Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

August 2014 Quilting/Sewing Goals

Where I am today, the kids are home from church camp and school starts next week. Wow, that's just crazy early but they get out earlier next year, too. I'm told it has to do with school construction as they want to have it completed by the end of next summer.

I hope you saw the picture I posted at the end of July's goal thread. For me to meet forum members/friends/cohorts is a pleasure and something I like to make happen as often as I can. :-)

My plans for August.....priority is getting back home....probably in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, I cut up a couple of plaid shirts I bought at Goodwill in Chicago and am making Bear Paw blocks with them. I had some muslin left from the backing of the Cumberland quilt, so am using that for the background. I have 2 14 1/2" blocks made of 4 paws each and want to make at least 2 more this week. Still debating if I'll leave them here to work on in the future, or take them home.

Have you started your Christmas sewing yet? heh heh heh

SharonG/FL-IN

Comments (18)

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

I would like to finish quilting Mom's quilt, and get binding on it. This monkey has GOT to get off my back!

Then I'd like to dye fabric and work on my Retreat Challenge quilt.

Maybe quilt the 4-5 quilts that are sandwiched and ready.

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

August, well school starts next week for my little man. My goal for August is:

1. Work on baby quilt.

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 11:20

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

I'm going to put my toe in here and try this to see if a list can become a reality.

1. complete the quilting and bind my son's quilt and send it off.

2. quilt at least one other UFO

3. decide and the setting and assemble the birthday blocks from 2013.

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Sharon, I saw your picture on the other thread. How fun to meet another quilter!

We'll be gone on vacation over 2 weekends, so I will have a short list for August. :)

- Quilt and bind my birthday block quilt (my birthday is this month, so I should finish it, right?)

- Quilt and bind a baby quilt for another online group (still waiting for the top)

- Quilt and bind my Christmas mosaic

That's probably all I can accomplish this month. I think I'll take my hand applique project on our trip, even though I probably won't work on it. :)

Donna

• grammyp
    9 years ago

I gotta finish the forest service quilts, they are giving them away Sept 5th.

beverly

• nannykins
    9 years ago

My gaol for August is to finish up some UFO's. There are at least six tops waiting to be finished.
    But like a lot of us, I would rather start something new. Discipline!!!
    Theresa

• lindaoh_gw
    9 years ago

My goal is to get my new sewing room organized and to make the August row of the Quilt Doodle BOM made. I also have to make curtains for 3 windows.
    I am using my green and purple DWR quilt in our new bedroom. I need to make pillow shams or cases to match it. I have never used it but our new room has a lavender accent wall that works perfectly with the quilt.
    I hope to get the machine set up and all these projects finished before the month is over.
    Linda OH

• calliope
    9 years ago

I walked into my sewing room this morning to look for patterns to make my g'granddaughter a sun dress with matching bloomers. No works in progress. Clean and neat. I just sat there and soaked it in. LOL. I have such cute patterns for little girls' clothing, and may take a quilting break to do a few. They don't stay toddlers long. I have some of my father's flannel shirts and some plain flannel and think I may make a quilted throw from them. It's been on my list for years now. Still busy with gardening and not in a quilty mood. Need some break from it, and an inspiration to get my groove back.

• polardream
    9 years ago

Goals for this month won't include too much quilting, but will include sewing.
    1. Took my Pfaff in to be serviced today
    2. Clean my sewing room!
    3. Cut out 14 vests for Lions Club
    4. Cut out 5 aprons for Lions Club
    5. Cut binding for finished quilt and get it on

Kristene will be arriving at my house on August 11 for 3 nights and 2 days so I hope we can visit a couple quilt shops in between visiting and showing her a little of Colorado!

Sue

• loisflan
    9 years ago

I did get several of my July goals accomplished, although they were completed the first weekend in August. Goals for this month are:

1) Work on my nephew's red quilt. It's all cut.
    2) Finish quilting my Baby Honu quilt. Bind.
    3) Make the August lotto block. I missed July. Sorry Val and Kate.
    4) Check with my LAQ to see if she has returned to quilting after surgery. If so, bring my husband's quilt to her. It has a Minky backing and is quite large. I don't think my FMQ skills are up to it yet, and he's looking for his quilt.
    5) Decide whether or not to FMQ my niece's quilt.
    6) Decide on which of my six quilts to start on next. I will need something fun to work on in between the tedious RED quilt for my nephew.
    7) Try to not start FlamingO's Wheel of Fortune rainbow quilt until I have some of the other's completed.

That's it for August.

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

I was busy in July and got lots done, but still have lots to do!

Not sure how much of this I'll get done because it's going to be a busy month at work too.

0. My goddaughter's engagement quilt is done! Finished the binding last night. All I have to do is mail this one.
    1. Bind the wedding signature quilt
    2. Finish quilting and then bind the table runner that matches the wedding quilt.
    3. Quilt and bind the large lap quilt for my ailing neighbor.
    4. Work on the Family Room silk wallhanging.
    5. Decide if I'm going to free motion quilt the t-shirt quilt on my Juki or if I'm going to learn to use my friend's long arm set up.
    6. Finish Ruby (Moda Ruby fabrics) and then decide how I'm going to quilt it.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! After reading everyone's goals I'm ready for a nap!
    Even if you only get half of your list done, that's good!

I'm in the process of 'mending' the edges of a king size quilt I made for DD and her DH quite a few years ago. The part that didn't hold up is red batik. I know he holds onto it and uses it every night 24/7 year round as he says he can't sleep well without it. It's completely black and red so I bought a reddish/maroonish flat sheet and am just covering the binding a few inches front and back. Reminds me of the 'beard covers' we had talked about awhile back, only this is permanent and sewn on really good! And, tell ya what, there's hardly anything left of the sheet I bought either.

I'm still in Indiana but hope to be home by the 16th.

SharonG/FL-IN

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After reviewing everyone's comments, and reading the newer posts in other threads, I think you girls have done an outstanding job of working on your list! Good for you!!!

I was able to donate my Star Struck, Bricks and Stepping Stones and String-X quilt tops this month, along with a bunch of orphan blocks. Yeaaaaaa, more out of the house and going to charity.

A couple more days of August......

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    9 years ago

That's great , Sharon!

Alas, I am still on my first item. Hopefully it will be done this weekend!

Donna

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

I have dyed fabric and finished by Retreat Challenge!!

And I have quilted one of the four sandwiched quilts. Another sits ready with a plan.

Alas, Mom's quilt still sits there...

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

I didn't do so well. First three are done, none of the rest.

• polardream
    9 years ago

Busy month!!!

1. Took my Pfaff in to be serviced today - got machine back and had to take it back in - it needs a new hook assembly ($350 more bucks which really hurts!)
    2. Clean my sewing room - was done - now needs it again!
    3. Cut out 14 vests for Lions Club - cut and sewn
    4. Cut out 5 aprons for Lions Club - 2 finished, waiting on machine to finish rest
    5. Cut binding for finished quilt - Binding sewn on, now the hand sewing
    BONUS
    6. Made 6 potholders - DONE
    7. Had Kristene visit from Australia for 3 nights/2 days - GREAT TIME!!!!

Sue

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Well I got lots done, but not all my goals.
    1. My sons quilt is finished, except for the hand part of the binding.
    2. I made and quilted a comfort quilt for the guild, just needs the hand work on the binding.
    3. Took a class called circles and curves. I finished the curves part. Now I just have to decide where to place, then inset the circles.
    Sadly I also wrote up,a list of UFOs so I can work through them and the list is Waaaayyyyyy longer than I thought.
    LindaBCA

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms