Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karpet_gw

If you had a clean quilting slate...(QOTD)

karpet
11 years ago

If you had nothing on your quilting to-do list right now, no WIP's, no UFO's, no gifts due, what quilt would you like to do right now? (understanding that your answer could be different by next week!)

Karlene

Comments (29)

• msmeow
    11 years ago

I have a book based on European tile floor designs (can't remember the name right now) but I'd love to do one of those!

Donna

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Funny Karlene!! I am just finishing one of 3 gifts due soon. I am the oldest of SIX girls and they all love anything I make. Problem is I AM the only one that quilts etc.,!!!!!

I purchased a Judy Neimeyer 'Garden In My Wedding Ring' quilt pattern. It has been replaced by 'Flowers For My Wedding Ring' and I paid less than half price for it on Ebay.

I have been searching for just the right fabrics and when I start on it I want to be able to concentrate on just that one pattern.

Foundation and paper piecing can be a pain in the buttocks but I love the finished piece.
    Rosa

Here is a link that might be useful: JudyNeimeyer

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

No question about it, an Oriental 9PP!

SharonG/FL-MI

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Today my answer is a Bargello. As you said, next week it might be different.
    Theresa

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

If I had absolutely nothing on my quilting to do list, I would like to make a scrappy Jewel Box quilt and start a Grandmother's Flower Garden hexagon quilt (one of those 5 year projects of hand-quilting). I have already gotten plastic pattern templates cut out for both of those quilt patterns. I am like Rosa the only one in my family who quilts right now and my family loves to get my quilts. Busy, busy, but having fun and each quilt is made with love and goes to loved ones.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• karpet
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today, I think I would want to start on curved log cabin out of the shirting fabric scraps. : )

• empress
    11 years ago

I think I would start Jamestown Landing, one of Bonnie Hunter's scrap quilts. I have plenty of fabric, would just need to get it cut.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

This is tough for me to answer...but I think it's the quilt with the reproduction fabrics from the 30's. I've been collecting the fabric for awhile...need to figure out how I want to assemble.
    V.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Shakespeare in the Park!

• grammyp
    11 years ago

I would do a Storm at Sea (and it would be all mine).

beverly

• loisflan
    11 years ago

I would make a king size Marimekko scrap quilt for our bed using 8.5" squares of the scrap fabric and a white Kona solid for the background. I just found some more scraps on-line today, so I should have enough fabric in a nice mix of colors to do it now (if I had a clean slate).

• calliope
    11 years ago

Ah geeze, I dunno. I've been wanting to make a Blue Ridge Beauty quilt for a long time. That HST and four patch is such a recurring theme and so versatile. It's also the basis for the Jewel Box Lotto block. I do know I am really 'moved' to do a blue and neutrals quilt and was pleasantly surprised to find I had so many pieces of blue quilting material from 'yardage' to small scraps. I mentioned before I had to make more of the Jewel box and also Dutchman's puzzle blocks because I liked the lotto choices so much, I used the lotto blocks I made in quilts instead. Well, one of the replacement Jewel box blocks I made was in blues, and I am smitten. It might have to happen. How different that pattern turns out when it's monochromatic.

I was also pretty smitten with the Contrary Wives Block from several lottos ago.

What I should be doing next is to start on my wool quilt, but nothing in the way of patterns has jumped out at me yet.

• murphy_zone7
    11 years ago

I have about a 1000 HST from a friendship exchange and would make the Deep Blue Sea quilt with those. I even have the brown boat fabric purchased for just this quilt.
    I have been saving this project for my guild's retreat in the fall.
    In fact, I am currently in the decision process of "what should I make now". But have about decided I really need/want new curtains for my great room....decisions decisions......quilt or curtains????

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

I have some 10" oriental sqs. that I have plans for but need to find the right setting strip material. Would love to be able to start on that but not yet. Still have to finish making quilts for my Grands for Christmas.

