Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
the 'Official' Retreat 2012 sign-up

Posted by jennifer_in_va (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 13:00

Here is the "Official" Retreat sign-up.

Retreat 2012 will be held Oct. 4-7 at Camp Cheerio in North Carolina.

The cost of retreat will be approximately $225 and includes all meals (Thurs dinner through Sun lunch), a place to rest your head when you're not sewing, and our quilting space. You also have opportunity to use the camp's activities like rock climbing, walking trails, etc. if you see fit to do so.

The deadline for sign-ups will be August 15th. A deposit of $40 per person is due to me no later than August 30th. If you need my mailing information, please email me. Final payment will be made in the form of cash or check to me on Sunday at camp. (I don't like to collect it earlier because I don't want to admit that camp is over any earlier than it has to be!)

Additional posts/emails will be put out to cover all the plans, activities, packing lists, etc.

If anyone doesn't see their name on the list, or would like to sign up, please post here!

Here's the current list...

1 Jennifer /Jennifer_in_va
2 Beverly/grammyp & Tim
3 Linda/toolgranny
4 Trish/mrs.santaclaus
5 Sharon/geezerfolks
6 Kate/k8orlando
7 Kristene/tinyteena
8 Cindy/quiltpartner & Jim
9 Teresa /Teresa_nc
10 Marsha/magothyrivergirl
11 Rosa/rosajoe
12 Faye/faytay
13 Jackie/jackier123
14 Jeanne/sandlapper rose
15 Carol/tulipserenity
16 Sue/polardream
17 Robbi/lafonda_ranch
18 Marge/buteau3rd & Rip
19 Valarie/littlehelen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: the 'Official' Retreat 2012 sign-up

Jennifer, please e-mail me your address and the check is in the mail lol!!!

Thank you so much for coordinating our retreat!!
Rosa

o

Last call ~ Anyone flying into Charlotte???? Going once...going twice....just kidding :) But I am ready to pull the trigger on my plans.

o

Getting your check in the mail. I'm excited.

beverly

o
RE: **the 'Official' Retreat 2012 sign-up

What time is 'check out' on Sunday for the Sloan Center?
Do we have it for the afternoon?

Thanks for posting the list/ Official Sign-up list.

Lots to do - so little time :)

o

I received your email and I am so excited the check will be in the mail tomorrow!!!!!!!!!

TWO MORE MONTHS LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rosa

o

Marsha

Officially, we have Sloan Center (our sewing space) up till the next meal.

As you know, we usually do a brown bag lunch on Sunday with sandwiches, chips, fruit that we can eat at our leisure (Some take it on the road, some eat before leaving). The counselors have the afternoon off, so things at camp quiet down considerably, but we are permitted to stay for the afternoon if we can/wish.

o

Jennifer, please email me your address. You can send it to jgrrobinson@att.net

Thanks,

Jackie

o

I can feel the excitement! Check will be in the mail by Mon.!

o

Sign me up, please :-) I will need your address, too.

Thanks,
Robbi

o

Hi everyone! I'm excited that camp is almost here and I will finally get to meet so many of you this year. It's 8 weeks today before I fly out. Still have to sort out what I will make at camp - so many UFOs to choose from!

Am including a photo so you can recognise me. It was taken in January at our "100th Birthday Party" - I turned 60 and my daughter, Kelly, turned 40.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all
Kristene

o

Carol and I plan to be there! She called me this evening to say she saw the message about getting our checks mailed. Glad she was keeping a careful watch. I had cataract surgery a few weeks ago and am still struggling to get my eye well so I have not been reading the board like I usually do.
Love the picture, Kristene! It will be great to see all of you.
Jeanne

o

The check is in the mail!

kate

o

It's getting closer...!!! Writing my check as soon as I get off the computer :) lol

Kristene, after talking to you yesterday, Jim started teasing me & then I really began to feel guilty. So guess what I did today?? Yep! I actually sewed!! (Had to re-introduce myself to my machine, but she'll get over it - poor thing was so neglected & lonely;) I started a new baby quilt:) Woot! Woot!

o

Jennifer, we are traveling and will be back to Colorado around August 24, but if you email me your address, I can mail a check when I get to Phoenix on the 15th. I am excited - already have my plane ticket!

