Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mountainbasketmaker

Barnett's hoop

I'm a handquilter and use an Edmunds 16" hoop. Has anyone used Barnett's Laptop Hoops? They are on a small stand and lift the hoop up off your lap. I was wondering if anyone has any advice or pros and cons of these hoops.

Comments (12)

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Actually, I have a Barnett hoop and have used it once. One of the reasons I bought this was because it's HOT here in Florida for quilts draped all over you when you're hand quilting. It did help with the heat issue, but more was that it positioned my work on a base - making my arms less tired. It was expensive, but probably worth it, especially if someone does lots of hand quilting and/or embroidery. As with any hoop, you have to move the fabrics and re-adjust often.

• grammyp
    9 years ago

I haven't used one, but it looks heavy to me. I know I wouldn't like the "sit on" one. I think I would prefer a floor frame.

beverly

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

The Barnett's hoop, while it isn't super light...it's really not so bad, either, for weight. I also have a floor hoop...the biggest advantage there is that it has a larger work area. But, since I'm not really 'tall', ...okay, so I'm plain SHORT!...the only way I can use the floor frame is to sit on a straight back (dining room or kitchen) chair. With Barnett's, lazy me can sit in my recliner while hubby watches tv.

• mountainbasketmaker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the advice. Like you, Beth, I sit lazily in a chair to quilt with my husband watching sports, sports, sports! Do you have the bean bag or sit on base? I'm leaning towards the bean bag, but not sure if it will raise the quilt too high in my lap. Or do you just use the hoop without the add on base?

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Hope I can post the pics I just took for you, Mtnbasketmaker... (do you really make baskets????) This is about 6" high..bottom has magnets if I ever decide to buy 'add ons'.... (I can't even remember what the add ons are, tho!!!! )

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

top view. (btw...when I took it out for the pix, it didn't seem heavy, at all..) Hope this helps.

• mountainbasketmaker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wonderful pictures, Beth! I have to ask another question though.... What size hoop (diameter) is yours? And yes, I used to make handwoven Appalachian egg baskets. I've always been one to keep my hands busy, but baskets are messy (wet!) and quilting is much more fun! Thanks again for your pictures!

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

welcome! this one is a 14" hoop. Pictures of any of your baskets?? I'm in total awe of Anyone who can make baskets!!

• mountainbasketmaker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks a million, Beth! I think I uploaded a pic of two of my baskets. Hope you can see it. Your info on the hoop has made my decision much easier. I think I'll get the same one as you! Yay!

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Oh my...your baskets are beautiful! I can't imagine what it takes to make baskets...just lovely...thanks for sharing!

V.

• mountainbasketmaker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You're very kind, littlehelen!
    I ordered my Barnett's hoop this morning, Beth! 14" with a vented bottom, just like yours!

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

oh my GOSH! those baskets are totally amazing...!! I am in AWE! Have always loved baskets of any kind, but hand made are La Crème de la Crème!! Yours are just strikingly beautiful!!