Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question of the Day - August 7

Posted by teresa_nc7 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 7, 11 at 10:05

If you were to choose which size pieces of fabric to receive as a gift, what would be your preference?

~ fat quarter - 18" x 22"

~ fat eighths - 9" x 11"

~ strips - 8" x WOF (width of fabric)

~ squares - 10" sq.

You can list more than one choice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question of the Day - August 7

I'd go for the fat quarter. You can do so much more with it!

o

Yup, me too, fat quarter.

beverly

o

Fat quarter for me too!
Linda OH

o

You know me! I'll take anything, but if I have to choose, it'll be the fat quarter.

SharonG/FL

o

Teresa~you mean a box of scraps isn't a choice? ~~LOL~

I don't buy very many Fat quarters - probably because I need to build a healthy stash, so I'm going to pick the 8" X WOF - a little wider would be better - but it is a gift, so I'd keep my mouth shut & be grateful to receive any of the sizes! :)

o

Ditto the fat quarter
Theresa

o

Now my first choice are the 10" squares. I really enjoyed the nickel quilts.
I don't buy many fat quarters, please explain 'you can do more with them' maybe I'm missing out lol!!!!
Rosa

o

My choice wasn't even an option.....I'd like the whole blinking bolt. LOL. I don't kick gift horses in the mouth, either. Several times I've been gifted with boxes of scraps and I've had a ball with them. But then again I tend to be a 'scrappy' quilter.

That being said, I'd prefer the fat quarters as well. I always have scraps left behind from them after I've used the larger segment for specific patterns, and by buying often in fat quarters, it leaves me with all sorts of interesting scraps for things like crazy quilts.

o

I love my fat quarters. You didn't mention jelly roll strips but they would be an option as well.

o

If its a gift, I would be happy with any size! I usually buy FQs so I suppose that would be my choice. But recently I've been attracted to jelly rolls; I've gotten 3 in the past two weeks!

o

FQ, I suppose. My DS has been giving me FQ packs as Christmas gifts for several years (guess I trained him well!) He got the biggest thrill when I showed him a quilt top I just finished with the FQs he gave me this year for Christmas! Now just get it sandwiched and quilted ...
Getting a jelly roll might be fun too.
Sue

o

I think I would like to try one of these jelly roll things. I have never bought one.

Vicky

o

I like fabric cut from the bolt...at least a meter. I never buy fat quarters, but I am with Rosa...maybe I'm missing out and would also like 'you can do more with them' explained.

~Geraldine

o

I saw this hanging in my LQS yesterday that might help with the question of what can be done with a fat quarter. I took a picture for a handy reference for me and thought I would share! Rebecca

Photobucket

o

Thank you Rebecca!!

o

Rebecca - A picture is worth a thousand words! Thank you!

I bet after you straighten the FQ - like in real life - you won't get as many cuts, but in theory, doing the math-that's what you should get. I guess I should buy more FQ's. :)

o

We're supposed to straighten the FQs? LOL! I very seldom straighten any of my fabrics and so far no major problems.

Teresa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here