Sue

o

I received deposits from Linda & Valarie yesterday! thanks

o

Mine is on the way!
Jeanne

o

Received deposits today from

Kate
Jackie
Jeanne
Rosa (Thanks for the adorable dish towel!!)

THanks!

o

You are welcome!!! Thanks for all of the work you put into making the retreat so much fun!
Rosa

o

To get caught up on the received list, I have now received from:

Carol
Kate
Jackie
Jeanne
Rosa
Valarie
Linda

Thanks!

o

Teresa, got yours this weekend.!

o

Hope there is still room......check in the mail..Marge

o

Marge~ There is still plenty of room! I'll let you know when it gets here.

Bev~Got yours today. Thanks

o

Robbi, got your check. thnx

o

Jennifer, I am home and mailing my check tomorrow.
Sue

o

Hey Y'all. Looks like work is going to ruin my plans, yet again. (I've already been in contact with Jenn). So I'm really sorry to have taken all your charm squares last year and then not returned to give some back. ;)

After spending the last 2 days last year with a migrane, I was really looking forward to this year and getting some major stitching done. I know you guys will have a blast, and I'll be jealously lurking for updates. Looking ahead to 2013...

Cheers!
Faye

o

I will miss you! Migraine - oh no! But you Won all those charms!! We will be thinking of you!
See ya in '13.

o

Marge & Marsha~ got your checks today...

o

Cindy & Sue~ Got your deposits! thanks

o

Faye, you will be missed.

beverly

o

We're so close!!!

o

My party starts in 17 days! wooooohoooooo

SharonG/FL

o

Your room is ready, Sharon, and this weekend we bought a bigger vehicle so you can bring as much stuff as you want! LOL!

o

17 days !!!>>>>????/ ACKKK!!!

Kate, nice of you to buy a bigger vehicle just for Sharon!! Guess you won't be leaving her on the side of the road!

o

That's right! Three quilting divas and all our fabric, machines, notions, etc... We'll leave the CR-V home and make the trip in the Expedition. More important than size, the air conditioning works better!

o

HoooBoy, more stuff and working A/C!!! I'll get out another suitcase! It's important for quilters to have everything they need when going to retreat!

Jen, I guess I won't have to call you to come and pick me up at the side of the road now. lol

SharonG/FL

o

17 Days??? Yikes ... I am really anxious ...

Teresa & Linda, I made my hotel reservation so I will see you both in Greensboro.

All of this prep getting ready made me start cleaning my sewing room ... and we all know that things usually get worse before they get better - right? Well, my is close to the disaster zone! Hope I can dig myself out by Oct. 3 so I don't miss my flight.

Sue

o

I am in the stage of "I think I need to bring everything with me..." My little car will be full. LOL

Jackie

o

I think about this trip constantly but haven't managed to do more than finish the little gifts. I set out a roller bag for sewing stuff, but so far all that's in there are two chocolate bars and several spools of thread! Well, it's a start.

o

Only 'one' roller bag, Kate? You know you have room for more! I've even dug out some sweatpants since I've been following the temps.

SharonG/FL

o

OH WOW, this sounds like so much fun, so cool to meet people you actually talk to and interact with!
Maybe next year I can join too. I haven't been on a retreat since I was like 12 lol.
I am sure I could learn so much from all of you!

POST PICS!!! LOTS and LOTS of pics!

Oh yeah, Sharon is right y'all might want to bring some sweats and some sweaters. Our weather has been getting pretty chilly at night!
I am not too too far from Charlotte as a matter of fact it is pretty cool an rainy today! An our first frost date is like Oct. 15 so come prepared for cool weather.

I am sure y'all are gonna have a blast.

Now I have to go look up this place, I have never heard of it!

