Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

Birthday Block Exchange for 2013

sandlapper_rose
11 years ago

I am looking for a hostess or co-hostesses to coordinate the Birthday Block Exchange in 2013. If you might be interested, please post here and let the group know or send me an e-mail message. I'm sure Kristene will provide information also if you request it. Late in 2011, Kristene and I thought we could co-host the exchange for 2013, but it is not going to work out for us. Kay (kay_in_PA) stepped in to help this year, but it's time to turn it over to some new hands.

We will be happy to pass along the lists that we have for rules or block choices or anything else we have on hand. If the previous rules and lists don't suit you, you can change things because this program belongs to those who are participating and there is nothing that has to be done in a certain way from year to year.

The Birthday Block Exchange has provided friendship and fun here on the Quilting Forum for maybe 6 or more years so we hope someone will step up to allow it to continue. It would be sad to see it come to an end.

As for what is involved, you would post the information about the exchange here with a date by which people must sign up. Then in the past we have set up groups of 13 people. You send a predetermined quilt block to each person in your group so it will arrive for his or her birthday. In return, you receive 12 blocks of your choice for your birthday. It's lots of fun to receive the blocks and everyone agrees that they try new things and work with different colors and types of fabric than they may have otherwise used. And, of course, we love to see the competed quilts when the blocks are all put together!

Jeanne

Comments (21)

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This post is getting mighty lonely up here all by itself. I wonder if it will help to see if we have 13 people interested if joining in if there is a Birthday Block Exchange in 2013. That may help someone decided if they want to be a coordinator - and certainly two can share the duties and that works fine, too.

So copy and paste and add on so we can see a list of how many think they are interested. This is not an official sign up - because there is no coordinator right now, but if you are here on the list, a coordinator will know to get back in touch with you. If you have participated in the Exchange in the past, please list that to the side so we know you have a basic understanding of how the rules work.

I'll be first on the list:
    Jeanne (sandlapper_rose) - PARTICIPATED

• jackier123
    11 years ago

Jackie (jackier123) - PARTICIPATED

• User
    11 years ago

Kay (kay_in_pa.... but now in WV) - PARTICIPATED

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Mary (tuppermom) - PARTICIPATED

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Linda (quiltnhen) Never tried it before.

• chickie1
    11 years ago

I'm interested

Darlene (chickie 1) - PARTICIPATED

• wynative
    11 years ago

I'm interested
    Marie (Wynative) - PARTICIPATED

Jeanne & Kristen,
    I would be interested in being a co-host but as I have never hosted before I am nervous about taking on such a big job by myself.

Marie

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

I'm interested
    LInda (quiltnhen) interested, but have not participated before

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great to see the interest is there! I suspect someone will be a coordinator or two people will agree to take it on together so keep the copy and paste going and we'll see if we have at least 13 people interested. Marie, thanks for offering to help. That's so much appreciated.
    As for participation, in the past some people have signed up filling in for up to 3 people and I think that makes it very hard on them, so it would be nice to have 13 different people interested... if not more.
    We'll keep watching and I'll bet this will take shape. I know some may not have wanted to jump in as coordinator when they didn't even know if the interest was there.
    Have a great week, everyone!
    Jeanne

• Kristene Smith
    11 years ago

Kristene (tinyteena) - PARTICIPATED

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Dan (dan_the_mailman) - PARTICIPATED (if there are an abundance of birthdays in September again, we could move me to an otherwise empty month if that would help)

• polardream
    11 years ago

Dan (dan_the_mailman) - PARTICIPATED (if there are an abundance of birthdays in September again, we could move me to an otherwise empty month if that would help)
    Sue (Polardream) - PARTICIPATED

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bumping this back to the top because I suspect we have a few more people who are interested. If so, keep the list going!
    Jeanne

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

I'm not going to participate in the birthday group in 2013 because I think I'll manage the lotto again next year, but I have really enjoyed it in the past and encourage new participants to join in. It's a good way to challenge yourself with new blocks, connect with other members of the forum, AND you get 12 blocks for your birthday!

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

I just received my first block yesterday, and let me tell you, it's exciting! And just think, there are 11 more on there way, and my birthday isn't for another 18 days! If you haven't done this before, I heartily recommend it!
    This is my first year doing the birthday block exchange, and I have learned a LOT this year and my sewing skills have improved immensely, IMHO...lol! HSTs used to scare the dickens out of me, but no more! It's been a lot of fun making the different blocks, and I'm now keeping an album of patterns and pix of the blocks I make, which I sometimes take to joanns for reference, and it's a whole lot of fun showing the ladies there what I've been up to. Lol, and one time I even taught an impromptu class right there at the cutting table. I don't know which of you ladies started this, but it's been a blast to participate in, and I thank you!
    Dan

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm bumping this back up to the top in case there is more interest.
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bumping this back to the first page...the exchange is more likely to happen if we have 13 people interested so keep thinking about it!
    Jeanne

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Never did this before...count me in the "I'm interested" list
    Valarie

• meima
    11 years ago

I am interested and have participated in the past.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Sounds like an even dozen??? Anyone else out there?

• Kristene Smith
    11 years ago

Bumping up to the top of the page - any more interest in the exchange for next year?

Kristene

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH