Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are you quilting this weekend? Aug. 1-3

Posted by lindaoh (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 10:42

We are getting settled in our new home in Columbus. My sewing room is still not finished but I did put most of my fabric back in the cabinet. I'm waiting for Tristan to put the legs on my sewing table and put the base of my quilting frame together.
My first project will be to make sheers for the windows above the fireplace. All the other windows have plantation shutters except for the 3 that are high above the others. The neighbors house has upstairs windows that are across from them. DH doesn't feel comfortable sitting on the couch with those windows uncovered. It will soften the light coming in during the day too.
I can't wait to get back to quilting!
Are you quilting this weekend?
Linda OH

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are you quilting this weekend? Aug. 1-3

Linda, I'm glad to hear you are getting settled!

I plan to load another quilt on the frame. I finished the donation quilt's binding last night, so the next one up is my birthday block quilt. I need to get it quilted and back off the frame before we leave on vacation next Saturday...otherwise the cats will use it for a hammock while we're gone. :)

Donna

o

Not sure. Tomorrow is DD's 13th birthday, so we'll have some birthday activities, but she also leaves for scout camp on Sunday, so we'll be packing/prepping for that.

Sunday I will be in the car all day taking her to camp.

Maybe I'll be able to do something quick...I do need to dye fabric for my Retreat Challenge, but that might not be quick enough...

o

Linda, Good to hear you're getting your sewing room set up so you can get back to quilting. We can only be expected to go a period of time before we're drawn back in. :-)

I'm working on making Bear Paw blocks so hope to get a few more of those made, de-bone another GW shirt and cut pieces for more BP blocks. I have 2 big blocks made, no design board here, so I pinned them to the curtain. It's a 12 foot wide by 4 foot high window, so I have lots of room. :-)

SharonG/FL-IN

o

I have to get my sewing room tidied up this weekend. It was originally set up as an office. This was before I began quilting. I'm going to wait until after I retire (11/14/14) to really reorganize and get my priorities straight for that little room. Very little office work - tons of quilting. I realized this morning that my lack of motivation is due mostly to the fact that my room is a mess. After it's cleaned up, I hope to do a lot of quilting this weekend in between a couple of social events we have scheduled.

o

Linda glad you are getting settled in your new home. This week I cut out some fabric for an autumn tones kaleidoscope table runner I am making just to have something different to do and to try a new pattern out. Our hot water heater is on the fritz this week, soon to be replaced. Between last night and early this morning we had 3" of rain and electrical storm. Then with this morning's heavy rain we have roof leak in the laundry room just inches away from my cabinets where I store my batting and fabrics ---- thankfully so far the inside of the cabinets remain dry ---- but I will be keeping a close eye on this especially with more rain in the forecast for the next week. Hope F-I-L can fix the roof soon. We have had a really wet year in Louisiana so far. Hope everyone enjoys their weekend. My American Patchwork & Quilting magazine came in the mail this week, so I also plan to spend some time reading through it this weekend.

Best to you,
Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 12:01

o

Wow, Lois, that retirement is coming up soon! Congratulations!

Sandra, I hope the leak is fixed soon! We had a similar storm the other day. I think it rained 2 or 3 inches in about 2 hours and lots of thunder right on top of the lightning.

Donna

o

We're entering the second week of 'way too hot', so I've actually been working on quilting quite a bit.
Today I'm continuing machine quilting my son's quilt
Tomorrow I'm attending my first 'comfort quilt' gathering since I joined the quilt guild recently.

Hope everyone can avoid all that tough weather out there and do something they love.

LindaB/CA

o

Linda, glad you're getting settled...

Donna, have you visited the quilt shop yet? I had the first part of my class there on Monday... it is a beginning quilt class, so that, combined with me being a 30 year old guy, the ladies seemed to think I didn't even know how to thread a needle. Until I pulled out my Bernina.... and then threaded it in 4 seconds .... instant respect!

I had fun, but will have to go back a few more times to finish... Also bought some best press spray and aurifil thread for the first time...

I need a break from sewing this weekend.... I went to embroider for the first time in months last night... I had 3 designs I wanted to stitch out and I went through all the drama of setting for the machine up for embroidery and found out that I've lost my medium hoop... I looked for 3 hours and finally just ordered another one for 120 dollars.... ugh!

So, no sewing.... I need a break!

But I made this before starting the break!

This post was edited by vacuumfreak on Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 17:33

o

I work tomorrow morning then will have the grands this weekend, but do intend to get some sewing in. Don't know when, but I will.

beverly

o

Cute, Bobby! Is it going to be a machine cover? I haven't gone to the Kissimmee shop yet. It's a long way from Winter Garden and I haven't felt like driving that far. :)

Donna

o

Thanks, Donna, it is going to be a "tag" for the machine's rolling tote...

I just found the missing hoop so all is right with the world! It was under a surge protector and a floor lamp! I'm just glad I bought the new one from a place that has a return policy..... I've spent 2 days looking for this thing and gotten a lot of cleaning done in the process, so maybe it was a good thing, except for the mental anguish that went along with it!

I've seen some cute sewing machine covers, but I will never make one, because I don't believe in them. I know they protect the machine from dust, but I use mine so frequently that dust usually isn't an issue, and I think appliances are works of art in and of themselves so I don't like to hide them!

I've not been to the shop in Winter Garden yet either for the same reason :o)

o

Hahaha! I had a teacher at a workshop once ask why you'd need a cover for your sewing machine since it gets used nearly every day. :).

When we were newlyweds my MIL made us covers for just about everything you could have in the kitchen...toaster, blender, etc., and she made them out of a print in colors that she liked (fall colors). Well, fall colors and covering appliances-not my thing! They lived in a closet and I had to remember to get them out whenever she was coming to visit. LOL

Donna

o

I had planned to start on the UFO pile yesterday but I was having a "down" day. But I did lay them out on the cutting table so I would have them staring me in the face. Six tops with their backings. Today seems like a better day. I hope, I hope, I hope!
Theresa

o

I got some work done on an autumn colors table runner, still need to cut batting, quilt it and then cut & sew binding - maybe will work some more on this next week. It's only in the upper 70's outside when usually in August we are in triple digit heat, so the house is nice and cool today, and so I am layered up in sweatpants, t-shirt, and flannel shirt, ... it feels like fall inside my house. This year has been wetter than normal, we are still getting significant rain and it's August and it has been cooler than usual this year so far, so I am wondering if we are in for another cold winter. We got snow like 3 or 4 times last winter which is highly unusual.

Best to you and yours,
Sandra

o

Sounds like there was lots of quilty things going on! Not at my house ... although I wanted to. Saturday I power-washed our deck floor (it's big) and then the house where all the junk went under the deck (we have a ranch style house with a walk-out basement so the deck is elevated). YUCK. By the time I finished I was too beat to do anything! Today we went to the county fair, ran errands, then I started the sanding on the railings and posts. I got about half done, so hope to get to the rest tomorrow before the rains come again!

I think I need to take my machine in for a tuneup - it wasn't holding the tension very well on the last quilt, so maybe that will help.

Looking forward to another productive week!
Sue

o

I got some fabric dying done, and then used the extra dye on some t-shirts for the kids. Today I get to rinse them all out and wash them to set the dye.

One piece of the fabric I dyed isn't going to work... not what I wanted. Such is the way of dying. I'm going to try to hit the quilt shop for a few fabrics without breaking the budget.

I also started working on fabric alphabet letters for the girls to 'do school'. Have to trace the letters and then sew. I'll try to work on those today.

o

The fabric dying sounds really fun.

I went to the "Comfort Quilts" gathering of my guild. It was interesting meeting a smaller group (I'm new to the guild) and fun participating.

I ended up bringing home a kit to make here too, but spent yesterday introducing ceramics to a friends in the garage instead. Mercifully cooler due to the overcast, but still plenty hot!
LindaB/CA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here