:) Aqua

o

I keep changing my mind on what to work on......finish up 4 BOM blocks, start a bamboo sashiko (which I've never done.....is it better to use the special thread?), play with plaid maverick stars, sew 1 1/2 inch black strips around Chinese Coins, sew 2 inch white strips around crumb blocks, take 2 1/2 inch squares for a Chiclet blocks.....and the list goes on. Right now, just looking at this list, the maverick stars will stay home and probably the crumbs. I really want to see what the Chinese Coins will look like on the turquoise background I have for it, so that might be my main goal. @:)

SharonG/FL

o

Kate said she got a new, bigger car...

So my answer to your 'What do I bring?' is "YES"... 'nough said

o

I get bored ~ so my advice ~ bring it all ~lololol
It also helps me to switch gears and sew on different colors and threads.
You have unlimited room in Kate's new 'Mother Ship'
I bet you ladies can fill it with lots of projects!

o

Tell you what...

Since it's so hard to decide, you bring nothing!! I'll supply you with all my projects to work on for the weekend!! That way, I'll get so much more accomplished and you won't have to make a decision... Win/Win situation!

o

I'm bringing things that I need some opinions on. I figure you guys are the experts and can help me with my decisions! I'm very excited about that!!

I'm also going to bring the embroidery arm for my machine. I won't be able to bring all my thread, but can bring some specific colors if anyone has something they'd like to stitch out. My machine uses a .pes file and it can be on a thumb drive.

Robbi

o

Sharon,
I like using the special thread for sashiko - it's thick enough and "plain" which suits the original use of sashiko, to quilt thick clothing to keep warm in the mountains of Japan.

Teresa

o
RE: jennifer-in-va's post just above

You might have meant it facetiously (or maybe not?) but what an interesting idea. I think it would be fun to do a project swap (a small project because I'm very slow) at a retreat. Another fun surprise for owner/starter of the project (who supplies pattern, all materials, all cut out or even construction started) and person who works on it. I guess it would be like the round robins done here but only two people involved and short-term gratification.

o

Jennifer, Not in your wildest dreams! None of your projects are mindless, and that's all I'm sewing right now. lol

Kate's new vehicle will be put to the test for quilt retreats. I'm sure she had all of that in mind when she was scouting out what was available.

Thank you, Teresa. I doubt there's any around here but will check the flea market on Saturday. There's a small shop with embroidery supplies there and they might have it. Hopefully they would have a large eye needle, too.

gin, I do happen to have my BOM blocks in 'kit' format so will see what happens. @:)

SharonG/FL

o

Sounds like Kate's car will be filled to capacity...don't forget to pack Kate...she's my roomate :-) !!!
Looking forward to meeting everyone.
V.

o

No worries, I'll make sure Ms Kate is at the wheel when we leave. @:) My grandson is taking me over the night before so we can get an early start Thursday AM. She'll be driving and I'll just lay the seat back down and continue to get my beauty sleep. heehee

SharonG/FL

o

Tell you what...

Since it's so hard to decide, you bring nothing!! I'll supply you with all my projects to work on for the weekend!! That way, I'll get so much more accomplished and you won't have to make a decision... Win/Win situation!

o

I am so far behind! Looks like I will be putting binding on the race quilts at camp. But that is ok, I will still have time for other projects.

beverly

o

There is plenty of time at camp! I fully intend to see the weee hours of every morning!! lol

o

Sorry Jennifer. It isn't going to happen. LOLOLOL

For some reason this nursery rhyme came to mind:

Curly Locks! curly locks! wilt thou be mine?
Thou shall't not wash dishes, nor yet feed the swine,
But sit on a cushion and sew a fine seam,
And feed upon strawberries, sugar, and cream!
SharonG/FL

o

We are rocking quilters......Jenn and I closed down the Sloan Center in those wee hours every single morning.....and Baby (who slept sweetly).......anyone else ready to see the sunrise??????

o

Sharon,
I think I found the wrong man!! I want the one your nursery rhyme talks about!!

o

Marsha, I will be trying to hang in there again this year .. it was close for me last year! I have been trying to put all my projects into ziplock bags so I know I have all the parts and pieces. It is amazing how small they can be once you cut them - which is good when you are flying! May even have room for some "shopping" space if we find a quilt shop along the way!
Sue

o

I doubt that I'll be one of the late nighters, but more power to those that can sew til all hours.

