Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

QOTD - satbfl?

K8Orlando
9 years ago

I'm still laughing... on a recent thread by Rita (ritaweeda) we were talking about the difference between projects started and abandoned (unfinished ojbects or UFOs) and projects started and not abandoned but not currently under the sewing machine needle. I call them WIP (work in process) but Jennifer came up with SATBFL which is probably more honest because some of my WIPs are not actively "in process".

SATBFL = Set aside to be finished later.

Do you have any SATBFLs? What are they?

Val already wrote out her list on the other thread so here it is:

Comments (13)

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have one true UFO - a cat & mouse quilt that I may never finish; or maybe it will be a small wallhanging, or maybe it will sit in it's shoebox forever.

My SATBFL:
    1). a batik log cabin - not sure why I can't stay interested in this one
    2). a Christmas wallhanging with wonky pine trees
    3). a wallhanging for the family room with silks
    4). Hop to it! hand applique. This is NOT abandoned even though I haven't made a new block in 3 years.
    5). T-shirt quilt - to be quilted
    6). comfort quilt for a neighbor - to be quilted

There are probably more...

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

Kate, (and the rest of you) don't take offense - BUT - maybe you should run for office. LOL! I mean, you can take UFO - "unfinished object" - and turn it into something completely different, even though it's the exact same meaning as "set aside to be finished later". The final intent on whether you will ever finish it or not has no affect on the two. Personally, I think what you people snicker and call a UFO should really be called an STIT - "should throw in trash", because THAT one will never be finished and you know it. So my suggestion is to drag all those UFO's out of the closet, drawer, etc. and you "STIT".

• loisflan
    9 years ago

I was thinking that I didn't have any UFOs, and then I remembered that I had taken a class on confetti quilting and had never finished the project I worked on in class - and probably never will. So that's one.

In the SATBFL category there is my Bird of Paradise paper-pieced wall hanging. I decided to save it to work on in Hawaii this winter since it is so compact.

Everything else is really a WIP (by Kate's definition). I also have fabric and pattern purchased for four quilts that I haven't yet started. We need to find an acronym for that. Maybe PRTS - projects ready to start?

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Yep, Rita. That confetti project should be a STIT.

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

Unfortunately, I'd have to be IN my sewing room to search for all the satbfl projects that are hiding in there before I could list them here. But I am at work, which is why there are so many satbfls -- it's a vicious cycle you see......

Teresa

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

Well, Rita, we wouldn't have STITs if we really did STIT.

Since I just threw one away, I don't have any STITs... I do have many SATBFLs though...these I have intentions to finish.

But instead of STITs, maybe we should just organize an UFOS (Unfinished Object Swap) and just send those STITs to someone else, so that they can become WIPs. (How's that for political twisting? lol)

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Well stated Jen...
    You know the new oxford dictionary was just released this week...should we advise them of these new additions before the next printing...I'm just sayin..IJS lol

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

This is OT and probably no-one cares, but I worked for the company that put the OED and the supplement on CD-ROM back in the 80's. What a massive job that was. It was so big I don't think it actually was released until the early 90's.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There ya go... proof that some project take longer than others but it doesn't mean they'll never get done.

The difference between a SATBFL and a UFO is intent. My intentions don't mean anything to the poor pile of fabric sitting there waiting for some attention, but they mean a lot to me!

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

I care, Rita! I think that's a cool feather in your cap!

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Rita, there is a fascinating book about the making of the original OED called "The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary" by Simon Winchester. I'm sure you would find it greatly enjoyable, especially because of your connection to the latest incarnation.

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Now how cool is that Rita...! The OED...

• FlamingO in AR
    9 years ago

I think we all get bored with our UFO's or STITs or whatever you call 'em.

We ought to swap our unfinished stuff, or the fabrics we bought to make that pattern that no longer thrills us. New is always fun, and your "old" could be someone else's "new"!

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions