Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ritaweeda

Just Checking In

ritaweeda
10 years ago

Yes, I've been gone from posting although I have lurked all the time. I left off posting when they added the facebook and pinterest stuff but have decided that as long as I don't post any more photos why not participate? I was really mad when I was Googling images of 5 pointed stars one day and found one of my photos in there that I didn't put there and so it obviously wound up there via someone else's efforts.
But anyway, we've already hashed all that out before.
So my newest quilt activity has been: I submitted one of my quilts to the local Historical Museum for their annual quilt exhibit and they accepted it. They had it for the whole month of July. It was the first time I had visited this place since I've been living here and the place is very interesting. Most of the quilts were vintage but they welcomed any type of quilt so I lent them the "Tree of Life" applique that I did last year.
My DIL's mom brought me 9 Walmart shopping bags - (the blue reusable ones) stuffed FULL of fabric that she had been collecting for the past few years!!! That was 2 weeks ago and I am still prewashing and storing it. This last bag is all blue and that's the part I'm really going to have a hard time squeezing into it's space in the closet since I already have a lot of blue. I am really set for some quilting. They are all colors and sizes. I warned her that if and when she ever retires she is going to regret this but she insisted. She gave me a bunch last year, too and I made her a quilt for Christmas in return. I have been sitting on an Amish-style quilt for my Grandson, all it needs is binding. I really need to finish that and get it out of here. I made it with black background with squares of different colors throughout and although I used several different colors it isn't colorful enough for me since I have gravitated to lots of colors in a quilt over the last year. But you might recall I am really anal about working on more than one project at a time so I've got to bite the bullet and get this drab thing done so I can plan and play with all this wonderful fabric!!!

Comments (6)

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Welcome back, Rita. I'm glad you are having such a good time with your bags of gifted fabric. I'm sorry we won't be seeing photos of your quilts, but everyone has to do what they're comfortable with. This electronic age can be unnerving sometimes.

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

Good to hear what you are up to. A bountiful harvest of fabric will surely stir your creative juices. Lucky girl. Just playing with the fabric is fun.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Welcome back Rita! I've missed you. I saw you posting on the cooking forum and was going to ask if you were quilting as a hint to come back here. :~)
    The picture thing.......if you post a pic anywhere on the internet, it is going to get picked up and posted somewhere in a category that will show up in a search. So are our words, so we just have to be careful not to post anything you don't want the world to see!

I've always enjoyed your posts & work, so I hope you stay and share. Congrats on your quilt that was selected to be displayed.
    You should be proud.

• ritaweeda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your welcome back, yes I've posted on the cooking forum, but the quilting scene has been dry around here (just nothing hapening) until just recently. I made several quilts last year and somehow this year I've stayed out of the sewing room pretty much. I just got tapped out! I hope this comes to an end soon what with all this fabric, it would be a shame if it just sits. I also occasionally post on the Florida Gardening forum but it's been dead lately for me, too, it's just so hot out there to think about it and with all the rain we've gotten the ground is so soggy that it's hard to even weed. I know - excuses excuses.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Rita, There comes a time when we sometimes need to take a break from things. No worries or feelings of guilt, please. When the time is right, it will return. It sure is hot out there....Heat Index today is over 100. I can handle the actual heat air better than the heat index air.....whew! Good to see you posting again. :-)

SharonG/FL

• calliope
    10 years ago

Just smiling when you were talking about the 'drab' quilt. I started a sunshine/shadow quilt with three or four very deep burgundy/brown/grey fabric and about 3/4 way through it, wondered what I was thinking. I soldiered through it, backed it in black, and my husband fell in love with it. It has also grown on me as well. I use it more than any of my other quilts. Perhaps the one you are sitting on will find a place in his heart too. Good to see you, btw.