I came across a bag my SIL and her friend gave me a few years ago from cleaning out the sewing room of one of their friends who had passed. Since I have no sentimental attachment to any of it, it's all up for grabs. The GFG still has pins in it so be careful. (I'm not bringing it back home!)

SharonG/FL

o

I'm hoping to be one of the late nighters (or is that early morningers?). But Saturday night someone needs to send me to bed before midnight so I can drive the next day!

Kate

o

Yeah!!! Another Owl!

The only real problem with staying up like an owl is that we cannot adjust the time breakfast is served :( Oh, well...

There's always later for sleeping. I fully intend to use as much time for sewing as I possibly can!

o

Sue~you did stay up sewing late - I think the difference in time and jet lag caught up with you last year! The first night in the hotel, you and Linda were wide awake and it was past my bedtime :)

I can't wait to get to Camp!

o

I can sew at home. So, I save my time for socializing and partying! But, I poop out early. Must be my age. I'm a year older than I was last year, you know.

o

Oh I wish I could sew anytime at home! I feel like I steal my time in an hour here and an hour there. The thought of having a whole weekend to sew... without dogs to walk, cats to feed, house to clean, laundry to do... well, its almost hard to imagine!!!

I bought this owl batik at the quilt show this weekend! I added the text for us Sewing Night Owls!

o

That's a Hoot!!! lol

o

I'm not as late an owl as I used to be. I have been known to get a second wind when it comes to sewing, though!!

BTW, I was just looking at the 10 day forecast for Glade Valley, NC and we are 1 day from being in the range!! The temperatures leading up to our weekend are pretty chilly as of now. Highs in the low to mid 60's and lows in the upper 40's. Great sewing weather!!

Robbi

o

I am usually an owl, but when Tim comes with me I don't work as late as I do when I come alone. Midnight is about it for me.

beverly

o

In case ya'll didn't realize it...

ONLY 7 MORE DAYS 'TIL CAMP!!!!!!!!!!

o

I have a countdown clock on my computer desktop!

o

Clay is helping to get my 'secret' together....heh heh heh
I bought new slippers so nobody would be saying, "EWWWWW"
I'm getting more realistic about sewing projects to take.
Need to find/buy Diet Cheerwine.....no sodium, no carbs, no aspartame.

And the countdown continues.......

SharonG/FL

o

OOOOhhh, just remembered I need ingredients for my food treat! Have a new recipe I want to try on you guys!

o

Good thing I froze a bunch of the bananas from the last harvest because I don't have any ready on the stalks right now. Jim says I have to make enough banana bread to leave a couple loaves at home for him too.

He's interested to hear about the nearby camping because he's already talking about making it a camping/quilting/golfing weekend next year. (Val, we can leave the guys at the campground while we do our night owl quilting in the comfort of the lodge!)

Kate

o

I am so looking forward to the retreat!!!

I have fininshed the blood drive and newspaper 'thanks for coming' articles so now I can focus on ME and the retreat!!!!!
Rosa

o

I'm so jealous... you ladies are going to have so much fun. I can't wait to see pictures and hear stories!

o

This weekend is Women of Faith in Denver - just got home from book club so I need to pack for that since I work Bingo for Lions club until 3pm, then leave at 3:30. DS is moving back to town tomorrow & he & his DGF are coming for dinner Sunday. Monday night we are starting a new quilting group at church & I am teaching the first class... Tuesday pack for camp, 4:30 a.m. shuttle to the airport Wednesday ... I will be lucky to get to the store to pick up red licorice to pack for treats!!! I do have most of my sewing stuff lined up. Think I will sleep on the plane! Six more days ...

o

You ALL have a wonderful time...I know you will!

I'll be missing all the fun and remembering the past ones!

I will be following the antics...and there will be antics!...lol

It will all be in good fun!

Sew till your hearts are content!
Gwen

o

Toolgranny...you and I may be the early to bed, early to rise, cause by 10ish at night, I'm not to spry!

