Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love2sew_gw

Info. needed on new battings

love2sew
13 years ago

I am sure I am not the only one overwhelmed by the choices of new quilt bats on the market. I have been using Warm and Natural for my machine quilted quilts. I can no longer buy it here so went to a quilt shop and wow, there are so many new ones I don't know which one to use.

I am hoping some of you machine quilters can provide some insight on the new products. I liked W&N because it got a nice crinkle when you washed it. What new one would give this finish?

Jeane

Comments (10)

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

I am not expert but I have used Hobbs 80/20 with success and like it for general use. I have a wool batt that I am using on on that I am hand quilting and find that is very nice but not inexpensive. It hasn't been washed but from reports I have seen that is not a problem. The newer ones from bamboo are reported as good choices but have no experience with them. I like thermolar by hobbs for thinner quilts but that does not shrink for you crinkled look. Jayne

• petalpatsy
    13 years ago

I think any of the 100% cotton unbleached battings will give you 3% shrinkage in a warm wash. Hobbs Tuscany says 3-5%.

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Although I would have to have them in front of me to be sure, I think the Hobbs 80/20 is a bit thicker (loftier) than W&N. Just my impression from using both of them.

Teresa

• love2sew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The ones at my LQS were Quilter's Dream, 100% cotton (very thin), 100% bamboo (quite thin and very soft). I hope I am correct in saying the QD came in different thicknesses??? Any comments on these and who makes them? She also had several blends but I didn't think they were what I was looking for.

I certainly appreciate your comments and look forward to anything else you might think of.
    Jeane

• barbara_l
    13 years ago

A fellow quilter and myself got together and bought Quilters Dream directly from the company. You had to buy a case -- for example we bought a case of twins... 10 total. The cost with the shipping was still cheaper than any store. You can call the company for a price list... and go from there. It only takes a few days to get your items. If you like a product -- go directly with a company.. and be happy!!

• msmeow
    13 years ago

The owners/employees at the quilt shop can give you advice on the batting they sell. You can also buy W&N online from many different places.

Donna

• petalpatsy
    13 years ago

I'm a newbie quilter, but I'm also a little OCD so I tried to learn a lot about batts. I think all this is right, but hope to be corrected if anything is wrong. I've used Quilter's Dream wool, Hobbs Tuscany wool, and I've uses Quilter's Dream Cotton Select loft. I chose these because I'm a hand quilter and they needle the easiest. I have some half-price batts from JoAnne's that are cotton/silk and cotton/wool blends, and I have straight from the farm wool batts that terrify me.

Batts are bleached or unbleached/natural. Bleaching a batt make it whiter (duh) but also pre-shrinks it. Batts can also be :

---needlepunched into itself (Quilter's Dream, and now Soft and Natural, and Hobbs Tuscany cottons)

---needlepunched through polyester scrim (Warm and Natural, Hobbs Heirloom Natural With Scrim). These are the quilt 10" apart batts, but very difficult to hand quilt through.

---thermally bonded with polyester epoxy dry powder at 400 degrees, which bonds the fibers throughout the batt to mimimize bearding (Quilter's Dream Wool) This holds a wool batt to a thinner loft and prevents bearding better. Hobbs looks exactly the same out of the package, but will relax and puff up to about twice the height.

---resin bonded with acrylic spray on both surfaces to prevent bearding (Hobbs Tuscany wool). You shouldn't split a Hobbs wool batt, or you lose one side of your bonding.

The Hobbs Premium and Heirloom Bleached cottons are 80/20 blends that use a little needlepunching and a little resin bonding, I guess trying to avoid the worst of both worlds while keeping the 4" quilting distance.

The acrylic resins off gas VOCs more than polyesters, and some people may be sensitive to VOCs. Some people might just not like that plastic smell.

Some resins get sprayed on heavier than others, just like some scrims are thicker than others. That effects how the quilt will drape and conform/snuggle, too. It may help to actually handle the batt--very difficult to do at JoAnne's because buddy, let me tell you, they come out of the bag MUCH easier than they go back into it.

Here is a link that might be useful: nice hobbs site

• petalpatsy
    13 years ago

Yes, Quilter's Dream Cotton comes in different lofts. I don't really know which loft would be the same as Warm and Natural, but my Select loft is about 1/8 thick, if that helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilter's Dream site

• love2sew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Petalpatsy, thank you for all your information and resources. I have printed it all off for future use.
    Jeane

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

PetalPatsy! Thanks! You've compiled information that all of us can use.

Kate

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County