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

This is too hard to pin down to one thing. I've always admired the Lone Star, now I'm making a mini with a single block and I still admire it, but it's a difficult block. Also on the list: Tennessee Waltz, Feathered Star, Delectable Mountains, Carpenter's Wheel are at the top of the list I think. There are a lot more that I can't think of right now. I can't think of any applique ones that I'm in a hurry to make. I admire the workmanship of the Baltimore quilts, etc. but don't particularly have a desire to make one.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Oh, can I change mine?!? I just remembered a quilt I've been planning for years. I don't have a pattern, just an idea and a box of fabrics. I know it's going to be called Dakota Skies.

Kate

• msmeow
    11 years ago

No, Kate, you can't change your mind until next week! LOL

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

This is a tough one to answer...I've never been in the position of needing to decide what's next. There's always something that 'needs' to be done!

I think it'd have to be something paper pieced. I have a kit that I'd like to get done. (It might be a retreat project)

• nana_2009
    11 years ago

I'm thinking I would like to try a French Braid...have lots of fat quarters in varying shades and even a solid colour for the small connecting squares...have been looking a pictures of some and think it would be a great way to use of this material...will post pics when done

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

loisf: Your Marimekko bed quilt is awesome...so bright and fresh!
    V.

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

A clean slate? I wouldn't know what to do with one. BUT, if I had a clean slate with no quilting projects planned or started, I'd want to do two projects, no, make that three. I would want to make a lone star quilt, another bargello, and the "petals of my heart" quilt from keepsake quilting, which I've pictured here. POMH is a block-of-the month quilt, but I just can't see laying out over $400 for it when I've got so many other UFOs and quilts-in-progress. Interesting question!
    -Dan

p.s. As for that lone star, I'm seriously thinking about taking a weeklong vacation this coming winter to quilt one.

• calliope
    11 years ago

Oh, how beautiful!

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

Ever since I left home and my grandmother's beautiful velvet crazy quilt.That would have been a few years ago now, since I'm over 62!! ..all hand embroidered with aaaalllll those beautiful stitches, that's been #1 on my list. Mine will also have satins and peau de soie. And, second on the list (which may happen first), I have in my mind to make a Mardi Gras piece....and even have started gathering fabrics for this.

• bev2009
    11 years ago

I don't know how I got so many projects already started when I have only been quilting for 1 1/2 years and my goal was to only tackle one at a time.LOL I feel a little weighed down by them, so it's hard to think about a clean slate.

I'm hanging the wallhanging I am almost finished with on the blank wall in the living room as a temporary solution, but I would like to start on the piece I have planned for that space. It is applique and I do not have the fabric yet. However, I've purchased fabric for quilts for two daughters for Christmas so I must not think about my living room.

Dan, is the POMH applique? It's hard to know how big the squares are, so I didn't know if the images were just the fabric.

Lois, the Marimekko quilt is beautiful, so modern looking.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

loisf...really love what you did with your "scraps". Looks like the perfect solution and really cheery. Bet walking into the room makes you smile!

• bev2009
    11 years ago

I don't know how I got so many projects already started when I have only been quilting for 1 1/2 years and my goal was to only tackle one at a time.LOL I feel a little weighed down by them, so it's hard to think about a clean slate.

I'm hanging the wallhanging I am almost finished with on the blank wall in the living room as a temporary solution, but I would like to start on the piece I have planned for that space. It is applique and I do not have the fabric yet. However, I've purchased fabric for quilts for two daughters for Christmas so I must not think about my living room.

Dan, is the POMH applique? It's hard to know how big the squares are, so I didn't know if the images were just the fabric.

Lois, the Marimekko quilt is beautiful, so modern looking.

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

Oh, Dan!! Why did you have to show me that!! I love that quilt! But I can have the will power right now because my slate is far from clean. But, it is now on my "to-do-list".

If I had a clean slate, I think I would start a red-work quilt. I've really wanted to do one of those. I'm just torn on whether to had or machine embroider it. But I have plenty of time to decide since I have such a full plate :-)

Robbi

• lola99
    11 years ago

Storm at Sea. I recently bought the book: A new light on Storm at Sea quilts. I also bought the TRIMplates. But I am NOT going to even start until I finish a few more WIPs.

Lola

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

I keep thinking of patterns and then see others you folks have posted. I give up. I want them all!