Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HST layout questions

Posted by biinaboo (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 12:18

I know this is all personal preference. But I'm really questioning how I'd quilt if I did a more block style pattern. I was just going to stitch the ditch on the print and do parallel lines on the solids. I'm not a free motion quilter so I tend to stick with the easier quilting. A little background, the quilt is for my mother, with give date quickly approaching (no time to send out for quilting). It'll be 20x20 squares plus a border. Roughly 60x60. It's 15 prints plus a solid. How would you do it?

Sketches in next post.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HST layout questions

Ideas so far...would the block style (bottom right) be too busy for so many prints?

o

I like the layout you have now. For quilting, not in the ditch but 1/4 inch each side of the diagonal seam line. That would show as diamonds on the backside. But, like you said, it's personal preference. :-)

SharonG/FL

o

I like your layout, too. The solid "stripe" gives your eye a place to rest. Parallel lines in the solid would also help it "recede" into the background and allow the prints to pop more (be sure to alternate stitching directions to help prevent fabric creeping). I would SID the prints just because I like to make sure it won't come apart.

beverly

o

Thanks geezerfolks and grammyp. I think I'm over thinking the layout. Stick with the original plan! Grammyp, we are totally on the same page. That was my thinking just couldn't put into words. I wouldn't have thought to alternate stitch direction. Thanks for the tip.

Do any of you use an etsy shop for custom labels? I want to stitch one into the binding.

o

biinaboo, If you know anyone that does embroidery, they could do a label for you, or there are a few on our forum that are proficient in that area. Beverly (grammyp) did mine if you would rather do it yourself with your printer. She could guide you....I'm not that savvy so write mine.

SharonG/FL (Crystal River FL)

Here is a link that might be useful: label on quilt

o

I've ordered twill tape labels on etsy.com from inkedpapers. LOVE THEM! I sew them into the seams on quilts and purses I make. I don't make any of these things professionally or sell them on-line, but I think the nice labels add a really finished touch. You can get a large roll of them, ready to cut off to the size you want, for about $20.

Kate

From their Etsy page:

Here is a link that might be useful: Twill printed labels

o

How about a woodgrain pattern? I did a couple like this-

Amethyst Matrix Closer Up

...and they drape so nicely and feel so good.

o

Ooooh! my favorite colors. Great quilt and I wouldn't have thought to do allover lines, yet I like the result.
LindaB/CA

o

I like that woodgrain quilting pattern!

o

Thanks! It's kind of organic, pretty simple to do, but it's helpful to have a wide throat on the machine, otherwise the wrestling can get tiresome (and annoying, I usually end up sore and tipsy, because I end up hitting the wine to keep from getting too cranky!)

o

I like the layout you have, but they are all nice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here