Kate: I just bought the SAME OWL fabric...also got it in a darker shade as well... great taste!:) Like the camping idea and drop the boys off at the links..there's a plan!

Reading through everyone's post...feel like I must be missing something...I better re-read instructions/ directions..etc.

Looking forward to it!!
V.

o

I am getting so excited!! So many things to pack up and get ready :-) I'm glad there will be plenty there because I know I will forget something; I always do.

Robbi

o

You have the same owl fabric!?! Amazing!!! What are we going to make with it? I'm thinking of covering a small cigar box and keeping sewing notions in it. It's so pretty I want it on display. Oops, I think I just added another project to my never ending list! Now I need some Modge Podge (is that the name of it?).

o

Well, I'm getting projects together and trying to make it all fit. I may have to buy a bigger carry on. I already bought a bigger "purse".

We are taking a side tour Thursday morning on the way to camp, and shopping. So, I must plan for expansion. Or, maybe just packing materials to have it sent home ahead of me. Hmmmm.

o

It will be fun to see what you all buy on the way to camp! I don't think we're going to get there early enough to shop so we'll just have to enjoy your purchases with you.

Kate

o

Some of my owl fabric is going in a window pane design for a wall hanging. Not for me, but if I love how the design turns out, I will need to make another.
I've come down w/ head cold/ touchy flu symptoms on Thursday...so I'm in recovery mode all weekend! Nite nite everyone...see ya Thursday,
V.

o

I'm so jealous of you all. My favorite kind of place, the mountains. I have relatives in Gastonia and many more in WV. This is a wonderful time to be up there, but even if I did go, I would probably be running up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway instead of quilting. There is an apple orchard off the parkway in NC that is so wonderful, so many kinds of apples and home-made apple strudel to die for. Hope the leaves are starting to turn for you, although it's still maybe a little early. Have fun.

o

Rita~ It's kind of hard to 'hide in the mountains' when it's home! lol

DH was down through there (and beyond) last weekend and said there's a little color in the trees. We've had a spell now of about 2 weeks where it's gotten quite chilly at night. So I'm hoping that that will give us more color by next week. Last year trees were just beginning to change.

o

Packing, sorting, re-packing, sewing (a little), and more sorting! Next year I'll be better at knowing what to bring.

I decided it would be good to bring along a simple hand sewing project so I'm trying to get the quilting done on the Diamond Snow quilt. Then I can bring that to hand sew the binding on.

o

I'm doing the same thing, Kate. And, I'm thinking I'll do more visiting and wandering around than actual sewing. Like TG/Linda said, "I can sew at home." Still lacking energy, but today I was able to almost finish a 9 1/2" block I had kitted, so it's getting better.

SharonG/FL

o

I have a mountain of stuff pulled out, but I haven't yet started packing. I'm trying to get binding done on 2 quilts so I can say I have a 'clean slate' in order to start new projects at camp.

I think I have all my projects packed, so it's finishing up these, then packing. I hate to pack too early though, because then I can't piddle around over the next few days just in case I have time!! lol

o

Another jealous member here!
I have been to 2 retreats with my sister's group. Lots of fun, lots of sewing and lots of good people.
I hope the weather is good for you and all the travelers arrive there and back home safely.
ENJOY!!!!
Theresa

o

Well, Kristene just went to bed, but I've not been able to get my brain shut off enough to sleep yet. I hate nights like that - tired, but not sleepy! So browsing thro seeing what y'all are bringing & admitting to self - & now to all - that I haven't packed a thing. Haven't decided what to bring to work on, or what for show & tell. I DO know that we're coming lol - & when we're leaving. Other than that...Kristene will be ready, Cindy may not be! Tomorrow she will probably help me make some of those important decisions :)
I will give last yrs' campers a laugh - I'm bringing along a finished project that includes something from the dumpster!! Don't remember whos' fabric it was, but it just fit with what I was doing. Hope the previous owner is at camp this year, I'll thank her again!
That may be an idea --- round up some other 'dumpster diving finds' & work on those!! lol

See y'all soon!

