Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? Aug. 22-24

lindaoh_gw
9 years ago

I hope to get to my sewing room this weekend. My life is so changed since we moved. I am busy with the house and family. I am missing the quilting and hope to get back to it soon.
Are you sewing this weekend?
Linda OH

Comments (22)

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Hope to get the binding on my son's quilt for real this time!
    LindaB/CA

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

This week and this weekend I am cleaning out cabinets and closets to donate stuff for my church's upcoming fall garage sale fundraiser. Am hand-piecing some granny square quilt blocks. The 6" border on my parents's quilt is bubbly on top and I am not really happy with it, but I have already hand-sewn the binding on, so am just going to stitch the 6" border on the quilt as best I can and call it done.... I have been working on this quilt since 2009 and I am so ready to finish it. So that's pretty much my weekend other than doing laundry.

Best to you all,
    Sandra

• grammyp
    9 years ago

Yes, Yes! I have the forest service quilt almost finished. 2 more passes and it is done. The wall hanging is ready to put together, then binding and they are finished.

beverly

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

I have to! I have so many sewing projects in the works and I need to work on at least one of them this weekend. I haven't worked on any of them for 2 weeks!

• msmeow
    9 years ago

I did the vertical quilting on my birthday block quilt before we went on our trip so I'm planning to re-load it on the frame and do the horizontal quilting this weekend. I may even be really ambitious and get the binding on it, too. :)

I've been trying to get motivated to work on my hand applique project. I have quite a few of the pieces cut; just need to get moving on the actual sewing.

Donna

• loisflan
    9 years ago

I want to finish cutting the blocks for my nephew's RED quilt. I also have pieced an Asian fabric quilt that needs a border. I've worked on repairing my neighbor's quilt. I have all the log cabin blocks repaired and replaced, and I have a plan on how to do the focus fabric. If it works as I think it might, I'll probably end up with two small scraps of fabric left over.

Monday we are planning to go to the Minnesota State Fair. It's a big deal around here. There's always a big display of quilts. Deep-fried pickle on a stick, anyone?

• nannykins
    9 years ago

I have spent the last week at DD2s new house on Lake Huron, (the Canadian side). While there I finished hand sewing binding on a quilt. Now that I am home, I hope to get moving on at least one more top and get that pile whittled down. I have told myself I cannot start another until they are finished.
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

I hope to get some sewing done (maybe some laundry), and get a couple of blocks ready to mail. I've been putting together one 17 inch block (Growing Up Odd Quilt) a day for 4 days plus getting a little bit done around the house, plus trying to keep track of oldest daughter who was able to come home from hospital today after being in for 10 days and youngest daughter had surgery a week ago today. Sitting at the machine is comforting to me so hope to be able to keep it going. Oldest daughter will need to return to hospital once a day for about a week for treatment and will need to have her leg rewrapped several times a day and youngest daughter is not allowed to do 'anything' for a month. I'm sure glad they both have grown kids to step up and do what needs to be done.

Mainly, I want to revisit whatever I was working on before I left 2 months ago and refresh my memory. lol

SharonG/FL

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Wow geezer. Hope everyone mends well. Sounds like a difficult time.
    LindaB/CA

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Thanks, LindaB. It's been a bit stressful.

Some of you might remember my oldest daughter, SallyJo, who was on the forum for awhile.

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Sharon, I'm sorry to hear your daughters are ill! Hoping they are on the mend soon.

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Sharon ~ speedy healing to both your Daughters! And a shout out to Sally Jo! Keeping them both in my thoughts and prayers!
    Concentrate stitching on those squares and you will be soothed one stitch at a time.

I am trying to get ready for a Bridal Shower -- sewing odd things!

Linda, Congrats! I am so happy for your (uneventful) move.
    Enjoy your family and making new quilting friends.

• grammyp
    9 years ago

Glad girls are taken care of, Sharon.

I finished quilting the forest service quilt and the wall hanging is on the design board (aka ironing board). I have to get more fabric for the boarder today, then tomorrow I can get it together. Yippee, I'm almost done with the prizes. Still have 4 wall hangings to do for the offices, but can finish them anytime.

beverly

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

Hope the girls get through this well, Sharon.

I have finished up a couple of small applique wallhangings I invented to take on a recent cruise. I can't sit long without stitching on something. They are ready to quilt now. They will be house warming gifts.

Then I looked in the sewing room and decided that lots of things I've been unable to find are probably under my quilting frame so I decided to tackle the large quilt I put on the frame a year ago. It's taken me this long - plus getting over the shoulder surgery - to decide what to do with it. I have gotten a long way by doing a couple of passes every time I am in there but hope to have the thing off the frame and the great reveal of what's under it soon. It's like finding buried treasure.

Finished up a baby quilt last week and if I can find my camera I'll post that soon. Just got home from two back-to-back trips and still getting my head together.

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

Not too much for me, this weekend. Brother, SIL & niece came to visit yesterday, took DD shopping for jeans last night (big sale at Old Navy), and today I'm (err... 'we') are babysitting grandson while the kids go to a movie & dinner...first 'date' in over a year!

I have finished my Challenge quilt, and things are cleared for the next project. I should finish quilting mom's quilt, but feel like I'd prefer to quilt a few of my other projects (to be ready to share at Retreat!!). These will probably take less time, and I'd feel more accomplished. But, I've had mom's for almost 2 years!... grrrr

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

Working on finishing quilts for our Sept. guild quilt show: hanging sleeves and labels for the Bubbles #3 and Bluework baby quilts so I can show them, and finishing my round robin quilt, borders, layering, quilting, hanging sleeves, label - oh dear! that sounds like a lot yet to do!!!

Teresa

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finally finished the curtains for the transom windows! Now to find a ladder tall enough to put them up. Dsil said he will hang them for me. Our ladders are still at the old house and don't know when we will get them. The plan is for next weekend but... our plans have changed so often that I'm not counting on it.
    Now, on to quilting!!!
    Linda OH

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Any nibbles on the old house? Fingers crossed.
    And also crossed for Sharon's daughters.
    Theresa

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Well, so far really no sewing for me this weekend. :( I seem to be in one of those bleh moods again. I basted the frist few pieces of my hand applique, so I may work on that after dinner. I reloaded my quilt on the frame and stitched one pass yesterday. At least it's ready when I am!

DH's step-mom passed away yesterday, so we ended up making a trip to Lakeland, so even if I'd felt like sewing I wouldn't have had much time to.

Maybe next weekend...

Donna

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Sorry Donna about your family death.
    I got nothing done this weekend either. I just read and watched a movie. Maybe tomorrow!
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Sorry about the death in your family, Donna. hugs.....

I did manage to get another block made and all the components for another one, too. No laundry was done but mail is ready to go to Valarie on the East Coast and Valerie on the West Coast. :-)

Prayers are appreciated. The girls are making progress but Sally Jo has a long way to go (I really thought she would lose her leg). She has some decisions to make that she knows will be difficult, but understands for her health it has to be. My sister is with her for a few days to help get her situated. Holly is doing well and is getting antsy....she thinks she should be able to at least get on the treadmill, but doc says, NO! Silly girl. lol

It's after midnight so the week-end is officially over now and I should make my way to bed. Night all......

SharonG/FL

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Sharon,
    Sounds like a lot to handle at one time. Be sure to be kind to yourself as you deal with it all.
    LindaB/CA

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz