Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
demarish

Fleece Backing

DeMarisH
12 years ago

I have never used fleece backing on a cotton top quilt. Do I have to quilt it?? It is a lap quilt and I decided I wanted it warmer so I will back with fleece.

Comments (7)

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

I love to use fleece as backing on small quilts. I find it difficult to use on larger quilts. Are you going to tie it?? You will need some method to hold the sandwich together.
    Wash the fleece and dry before you use it because it will shrink.
    Rosa

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

I have used fleece on small quilts and lap sized quilts. My GD quilt that I posed earlier in the week has a fleece backing. They are very cozy but not the easiest to work with. I have always quilted them as I would any other quilt as they have a tendency to stretch. Silicon spray on the machine helps as they will not mover as freely as cotton.

• grammyp
    12 years ago

When I use fleece for the back, I usually stitch around the top and leave a small border of the fleece, no binding. Then I tack, tie, outline some elements on the top (outline items, or do a decorative stitch over the ditches. Don't get too carried away with it. I have found with use the fleece stretches and sags, then when washed shrinks back into shape. The grands love their fleece backed ones.

beverly

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

I've used minky on the back once. It stretches a bit so a big overall stitch worked best for me. It's very warm and cozy and washed well.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I've used Minky and polar fleece. For the Minky I did mostly straight line SITD or slight curves because the minky doesn't slide around very easily. For the polar fleece I did fairly large designs, matching the fabric on the top, but I was able to move it around easily for free motion quilting. That quilt had fleece for the top and backing!

I think you can see the quilting in the photos; pretty plain for both of them.

Fleece:

Minky:

Kate

• DeMarisH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, thanks ladies, you have all be great and very helpful. Next question on this would be....have any of you sewed it together with the insides touching and then turned it inside out....then top stitched around the edge in about 1/4 to 1/2 inch then quilted it....LOL....I was thinking it might be easier to bind that way and then start in the center and quilt. Or should I just float it on the gammill and then quilt and then bind it.
    Thanks in advance for the help.
    DeMaris

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Love it Kate!!! I like the way fleece looks quilted but I have a hard time quilting it!

Are you talking about 'birthing' a quilt???? Where you sew the backing on and leave a small opening to turn the quilt right side out and then top stitch around the edges?? I have problems with that method even on a small quilt. I prefer to sew a binding on either by machine or hand.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022