Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_nc7

Question of the Day - August 7

teresa_nc7
12 years ago

If you were to choose which size pieces of fabric to receive as a gift, what would be your preference?

~ fat quarter - 18" x 22"

~ fat eighths - 9" x 11"

~ strips - 8" x WOF (width of fabric)

~ squares - 10" sq.

You can list more than one choice!

Comments (17)

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

I'd go for the fat quarter. You can do so much more with it!

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Yup, me too, fat quarter.

beverly

• lindaoh_gw
    12 years ago

Fat quarter for me too!
    Linda OH

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

You know me! I'll take anything, but if I have to choose, it'll be the fat quarter.

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Teresa~you mean a box of scraps isn't a choice? ~~LOL~

I don't buy very many Fat quarters - probably because I need to build a healthy stash, so I'm going to pick the 8" X WOF - a little wider would be better - but it is a gift, so I'd keep my mouth shut & be grateful to receive any of the sizes! :)

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Ditto the fat quarter
    Theresa

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Now my first choice are the 10" squares. I really enjoyed the nickel quilts.
    I don't buy many fat quarters, please explain 'you can do more with them' maybe I'm missing out lol!!!!
    Rosa

• calliope
    12 years ago

My choice wasn't even an option.....I'd like the whole blinking bolt. LOL. I don't kick gift horses in the mouth, either. Several times I've been gifted with boxes of scraps and I've had a ball with them. But then again I tend to be a 'scrappy' quilter.

That being said, I'd prefer the fat quarters as well. I always have scraps left behind from them after I've used the larger segment for specific patterns, and by buying often in fat quarters, it leaves me with all sorts of interesting scraps for things like crazy quilts.

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

I love my fat quarters. You didn't mention jelly roll strips but they would be an option as well.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

If its a gift, I would be happy with any size! I usually buy FQs so I suppose that would be my choice. But recently I've been attracted to jelly rolls; I've gotten 3 in the past two weeks!

• polardream
    12 years ago

FQ, I suppose. My DS has been giving me FQ packs as Christmas gifts for several years (guess I trained him well!) He got the biggest thrill when I showed him a quilt top I just finished with the FQs he gave me this year for Christmas! Now just get it sandwiched and quilted ...
    Getting a jelly roll might be fun too.
    Sue

• vicky4x4
    12 years ago

I think I would like to try one of these jelly roll things. I have never bought one.

Vicky

• day2day
    12 years ago

I like fabric cut from the bolt...at least a meter. I never buy fat quarters, but I am with Rosa...maybe I'm missing out and would also like 'you can do more with them' explained.

~Geraldine

• cannahavana
    12 years ago

I saw this hanging in my LQS yesterday that might help with the question of what can be done with a fat quarter. I took a picture for a handy reference for me and thought I would share! Rebecca

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Thank you Rebecca!!

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Rebecca - A picture is worth a thousand words! Thank you!

I bet after you straighten the FQ - like in real life - you won't get as many cuts, but in theory, doing the math-that's what you should get. I guess I should buy more FQ's. :)

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We're supposed to straighten the FQs? LOL! I very seldom straighten any of my fabrics and so far no major problems.

Teresa

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths