Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? Aug. 29-31

lindaoh_gw
9 years ago

I finally got to sew this week! I have several kits that I bought at JoAnns a few years ago. They came to the surface with this move so I decided to sew one of them. It felt so good to cut and sew again. It's been over a month since I was able to sit down and sew.
I'm still waiting for my DSIL to put the base of my quilt frame together. DD is drawing plans for my new sewing room. She wants to go to Ikea to get tables and storage units for the room. I'll see what she comes up with. It would be nice to have everything match rather than the hodge-podge of furniture I now have.
Are you quilting this weekend?
Linda OH

Comments (15)

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Well I am glad to hear you are sewing again Linda. Since I completed my parents' Card Tricks quilt earlier this past week, this weekend I will be hand-piecing baby quilt butterfly blocks and granny square quilt blocks. So glad there is no school Monday and we get a 3-day weekend. Hope everyone enjoys their Labor Day weekend.

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Yay, Linda! I'm so glad to hear you are settled enough to be able to sew. I know it feels good!

I still have my BD block quilt on the frame. Hopefully I will feel some creative juices flowing this weekend.

Donna

• loisflan
    9 years ago

I now have four quilt tops waiting to be quilted - two for my longarmer and two for my Tiara. I really need to practice, practice, practice my FMQ. That is my goal for this weekend, that is, unless I start piecing another quilt. My sis is coming to town next Thursday, and we will lay out the 272 different shades of red, reddish orange and reddish purple blocks that will be her DS and DDIL's quilt. I'm glad I've got a really big open space in my living room/dining room. And since she is just a kid (64), she can crawl around on the floor. I'll supervise.

• grammyp
    9 years ago

Yay Linda, withdrawal is over.

Since I finished the forest service and don't have anything due till Oct 19th, I am taking this opportunity to clean out my scrap bucket. I cut over 200 5 inch squares, 300 2.5 inch squares, and 60 2.5 inch strips. Some will be used in my quilts for Oct and Nov. Still have 2 boxes to go. Does that count as quilting.

beverly

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

I'd like to get some quilting done on one of my circle quilts. I'm trying to decide if I load it on the frame, or work on my table... Might have to be a combination of both.

But first, I have to do something with 2 boxes of tomatoes! Just got back from the store with additional ingredients for salsa and sauce! Got to get busy!

• polardream
    9 years ago

You must be so excited, Linda! I would be!!!

Tonight is the in-state rival football game between CSU (my alma mater) and CU (my son's alma mater!) so we will be watching that. Tomorrow we are going to the Tour de Fat bike parade / music fest in town. 20,000 plus bicyclers in costume ...
    http://www.newbelgium.com/events/tour-de-fat/fort-collins.aspx
    We also have dinner out Sunday & Monday nights - woohoo.

I took my Pfaff in for service a couple weeks ago and got it back and was able to finish 5 of the vests I am sewing for our Lions Club. Then the bottom thread started messing up and my straight stitches looked more like zig-zag. Yesterday, back to the repair shop. ... they have to replace the "hook" mechanism ... $350 MORE than I already paid for service. ($110). They are not going to charge me any service fee, just the part, but OUCH, it sure hurts! Hope they get it finished soon!!! I need to finish vests and aprons before any large quilting takes place. I did sew 6 potholders on my Featherweight last night, so that was good.

Will be kind of a mixed bag for me so we will see how much gets done!

Sue

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

So glad to hear you're able to be back at your machine, LindaOH. Sounds like everyone is busy being productive. I have most of the Growing Up Odd Quilt completed and am sewing the blocks together. I didn't make it as big as the pattern.....just cannot handle that large. Hopefully, will be able to at least get the top completed this week-end.

SharonG/FL

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Went hiking at Echo Lake today ahead of the weekend crowds. It was such a beautiful, mild day to enjoy the Sierras. Lots of through hikers and day hikers in all ages. Even lots of canine hikers.
    Tomorrow I hope to get back to the goals I posted for piecing, quilting and finishing bindings.
    LindaB/CA

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

I'm FM quilting my round robin quilt today....and probably tomorrow. Still need to make two labels for the baby quilts I'm entering in our guild show and the label for the RR project.

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Just doing the hand sewing on the binding of quilt number three for August. And even though I said I would not start another until they are all finished, three more to go, I am getting antsy to start a new project. Not sure what though.
    Theresa

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

I'm FM quilting the black/cream mariner's compass quilt. Lots of interruptions and distractions tho so it's slow going.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Quilt top is done except for border which will just be 2 1/2 inch white. I only made 9 blocks and it's 54X66 at this point and has 1083 2 inch squares not counting any of the white sashing squares. I'm pretty sure I'm done playing with little squares for awhile. :-)

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Wow, Sharon, that's a lot of squares! I can't wait to see a picture.

I finished quilting my BD block quiilt. Instead of going ahead with the binding I decided to make a lap quilt for a friend at work whose husband passed away last weekend. It's a kit I got a while back using kaleidoscope blocks and a variation, and the first few blocks took quite a while! Hopefully the rest of them will go more quickly,

Donna

• bev2009
    9 years ago

I am busy trying to finish by Fan quilt. Just finished piecing the top. Will make the backing next. I bought flannel for the batting, but rushed the thought process and didn't buy enough. Back to the store tomorrow. Hope to have this finished by Saturday. I wish I was better at FMQ because the top came out perfect and my FMQing won't be. Oh well, it is what it is.

• loisflan
    9 years ago

I'm excited. I finished FMQ 8 of the 16 baby turtle blocks, and they came out quite well. Yay! I find that I have to be quite motivated to do FMQ. It's so much easier to just piece. That's what I'm doing tonight. I'm working on the October lotto block.

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA