Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? Aug. 10-11

lindaoh_gw
10 years ago

I almost forgot the weekend question! My son and his family are coming home for the weekend. When they were home in July, Eli was fascinated with tractors so I made him a John Deere quilt. I quilted it yesterday and put the binding on by machine last night. Can't wait to see his reaction.
I won't be sewing this weekend, just enjoying my family!
Are you quilting this weekend?
Linda OH

This post was edited by lindaoh on Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 14:14

Comments (15)

• jackier123
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am putting the borders on my 'Easy Street' quilt this weekend. I am also getting things together for retreat. I can't wait!

Jackie

• calliope
    10 years ago

Enjoy your weekend with your son and his family, Linda. What little country boy wouldn't love a John Deere quilt?

Yes, I started the border for my Chinese lantern quilt. It's HSTs sewn so that patterned triangles dip into the plain background fabric. Just doing a little at a time, and keeping it fun. I really like the fabrics on this one, been saving them a long time now for a 'special' quilt.

Have a great weekend, all.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

As soon as little one goes down for a nap, I'm going to be making blackberry jam. That might take all afternoon.

Maybe tonight I can get down and make a few more retreat gifts...I think I need 2 more.

Tomorrow's booked with family stuff.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Yes, I'm sewing. The second quilt for the boys is now ready for the Cars border. The fabric is pulled for the backing and I'm pondering on it.......

While I ponder, I hope to get first blue border on Love in the Mist BOM from 2011. Even though this is for a 50th BD gift in 2015, closing on the cabin railing over which it might hang is next month and I'd at least like to see the top hanging there even if it isn't quilted yet. :-)

SharonG/FL

• Robbi D.
    10 years ago

Linda, that is adorable!!

Sharon, I'd love to see the Love in the Mist BOM. That is one on my list to do one day.

I'm working on the Feathered Star quilt for my son. It's all machine embroidery, but each block takes about 40 minutes to stitch out. I have 7 more to do before the 24th.

I'm also in the hair bow business thanks to my daughter! So, I'm busy making hair bows for a local cheerleading team.

I'm still not sure how to quilt my retreat challenge, so I'm holding off on that today. I do hope to get a few of the squares of my Dear Jane started that require hand applique work. My husband has been complaining that I'm spending too much time with my sewing machines :-( That way I can sit in front of the TV with him (I'm not much on TV these days).

Robbi

• jackier123
    10 years ago

Robbi,
    When my husband complains that I am spending too much time in my sewing room, I invite him in there with me. Then I proceed to ask him to cut fabric, sort fabric, pin pieces etc...he soon leaves and stays away until he forgets what happened. Then a few months later, he tries it again. LOL

Jackie

• vicky4x4
    10 years ago

Yes, I t finished three "trees" for my Friendship Forest quilt;
    a purple, orange and a blue and yellow one.

Having fun...
    Vicky

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

that John Deere quilt is just too cute for words...that would be a hit in any town.
    Wrapping up the top on the wine quilt, borders, piping today, hope to sandwich in the next two weeks and quilt grapes,wine bottles and glasses on the top.
    Also need to cut fabric for my retreat project...so looking forward to it!
    V.

• Robbi D.
    10 years ago

Jackie, If I did that, I'd have the biggest mess! But it might be worth it to not hear him complain :-)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Robbie, If you look closely, you'll find the 9 1/2" blocks are pretty familiar. Put your scrappy blues and neutrals (if those are the colors you're using) into a container, along with the patterns, then you can make a few at a time until they're all completed. For most of them, all I needed was a picture so I'd know which block to make and where to put the lights, darks and meds. I'm sure there are a few other 9-patch designs in there, too. :-) It's taking me longer to put the borders on than it did to make the 38 blocks! :-)

• User
    10 years ago

Linda I love the John Deer quilt! I am embroidering the 2nd pillowcase for my Grandma's Christmas present. This week a close family friend, Kim, was in a bad accident and is currently in the hospital in a drug-induced coma, but thankfully her brain swelling is starting to go down. So if you pray please pray that Kim makes a full recovery. Your prayers are most appreciated. Hope everyone enjoys their weekend.

Best to you,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 21:18

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

Linda, that John Deere quilt is beautiful. The black and white background is perfect! It really makes the tractor pop. The quilting is beautiful! Did you do that free motion or with a computerized machine on a frame? I've seen John Deere fabric before at various places...

I'm not quilting this weekend, but I did go to sit and sew last night... I made Hummingbird cake and everyone loved it. There were only 7 people there last night, quite a change from the 19 last time. Apparently some of the ladies said there were too many people last time and got huffy and decided not to return, but we had a good time anyway. I worked on a card for an uncle whose birthday is today and who I will see tomorrow... I printed pictures and text on card stock and sewed them on the machine instead of gluing... Have to put a few finishing touches on it tonight and it will be ready to go.

My Bernina is in the shop because it developed a problem... when I hit the thread cut button, the needle got stuck down and the screen said "check hook system". I cursed it out until 5 AM one night and couldn't figure out what was going on so I took it to the Bernina place and it's been there since Wednesday. The repair tech called me today and said he couldn't get the machine to repeat the problem (of course!) so I walked him through the steps.... put the machine on straight stitch, moved the needle to the right 4 places, shorten the stitch length and sew a few stitches... then hit the button and start swearing when it malfunctions... he did all of it except the swearing part while we were on the phone and it did malfunction for him. He said it seemed like the thread cutting blade was dull (really? I wore it out in 2 months?! I did buy it used, but it only had 10 sewing hours on it when I bought it... I've had my Brother for 5 years and haven't worn out the cutter on it yet), and that it would be 60 bucks if that is the problem. He's going to call on Monday with a final determination.

It stands to reason that the sewing machine would break though... 3 weeks ago, the dishwasher started leaking all over the floor, 2 weeks ago, I dropped my beloved vintage food processor on the kitchen floor (well knocked it off the counter) and the power button broke (but I replaced it with the identical model from Ebay), and now the sewing machine... I'm losing one appliance a week it seems! I'm scared to use anything now! I'm spending all the money I was going to use for more Bernina presser feet on replacing and repairing things I already own!

The good thing is that I really loved my previous machines before I got the Bernina and kept them as back up, so I don't feel too lost! This is why we have multiple machines!

The group I do sit and sew with is having a quilt retreat day on 10/19 and the quilt is going to be a window pane disappearing 9 patch so I'm considering doing that... the only problem is that I'll have to get up at 5 AM to be there by 8 and I usually don't go to bed until then!

Anyway, I hope everyone has a lovely weekend!

This post was edited by vacuumfreak on Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 22:13

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have to share a pic of Eli looking at his new quilt. The first thing he did was get down and roll around on the tractor and then tried to wrap it around himself. lol

Linda OH

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

So cute, Linda! Can't tell a bit how much you adore him. lol

I finished the second top for Abbi's boys (pic in that thread) and think I'm done for the day. The blue border didn't get on the Mist, but I might see what fabric I have for the lotto later on.

SharonG/FL

• jackier123
    10 years ago

I managed to finish the Easy Street and get in loaded onto the frame. I also oiled and cleaned my Featherweight. I will probably bring it to retreat in case anyone needs another machine. I have been cutting and kitting up for retreat this weekend too.

Jackie