~Cindy

o

I can't decide what to bring, so I'm bringing it all!! Some of it may not leave the car, but at least I won't feel like I left something behind. I did get most of the cutting done on the quilt for my dd that I want to work on. I hope I get a chance to get it quilted, too. I may need to stop by the fabric store on the way out of town on Thursday to get some more accent fabric to may some pillow cases.

Rita, we went by an apple orchard last weekend and I picked up 2 bushels of apples. I cooked apples all weekend! I've never had mustu apples. They are awesome!!

I also just looked at the weather. It looks perfect :-)

Robbi

o

Ahhhhhhhh Cindy! I want some of those scraps for a Bonnie Hunter quilt I'm working on - I was warned there was a Camper I would have to 'fight' to get the scraps out of the trash ~ ~ ~ its YOU!!!! :~)

I am excited to meet Kristene! Glad she made it to your place safely.

o

Reading everyone's post has me smiling instead of doing serious strategic business planning blather, blather, blather. It lunch break time! I over packed on projects and have yet to pack an article of clothing...I've also packed an item or two I'm hoping for opinions from the more expereinced quilters. Kinda like Robbi...some stuff may not leave the car, but at least it will be there if needed. This is going to be fun...see you all soon...

o

I just visited the Mary Jo site... they have Bali Pops for $25. My local quilt shop sells them for $37.

o

Oh, Kate, there is so much more. The backings for 12.99 are wonderful, even batiks. They're stored under one of the cutting tables so ask if you don't find them.

I think I have all my projects ready now. I will throw in a couple of items of clothing just to stay clean but - warning all of you - I'm not trying to keep up with the fashions. I won't waste precious suitcase space on extra shoes when I can fit in more fabric. I'll take a brush and try and keep my hair combed and that's about all. This is called camping!

o

Linda,
Would you at least throw in a deodorant? or would you like me to bring you one?!?

o

Linda, If you're going to keep your hair neat, I'll have to wear a hat and keep mine covered!

SharonG/FL

o

Less shoes, more fabric!
Less shoes, more fabric!
Less shoes, more fabric!

o

OK Jen. I'll bring deodorant, too. And, since we have Jim, Rip and Tim, I'll even wear a bra!

o

LOL...the b word, hate em, gotta have em, but hate em!

o

Ummm, speaking as one who may end up riding in the same car with you, Linda, a travel size deodorant will be appreciated. Extra shoes and hairbrush are optional - but a comb is thinner than a brush. LOL! ;o)

T.

o

I can't seem to work my machine with shoes on, so I will probably only use them to get between buildings, LOL!! I am glad to hear this is camping style! My favorite way to quilt.

Robbi

o

I'm a barefoot quilter too. I love to buy shoes but I'm not that crazy about wearing them. :~))

o

I bring a pair of slippers to wear while sewing and moving around our space. Then toss on shoes to walk to meals.

o

Last year I only had one pair of slip on - no back loafers type leather shoes (easy airport shoes). My feet and shoes got wet from the dew - not a big deal to sew, as I also sew without shoes- but the the floor in the Sloan Center got kinda messy from our shoes.
I'm bringing another pair to use to walk outside to avoid this. I still need easy slip on for the airport.

o

That's a good idea Marsha! I plan to wear flip flops and bring my tennis shoes. I am bringing socks to wear inside.

o

May I hitch a ride to the dining room with someone?

SharonG/FL

o

Are you asking for a piggyback ride, Sharon??

Maybe Tim & Jim could rig up a pharoah's chair?

o

I could bring Scout and a pull cart!

o

Do we need to bring serving pieces and plates for our goodie table?

o

No serving pieces or plates are needed, but a silver candelabra would be a nice touch. ;o)

Seriously, a plastic knife or two for cutting or spreading would be helpful if you are bringing something that needs cutting or spreading.

Teresa

o

I've got some paper plates, napkins and some plastic silverware.

We can always pull some silverware from the dining hall, if need be.

o

No piggyback rides, please....Pharoah's chair? What a visual!! LOLOLOL I'll take Scout and the cart!

SharonG/FL

o

He's ready for you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here