Not for me, but if I love how the design turns out, I will need to make another.
    I've come down w/ head cold/ touchy flu symptoms on Thursday...so I'm in recovery mode all weekend! Nite nite everyone...see ya Thursday,
    V.

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

I'm so jealous of you all. My favorite kind of place, the mountains. I have relatives in Gastonia and many more in WV. This is a wonderful time to be up there, but even if I did go, I would probably be running up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway instead of quilting. There is an apple orchard off the parkway in NC that is so wonderful, so many kinds of apples and home-made apple strudel to die for. Hope the leaves are starting to turn for you, although it's still maybe a little early. Have fun.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rita~ It's kind of hard to 'hide in the mountains' when it's home! lol

DH was down through there (and beyond) last weekend and said there's a little color in the trees. We've had a spell now of about 2 weeks where it's gotten quite chilly at night. So I'm hoping that that will give us more color by next week. Last year trees were just beginning to change.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Packing, sorting, re-packing, sewing (a little), and more sorting! Next year I'll be better at knowing what to bring.

I decided it would be good to bring along a simple hand sewing project so I'm trying to get the quilting done on the Diamond Snow quilt. Then I can bring that to hand sew the binding on.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

I'm doing the same thing, Kate. And, I'm thinking I'll do more visiting and wandering around than actual sewing. Like TG/Linda said, "I can sew at home." Still lacking energy, but today I was able to almost finish a 9 1/2" block I had kitted, so it's getting better.

SharonG/FL

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have a mountain of stuff pulled out, but I haven't yet started packing. I'm trying to get binding done on 2 quilts so I can say I have a 'clean slate' in order to start new projects at camp.

I think I have all my projects packed, so it's finishing up these, then packing. I hate to pack too early though, because then I can't piddle around over the next few days just in case I have time!! lol

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Another jealous member here!
    I have been to 2 retreats with my sister's group. Lots of fun, lots of sewing and lots of good people.
    I hope the weather is good for you and all the travelers arrive there and back home safely.
    ENJOY!!!!
    Theresa

• cindykg23
    11 years ago

Well, Kristene just went to bed, but I've not been able to get my brain shut off enough to sleep yet. I hate nights like that - tired, but not sleepy! So browsing thro seeing what y'all are bringing & admitting to self - & now to all - that I haven't packed a thing. Haven't decided what to bring to work on, or what for show & tell. I DO know that we're coming lol - & when we're leaving. Other than that...Kristene will be ready, Cindy may not be! Tomorrow she will probably help me make some of those important decisions :)
    I will give last yrs' campers a laugh - I'm bringing along a finished project that includes something from the dumpster!! Don't remember whos' fabric it was, but it just fit with what I was doing. Hope the previous owner is at camp this year, I'll thank her again!
    That may be an idea --- round up some other 'dumpster diving finds' & work on those!! lol

See y'all soon!

~Cindy

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

I can't decide what to bring, so I'm bringing it all!! Some of it may not leave the car, but at least I won't feel like I left something behind. I did get most of the cutting done on the quilt for my dd that I want to work on. I hope I get a chance to get it quilted, too. I may need to stop by the fabric store on the way out of town on Thursday to get some more accent fabric to may some pillow cases.

Rita, we went by an apple orchard last weekend and I picked up 2 bushels of apples. I cooked apples all weekend! I've never had mustu apples. They are awesome!!

I also just looked at the weather. It looks perfect :-)

Robbi

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Ahhhhhhhh Cindy! I want some of those scraps for a Bonnie Hunter quilt I'm working on - I was warned there was a Camper I would have to 'fight' to get the scraps out of the trash ~ ~ ~ its YOU!!!! :~)

I am excited to meet Kristene! Glad she made it to your place safely.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Reading everyone's post has me smiling instead of doing serious strategic business planning blather, blather, blather. It lunch break time! I over packed on projects and have yet to pack an article of clothing...I've also packed an item or two I'm hoping for opinions from the more expereinced quilters. Kinda like Robbi...some stuff may not leave the car, but at least it will be there if needed. This is going to be fun...see you all soon...

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

I just visited the Mary Jo site... they have Bali Pops for $25. My local quilt shop sells them for $37.

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Oh, Kate, there is so much more. The backings for 12.99 are wonderful, even batiks. They're stored under one of the cutting tables so ask if you don't find them.

I think I have all my projects ready now. I will throw in a couple of items of clothing just to stay clean but - warning all of you - I'm not trying to keep up with the fashions. I won't waste precious suitcase space on extra shoes when I can fit in more fabric. I'll take a brush and try and keep my hair combed and that's about all. This is called camping!

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Linda,
    Would you at least throw in a deodorant? or would you like me to bring you one?!?

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Linda, If you're going to keep your hair neat, I'll have to wear a hat and keep mine covered!

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Less shoes, more fabric!
    Less shoes, more fabric!
    Less shoes, more fabric!

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

OK Jen. I'll bring deodorant, too. And, since we have Jim, Rip and Tim, I'll even wear a bra!

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

LOL...the b word, hate em, gotta have em, but hate em!

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Ummm, speaking as one who may end up riding in the same car with you, Linda, a travel size deodorant will be appreciated. Extra shoes and hairbrush are optional - but a comb is thinner than a brush. LOL! ;o)

T.

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

I can't seem to work my machine with shoes on, so I will probably only use them to get between buildings, LOL!! I am glad to hear this is camping style! My favorite way to quilt.

Robbi

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

I'm a barefoot quilter too. I love to buy shoes but I'm not that crazy about wearing them. :~))

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I bring a pair of slippers to wear while sewing and moving around our space. Then toss on shoes to walk to meals.

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Last year I only had one pair of slip on - no back loafers type leather shoes (easy airport shoes). My feet and shoes got wet from the dew - not a big deal to sew, as I also sew without shoes- but the the floor in the Sloan Center got kinda messy from our shoes.
    I'm bringing another pair to use to walk outside to avoid this. I still need easy slip on for the airport.

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

That's a good idea Marsha! I plan to wear flip flops and bring my tennis shoes. I am bringing socks to wear inside.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

May I hitch a ride to the dining room with someone?

SharonG/FL

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Are you asking for a piggyback ride, Sharon??

Maybe Tim & Jim could rig up a pharoah's chair?

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

I could bring Scout and a pull cart!

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

Do we need to bring serving pieces and plates for our goodie table?

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

No serving pieces or plates are needed, but a silver candelabra would be a nice touch. ;o)

Seriously, a plastic knife or two for cutting or spreading would be helpful if you are bringing something that needs cutting or spreading.

Teresa

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've got some paper plates, napkins and some plastic silverware.

We can always pull some silverware from the dining hall, if need be.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

No piggyback rides, please....Pharoah's chair? What a visual!! LOLOLOL I'll take Scout and the cart!

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

He's ready for you!